Nitrox question for Dr. Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo:
Hi Mike,

Silly me, believing what the home page announces ; )

BTW, the link you posted takes me to a log in page.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Observe the link for NEW USERS to register.... :wink:
It took me all of 3 minutes to complete the process to register and pull the pdf.

Hello readers:

Fatigue

Fatigue from “subclinical DCS” has been a big question over the years. I personally have a feeling that fatigue might exist post dive, but it does not result from inadequate decompression. My reasons are outlined in the following paragraphs. I am not saying that fatigue is an illusion, just that it is not from decompression gas bubbles.

Decompression Tables

Tables are always tested with human subjects. During the tests, they are always loaded to the maximum allowed. During the laboratory testing of tables with which I had some acquaintance [from saturation dives to the PADI Recreational Dive Planner], I never heard the subjects complain about fatigue. These are more severe dives than a SCUBA diver would perform with respect to gas loading. These extended dives where in a chamber; I might posit that the fatigue [if real] could result from strenuous activity in the water.

Tables always have a certain degree of conservatism built in. If divers were acquiring “subclinical DCS” and were actually close to the severe gas loads, I would actually expect more DCS cases to appear. It does not, in actuality, occur often. :blinking:

Bubbles

Decompression gas bubbles appear to form/grow more readily in tissues that exhibit movement. Muscle tissue ifs a major generator of decompression bubbles as measured with a Doppler device. Muscle tissue, however, does not elicit signs or symptoms of DCS.

I t is possible to muscle tissue releases something that produces fatigue or lethargy. Tryptophane might be a candidate compound. Laboratory tests have never demonstrated that subjects with many Doppler bubbles complain of fatigue or tiredness.

Gas Comparison

In the one case where air and nitrox were tested in a controlled setting, the dives were not very provocative. It might be difficult to form a conclusion from this study. Others have commented on this.

Placebo effect

This is very powerful. It has been noted by pharmacologists that individuals taking a placebo will often display a very high level of effectiveness and even the same side effects as the drug. This even when they are not actually aware of the side effects. All of this from a sugar pill.

Nitrox might accomplish the same effect.:coffee:

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom