Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cranstonjdc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Could someone explain the advantages of nitrox and why you would have to take a certification class for it? Im very new to diving and am just curious. All i know is it gives more bottom time which is always good.

Just a short answer, I'm sure others will go into more detail . . .

Advantages: extend one's bottom time if the diver has sufficient gas or shorten the surface interval

Class: so that one can understand the concept and computation of equivalent air depths and the understanding of PPO of gas and the result that diving oxygen enriched gas can have if not following the proper proceedures

The classes generally don't cost that much and you'll learn something . . . learning something about one's hobby, especially if it can have a seriously negative affect upon one completing one's natural nitrogen cycle, is always a good thing.

the K

As the Kraken said -- the advantage to Nitrox is that you absorb less nitrogen into your body at a given depth, if you are breathing a gas that has less nitrogen in it to begin with. This means the ability to stay longer at a given depth, before nitrogen loading mandates a return to the shallows or the surface.

What Nitrox doesn't do is change the amount of GAS you need in your tank to stay at that depth for that length of time. So, if your dives are being limited by running low on gas before you run short on NDL time, you may not see an enormous, quantifiable benefit from diving Nitrox. However, for any given depth and time, you will have less nitrogen in your body diving Nitrox as compared with diving air, and some of us think that's a good thing in general.

Why take a class? To learn about the dangers of diving oxygen-enriched gases, which can be toxic above certain concentrations. Oxygen toxicity is very dangerous, and it's important for a diver to understand what it is and how to calculate the safe range in which to use any Nitrox mix. That also helps a diver understand why it is so important to analyze your own gas before you take it underwater.

My friend, wife & I took the Nitrox course before our first trip to Bonaire back in '07. Bonaire is an island famous for shore diving; vacation packages often include unlimited pre-filled 80 cubic foot aluminum tanks (which you swap your empties for), and you can gear up and swim out to the reef in many areas so you can potentially dive 4 or 5 times per day (even more).

In a situation like that, especially if you dive rather deep (say, 80 feet, which we do) or you have a low air consumption rate (SAC) and can stay down a long time (unlike me), you can easier run into situations where the nitrogen loading in your body mandates longer surface intervals, or cutting follow-up dives short.

I've never been in a live-aboard, but if you could dive a few times a day on one, perhaps it might come in handy there, too.

Now, to do 1 or 2 30 foot rock quarry dives, Nitrox isn't so useful.

You may find this interesting; once you start using a scuba tank for nitrox, it's dedicated to nitrox. You don't alternate air and nitrox in the same tank.

Richard.

Not true. It depends on what kind of air you are using. I use air in my tanks all the time but can put nitrox in at any time. I make sure though that the air I use is nitrox compatible. Oh and none of my tanks have that big ugly bumper sticker on em that says nitrox. Just a nice small O2 clean sticker. And if you get prebanked nitrox the cylinders DO NOT have to be O2 cleaned.

cranstonjdc:
Could someone explain the advantages of nitrox and why you would have to take a certification class for it?

There are two and only two advantages - 1. longer bottom times and 2. shorter surface intervals.

You need a class to learn about the many disadvantages and to be able to use it safely.

drrich2:
You may find this interesting; once you start using a scuba tank for nitrox, it's dedicated to nitrox. You don't alternate air and nitrox in the same tank.

You might want to do a little review. If your tank is used for partial pressure blending, you need it to be O2 clean. This is to prevent a fire when pure oxygen is put into the tank. When partial pressure blending, oxygen is put in the tank and air is pumped in on top of it. That same air can be pumped into the tank without putting oxygen into it first. You can use it for air. Air is nitrox. You do need to be careful not to contaminate your O2 clean tank.

If your tank is not used for partial pressure blending, you use can it with regular air fills.

Thats a question I think I understand.Lets see..If someone does a partial pressure blending to fill a tank,it has to be O2 cleaned.If it is filled with a nitrox blend already blended to whatever percentage and the tank filled,it doesnt have to be O2 cleaned,(up to 40 percent)..Do I understand this correctly? Thanks

The classes generally don't cost that much and you'll learn something . . . learning something about one's hobby, especially if it can have a seriously negative affect upon one completing one's natural nitrogen cycle, is always a good thing.

the K

Not to get off-topic, but I have to ask. Where does one find these inexpensive nitrox classes? I've been looking and looking, and the best prices I've seen are still around 2/3 the cost of OW or AOW. I mean, my drysuit class, including drysuit rental, was HALF the price of a nitrox class. That's the ONLY reason I don't have a nitrox certification yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom