Nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburgert

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Would a nitrox certification be worth taking? I probably don't dive as much as most here do, so I would like to increase bottom time as much as possible. Does Nitrox give a significant increase in bottom time , or just a few extra minutes? Dumb questions, but I won a free nitrox e-learning course for SDI and still have to pay for the hands on portion. Just wondered if it would be worth it.

it only gives you an increase in bottom time if you are limited by your NDL's now. If you are running out of gas before you hit NDL, then it won't do anything for you.
The extent that it will increase your bottom time is dependent on how deep you are going and how rich of a nitrox mix.

Nitrox works by giving you a shallower equivalent air depth. The richer the mix, the shallower the EAD and the more NDL you have. It may or may not be worth it to you

To add to what tbone said, there are no dives required to get a EANX cert. It's all e-learning/classwork so I can't imagine a whole lot of expense. Maybe a small fee for an instructor to go over everything and quiz you and then the cost of the application/card. Call around.

If you keep diving, at some point you'll probably wish you had the cert. Personally I would go ahead and do it.

It is worth doing. In addition to increased time at depth if you are butting up against NDL now on air, it really helps when doing alot of dives in one day. Your later dives are going to have higher limits. Doing 4-6 dives in a day with Nitrox is much easier than on O2.

It will come in handy and there's no reason not to do it. It will probably give you a better understanding of some theory too.

It is worth doing. In addition to increased time at depth if you are butting up against NDL now on air, it really helps when doing alot of dives in one day. Your later dives are going to have higher limits. Doing 4-6 dives in a day with Nitrox is much easier than on O2.

obviously... having a 20ft depth limit for 4-6 dives would suck...

Take the free online course. By the end of the learning you should be able to determine how nitrox may benefit your diving. Then decide if you will really need the card.

Another unmentioned benefit of nitrox is to shorten the required SI before your next dive. This can be helpful even if you are not NDL limited.

I would also do a quick check to compare the cost of your "free" course against full fare courses from other agencies. I am always skeptic about winning "free" stuff only to find therre is a "handling charge" attached...

OP: you won the e-learning, so you are ahead of the game in a cost perspective. I do wonder what the charges are for the shop portion? I too say go for it as the knowledge should be of benefit, even if EANx isn't a benefit to your diving as it stands right now. Once you understand it, you will get a better idea of how and when to implement it in your diving.

Back
Top Bottom