Nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I won a free nitrox e-learning course for SDI and still have to pay for the hands on portion. Just wondered if it would be worth it.

Can you do the online portion and then decide whether or not you want to finish the course with the hands-on part? If so... why even debate? Doing the online portion will explain to you everything you need to know about nitrox, and then you can decide if it's something you want.

My online course included the shop visit that consisted of a short quiz and 20 minutes of theory/Pointing out the sticker and Nitrox machine.....wonder why there is a shop charge?

Yes, take it!

My online course included the shop visit that consisted of a short quiz and 20 minutes of theory/Pointing out the sticker and Nitrox machine.....wonder why there is a shop charge?

Yes, take it!

Didn't the instructor at least show you how to use the analyzer and watch you actually do it once? I had to analyze a tank, fill out the analysis sticker, and put the sticker on the tank.

I think there is some value in an instructor looking a student in the eye and emphasizing the protocol of analyzing and labeling one's own tank, as mine did. It is NOT one of those things that we are taught in class but then discover is largely ignored out in the "real world" by "experienced divers." Everywhere I have been, divers and dive ops really do take analyzing seriously. It makes sense to me that a student should be required to do it once before the instructor signs off on the Nitrox cert.

analyzing a tank (showing HOW the flow rate can change the results !!!), making sure the student understands the type of mixing that's done ARE ALL required by the shop not just saying this is a sticker this is a nitrox compressor etc

Didn't the instructor at least show you how to use the analyzer and watch you actually do it once? I had to analyze a tank, fill out the analysis sticker, and put the sticker on the tank.

I think there is some value in an instructor looking a student in the eye and emphasizing the protocol of analyzing and labeling one's own tank, as mine did. It is NOT one of those things that we are taught in class but then discover is largely ignored out in the "real world" by "experienced divers." Everywhere I have been, divers and dive ops really do take analyzing seriously. It makes sense to me that a student should be required to do it once before the instructor signs off on the Nitrox cert.

I have been on at least one boat where the shop brought tanks and had them on the boat for everyone. Almost everyone was diving nitrox. I think I was the only one that asked for an analyzer and analyzed my tanks. After I did mine, I saw a couple of people then ask to use the analyzer and check theirs, but the way it all went down made me feel pretty strongly that if I hadn't asked, nobody else would have, either.

Which is to say that I think it's very real that some people learn stuff and assume that nobody bothers in the real world. So, you end up with a boat full of people who all look around and all think the same thing and nobody does it. And maybe the new guy on the boat wants to ask for an analyzer but is afraid to look like a greenhorn by asking when nobody else seems to care.

So, I totally agree with you that every instructor should look every student in the eye and tell them DO IT EVERY TIME! Do NOT be intimidated by others who seem to think it's not important. Do NOT be intimidated by shop employees or boat crew whom you are worried about "bugging".

And if you buy and carry your own analyzer, you'll never have to worry about it....

Do you think that people should always analyze their gas no matter what they "think" is in the bottle?
Do you think that people should trust the accuracy of an unknown analyzer?

It strikes me as off that we only analyze cylinders when we think we have to, rather than uniformly at all times. And it strikes me as very odd that generally speaking we only analyze the o2/He content and are totally trusting that the shop who we don't trust to give us the mix we want have not made other mistakes which could have horrendous consequences. Why don't we ask for service records from the compressor and carbon monoxide readings before accepting gas?

I have been on at least one boat where the shop brought tanks and had them on the boat for everyone. Almost everyone was diving nitrox. I think I was the only one that asked for an analyzer and analyzed my tanks. After I did mine, I saw a couple of people then ask to use the analyzer and check theirs, but the way it all went down made me feel pretty strongly that if I hadn't asked, nobody else would have, either.

Which is to say that I think it's very real that some people learn stuff and assume that nobody bothers in the real world. So, you end up with a boat full of people who all look around and all think the same thing and nobody does it. And maybe the new guy on the boat wants to ask for an analyzer but is afraid to look like a greenhorn by asking when nobody else seems to care.

So, I totally agree with you that every instructor should look every student in the eye and tell them DO IT EVERY TIME! Do NOT be intimidated by others who seem to think it's not important. Do NOT be intimidated by shop employees or boat crew whom you are worried about "bugging".

And if you buy and carry your own analyzer, you'll never have to worry about it....

Well that also tells me that if they do not frequently check their own tanks that they also do not change their computer. You more than likely had people diving Nitrox on that boat and using Air on their computers, while there is nothing wrong with that. I would not do it.

Back
Top Bottom