Nitrox: Should I be worried?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish we had a reliable estimate of the real world risk of a 'bad tank' where the O2 mix (or CO contamination) would be off enough to jeopardize health.

For tech divers, the two leading causes of death are diving deeper than your training and diving with the incorrect gas. That means, that for the most experienced divers, one of the most effective ways to remove one of the largest risks they face is simple: analyze every tank, every time. And really, this is *NOT* a hard barrier to achieve to remove a pretty big risk!

Now that I stop and I think about it, I've never heard of someone dying from diving with the wrong gas that wasn't one of two situations: grabbing a gas with *way* too little oxygen (as in Argon for suit inflation), or grabbing a gas with *way* too much oxygen (as in pure O2). Both of these are very easily deadly. But *neither* of these are relevant in a recreational setting.

What about the gasses that *are* likely to be around a recreational setting? There have been other threads recently about 'what level of PO2 is too high?' and the general answer is that you'd have to work to kill yourself at e.g. 2.0. There's no *way* I'd try to dive that, but the odds of this actually causing OxTox is not substantial. But it's *not* zero -- or even near zero.

Combining all of this, it means that even if you're pushing the recreational limits, it is really pretty unlikely to cause a problem no matter *what* recreational mix you happen to grab. Even EAN40 (a pretty rare bottom mix) at 132 feet (at the limit of recreational levels) is only PO2 of 2.0. Again, *far* from smart, but not immediately deadly.

So we've seen that the odds of killing yourself are pretty small. So does that mean that analyzing your tanks is overrated or unnecessary? Well... while the risk is small, the consequences are *very* high: a high degree of likelihood of death if OxTox *does* happen. And the cost to prevent that is *very* small: once you're experienced, analyzing your tanks takes about 60 seconds longer than it will to find the stupid analyzer. *That* is by *far* the hardest part of the entire operation -- which is why so many of us own our own analyzers!

An analyzer is only $200 or so, last for a few years and are relatively small or light. The O2 sensor will wear out (they *all* use a variation of the exact same sensor) that costs between $70 and $100, so at that point if you bought one of the tiny compact all-in-one ones, you might as well just replace it... But borrowing an analyzer is pretty easy, too. The boat *should * have one, or just keep your eyes open. *SOMEONE* on that boat will analyze a tank: just ask to borrow it for a sec. Seeing as it's in their hands, they'll likely be happy to help: like I said, it can't take 60 seconds to analyze a tank when you have the analyzer right there. They'll probably do it for you right in front of you.

Now all of this is from the perspective of death by OxTox. But that is *NOT* the main reason why *recreational* divers should analyze. For them, the reason to analyze is to make sure you got the gas you're supposed to have. The danger is the *opposite* of OxTox: getting air when you're supposed to have Nitrox. If you dive thinking you're breathing EAN32 and take it to the edge of NDL four times in a day, yet you were really breathing air... You were in *zero* danger from OxTox because air is *safer*. But you are in much greater danger of *DCS*: air has a lot more nitrogen...

Rarely have I had a mix off far enough to matter: the book says that Nitrox can be off by as much as 2 percent! (Oxygen sensors aren't terribly precise...) But I absolutely *have* been given the completely wrong gas (air for EAN32 or vice-versa, usually wrongly given air).

So it doesn't matter. Rec diving, tech diving, whatever. Every tank. Every time. 60 seconds of effort protects against all of these risks. Just do it! :)

cootwo 1.png
Cootwo 2.png
Folks...

It's quite clear...what some divers are doing...and what some divers are obviously not doing...I know analyzing NITROX mix/logging results was part of my instruction/training...which I choose to follow...

All my fills are NITROX...I even take it a step further...I analyze and log at the fill station...and analyze and log again in my NITROX rebreather assembly/checklist...again part of my instruction and training...which I choose to follow...

Analyzing for CO is prudent as well...and AI Palm CO analyzers aren't expensive either...again it's a matter of choosing to do...or choosing not to do...

The Cootwo does both...approx $350...CO calibration requires phone app to calibrate...

Some shops are now analyzing for CO during the fill process...if it was regulated/legislated...then they'd all be doing it...

For ''hot beach'' vacation destinations...contact operators well ahead of time...ask all the questions...be prepared...

Best...

Warren

Yes, you’re being paranoid. Bad air can happen on just regular air. Smell the air when you pre-breathe your reg. Does it smell weird? Ask for another tank.

As for nitrox, check to see ahead of time if there’s an analyzer on the boat. If not, dive regular air.

Don't ever take a tech class with that attitude. The op is not all being paranoid. It sounds like they actually had a good instructor for their nitrox class. They should be concerned about o2 levels and CO that can't be detected by smell. I analyze every fill for O2 content and CO. This analyzer works well for CO and is not expensive. Carbon Monoxide Analyzer [analyzer-CO] - $118.00 : Chipola Divers, Sidemount, Technical, & Cave Diving Instruction & Mentoring

Got a somewhat related question for those using their own analyzer. Since O2 sensors eventually need replacing, what happens to cue you in on that? Is it age, # of tanks analyzed, does the analyzer display an alert, or do you get suspicious when the reading is much different from what the tank is supposed to be, so you check against another analyzer?

Richard.

The analyzers I have owned begin showing wonky numbers when it's time to replace the sensor. I'll get 36% that will then show 14%, 48%, etc. I usually change the sensor every three or four years and always cap it off between uses.

Bad air can happen on just regular air. Smell the air when you pre-breathe your reg. Does it smell weird? Ask for another tank.
giphy (1).gif

Some shops are now analyzing for CO during the fill process...if it was regulated/legislated...then they'd all be doing it...
Yeah, DAN gave Meridiano on Cozumel an inline CO analyzer. The problem is if they get busy, and the compressor runs hot - they can ignore the alarm. I check every tank.

Don't ever take a tech class with that attitude. The op is not all being paranoid. It sounds like they actually had a good instructor for their nitrox class. They should be concerned about o2 levels and CO that can't be detected by smell. I analyze every fill for O2 content and CO. This analyzer works well for CO and is not expensive. Carbon Monoxide Analyzer [analyzer-CO] - $118.00 : Chipola Divers, Sidemount, Technical, & Cave Diving Instruction & Mentoring
The Sensorcon CO analyzer can work, but I don't like the tank adapter - which I think they quit making. Flow rate can affect readings. It looks less professional to use a gallon ziplock, but works well. Take plenty of bags to replace daily as they develop leaks.

If they'll sell it alone for $118, great. I think they've gone up. I send mine back every other year for a new sensor & battery, leave it on all the time - great in your hotel room to protect against CO there.

Am I a 'health and safety' freak? No. Would I use a nitrox mix I hadn't personally verified? no!

Jim...

The CO analyzer from Chipola Divers...do you have one...do you recommend it...at that price...no need to worry about sensor/battery replacement...I'd also include the tubing/DIN fitting accessories...

Are you using a bump (calibration) gas to calibrate unit...

Best...

Warren

Always analyze your tanks. I haven't been diving long (only 20 logged dives) and I've already received one tank that was not even in the ballpark of what I asked for. I asked for a 32% O2 fill (the shops banked Nitrox) and I ended up with 24%. I had 32% in that tank on the prior fill. The only way they could have ended up at 24% is if they filled it from an air line...not a banked Nitrox line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom