Nitrox speciality question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alfie227

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys

I'm returning to diving after a break of a few years. Before taking a break I had completed a Nitrox spec course but from reading a few things on here I dont know if it has changed or if I need to retake it.

I've read a few descriptions of Nitrox courses and they mention that they include checking the mix. I didnt do this on my spec course, is it a new addition or was it simply overlooked?

As I get back into diving will there be any requirement to re-do the course or can I get a sharpen up, much like a refresher dive but for nitrox?

Thanks for your help

Alfie

It might have been overlooked. If you still have the C-Card, just ask your local shop to show you how to do this. It's very simple.

I've read a few descriptions of Nitrox courses and they mention that they include checking the mix. I didnt do this on my spec course, is it a new addition or was it simply overlooked?
Checking your mix is a quick, simple procedure. It is critical that you check your mix before every dive, set your dive computer to that mix and dive w/in your Max. Operating Depth ( MOD )!

I would recommend a nitrox refresher.

Checking your mix is a quick, simple procedure. It is critical that you check your mix before every dive, set your dive computer to that mix and dive w/in your Max. Operating Depth ( MOD )!

I would recommend a nitrox refresher.

Beav is 2/3s right: it's a quick, simple procedure and it is critical that you use it. Beyond that, he's helping ensure you spend money for :censored: you don't need.

A basic EAN "refresher" (read full course) will teach you the following:

1. Have a O2 analyzer, whether yours or the boat/shop's;
2. Calibrate said analyzer;
3. Use calibrated analyzer on tank(s) you intend to dive;
4. View O2% reading on calibrated analyzer, mark tank and sign shop log (if applicable) with O2% reading;
5. Ignore anything anyone told you about that tank's O2% and use only the O2% reading you determined on your own when calculating PPO2 during your dive(s) with the tank(s);
6. Abide by whatever MODs your max PPO2 limits indicate for the O2% reading you determined on your own. Failure to do so may result in your instant death by convulsion-induced drowning. And by "instant" I do mean "no warning signs whatsoeverBOOM!" Or there may be warning signs. It depends on things nobody really understands. Note: instant death by convulsion-induced drowning may occur anyway, but is less likely to happen if diving within MODs.
7. ...
8. PROFIT! (for whatever shop was offering the course, that is).

Excellent, thanks for the tips. I'll have a word with my local instructor and ask him to go over it again with me.

Ta

When I took my SSI nitrox course 8 or so years ago we had to use an analyzer as part of the certification. It is simple and easy to do. If you still have your course material I would re-read it and as the others have said go to your dive shop and have them walk you through it. It's really simple. B

According to your profile you're PADI. PADI Nitrox class has required checking a tank for a long time - certainly did when I did it in 2000 - and probably always. So if you really didn't do that it was overlooked or something, might make you wonder what else they overlooked.

Anyway, as long as you understood everything the first time I think rereading the manual is a pretty good refresher.

Also keep in mind that there are many different models of analyzers so you will probably come across one in your diving future that you cannot figure out. IN this case, have the dive shop show you that the mix is correct using their analayzer.

It used to be that you had to do certification dives for Nitrox and that is no longer true. Re-reading the manual should get you back up to speed.

another option is to just buy your own analyzer. It will come with instructions on how to use it. If you have taken the Nitrox course, and understand partial pressures, the instructions should make complete sense. This option is probably a little more expensive than retaking the course, but you will get to keep the analyzer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom