Nitrox stick flow meter rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is slow @tbone1004. Mine is slow but it will fill my banks in about 6.5 hours from dead empty to 4,500. Do your scuba tanks that you got back add up to 1,700 cuft? You've got a lot of tanks to fill.

2x lp 121's
2x hp120's
2x lp85's
12x al80's

about 1700cf. There's a lot... That's not all of them, though it is most of them. I have them almost all on a similar cycle, the next hydro cycle they'll be all done at once. I have a 3 hr drive to my hydro guy which is at least on the way to Raleigh and I head up there pretty frequently but saving $12/tank to take it to him makes it worth it

"And yet if that statement were true, compressor service techs would make less money if you were only pumping air."
I'm not sure what that means. Compressors fail. Tire shop compressors, nail gun compressors and scuba compressors. Do they fail quicker pumping 32%? I have my doubts. Certainly if you don't have a solenoid valve that keeps O2 from filling the intake if the compressor shuts off there could be a problem. I'm going to bet you can't give me many examples of compressors proven to have failed from 40% or less.

In other words what I ment was that compressor techs make more money, more often with nitrox pumps than with the same brand pump just pumping breathing air.

Now I trust your not a betting man. I make enough money than to take more off a wild card bet.
But in answer to your other question firstly we should define your term “proven failed”

Would you agree that the term “failed” include premature wear on rings and pistons?
Also can we include premature failure of the oil due to to the high oxidation levels the nitrox brings to the party resulting in premature bearing failure, sticky valves, heat retention, overheat resulting in oil lubrication failure. The fail cycle.

Can we also include gas purity failure, premature filter chemical failure
How about high levels of long chain hydrocarbon compounds (burnt stuff) carry over.

Then the real issue of some of the real nasty oil breakdown compounds, the real issue is how safe are these? Some of these exotics are highly dangerous in industry let alone at 30 MSW off some live aboard and your CO detector still read zero CO.

Futher the PADI air purity test certificate on the wall don’t test for them and the industry stays silent over the matter. Can we add these to the term “Failure”

By concentrating on that one scuba industry position that 40% is safe because it doesn’t explode in your face is a foolish and frankly risky position. A position the scuba industry as a whole has preferred than to slowly and carefully go over all the proven failures one by one and risks taken by the innocent operators in order to educate both user and seller of the greater risks involved.

So to kick off so to speak in terms of failure first we agree.
1. Premature mechanical oil lubricated compressor wear,
2. Lubrication breakdown contamination up and including bearing failure
3. Additional Gas purity contamination.
4. Discharged of non adsorbed exotic compounds in the breathing gas and finally
5. Ignition risk and the subsequent damage

And in case it appears we see risk in only what we test for we haven’t yet even got around to the solenoid valve or for that matter the membrane.
Again its off topic as far as the OP question is concerned, But what you don’t know won’t harm me.

Last edited:
QUOTE (And yet it is done on a daily basis by many thousands of compressors running in all kinds of conditions all over the world with few problems. ) they fail all the time even injuring people ....

QUOTE (And yet it is done on a daily basis by many thousands of compressors running in all kinds of conditions all over the world with few problems. ) they fail all the time even injuring people ....
Yep. They fail. Nitrox or not.

"all the time"? That doesn't seem reasonable. We hear about these incidents. If there is one thing you can count on in this day and age is that if something sensational happens to ordinary folks or even something that can be portrayed as sensational, we will hear about it. This application has a pretty good track record from what I can find. I'd like to see more that just an assertion that "hundreds fail". But of course I could be wrong. "I could be totally wrong but I'm a dancing fooooooooooooooooooool"

maybe call jordair and ask them the stats ...

do what you want brt , till the compressor fails ....you cant help some people as they know whats best for them .

I've done a fair bit of investigating this subject by reading the oxyhacker's companion and searching back through about 8 scuba related websites back to the beginning of the sites that are still up and running. What I have found is this. There was a bunch of activity about the practice when sticks first became popular with plenty of worry and gnashing of teeth about pumping elevated levels of O2.

There has been no cases that I've heard discussed where the practice has been believed by the users to have led to premature failure of the compressor. There have been some where the location of the compressor has been led to failures from overheating and some comparisons that show that pumping nitrox slightly raises temps but that has been debated without apparent resolution. Pumping trimix is a different thing altogether and has been shown to significantly raise head temperatures.

There have been many cases where users have reported many years of success with pumping nitrox. The manufacturers have almost all recommended against the practice as would I if I had no control over the percentage of the mix. Many posts from back then and now by Iain have warned against the use of oil lubricated compressors for the practice and I am not cynical enough to claim it is because he works for a company that is famous for oilless compressors but it would be nice if he wasn't the biggest opponent to using oiled machines for pumping breathing air. I, myself opted for the Rix to help to ease my mind. I decided to operate it in my house rather than my shop so the temps could be controlled and the process could be closely monitored. I use an auxillary cooling fan and my head temps at max pressure are 235, 191 and 194 degrees f for the 1,2 and 3 stages.

If this practice were causing a number of premature failures, I believe the years of discussions of the practice would be filled of stories. Instead there is good advice of the ways to minimize the risks and lots of people getting systems up and running. Threads are started and after the first few times running the machine the posters disappear. That's what I did. After mine started reliably producing 32% with no problems for about 1.5 cents per cuft. I just went on to other things and enjoy my bank of EAN32 and the fact that I really never see a reason to settle for diving air again. I promise if a problem develops in this 25 year old compressor, I will let you know.

The fact that a distributor believes that it is a problem and that you must use a specific block for continuous blending or face failure or contamination is not surprising to me in the least. It's not unlike the countless warnings I received from internet posters and service techs about topping off the tank in my Prius. It will lead to blah blah reduced mileage because blah blah. They heard and repeated it so many times it became their truth. OK no problem. I did it on every tank for 245,000 miles and traded it in on my current one that now has 130,000 miles. My wife did the same in hers for 235,000 miles and she has 100,000 miles in her second one. We are still waiting to experience the canister replacements and the dreaded battery replacement and all the other dire warnings we received from the people that were convinced we were idiots. We never had to fix anything.

Now this is way off topic from the original question that was asked but I will still post it because I am that happy about what I have done and experienced with pumping my own gas.

Or maybe just keep pumping nitrox.

But It get harder to do that when your spitting teeth, and eating through a straw having believed everything you know about nitrox from the oxy hackers handbook. LOL

Oh and after spending $4000 on a auto blender nitrox stick thing with safety solenoid.

And I should add for Ray and others that the green stuff on the ground is called grass, we have a lot of in here in Europe, maybe less so in Texas.
But what you all will recognise are the red stains being the blood splatter and the brown, body fluids.

Nitrox 36 Safe Air!!!

kompressor_eks5.jpg
[/URL]

kompressor_eks3.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom