Nitrox stick flow meter rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iain
Every time you post I feel better about buying a Rix. In the same way I feel great about buying a Toyota when I'm at the dealership. You feed my fanboy reverence for the product. I have however seen you make some references to not pumping nitrox through a rix. What is the reason for that?

Iain
Every time you post I feel better about buying a Rix. In the same way I feel great about buying a Toyota when I'm at the dealership. You feed my fanboy reverence for the product. I have however seen you make some references to not pumping nitrox through a rix. What is the reason for that?

And every time you post about what your doing with the thing I loose sleep LOL

Three clear and concise reasons for not pumping nitrox with a SA-6. (without a clear understanding of the build spec and the modifications required)

1. First read the Data Plate, the label will tell you what gas it is designed for. Or on the registration page in the manual.
2. If the model number starts with a SA-6 or SA-6A or SA-6B and it say air compressor, it is an air compressor.
3. Don't use the generic company name Rix and not include the critical model number.

The fact that the SA-Series are oil-free and both oil-free and oil-less air compressor is an advantage granted but none the less it is still an air compressor unless built otherwise.

Now by contrast say you want a 30 CFM or 40 CFM 5000 psi compressor for compressing Nitrox up to lets say 50% or 60% or 70% I don't care. The model number would be the same, but lets say you now required it suitable for compressing pure 100% oxygen filling to say 3625 psi, with say upto a 5psi inlet pressure, then the model number would be different again.

The only other interesting issue you are going to struggle with is that both the compressors above for nitrox or oxygen are oil lubricated and use 7 litres of standard mineral based oil for lubrication, not only is the oil standard mineral based machine oil costing about $20 a gallon and with a standard $15 automotive type oil filer.

But the $20 oil change is every 5000 hours running (Five Thousand hours)
Funny old world. But I trust you see the difficulty in making generic statements.

Wow. All this just from me asking about a flow meter rate. Guys y'all should really go diving. It reduces stress, unlike being on here. Lol

Iain
So your three concise reasons for not using a SA-6 for pumping Nitrox all boil down to being because it doesn't say Nitrox on the label? What is going to fail if head temperatures are maintained and the mix stays below 40%?

So what is aluminium in this system and how have you seen it fail? My heads have been updated.

Iain you'll never convince some people what's good for them , people still drive with out a seatbelt because they haven't had an accident , ask them if they will after they go threw the windshield

abnfrog- can you cite an example of a compressor blowing up pumping 32% or 36%? I know it has happened when the compressor restarted with the O2 still flowing but that is no longer 32% or 36%. Can you cite an example? I don't mean a picture without explanation of what happened.

This is the largest scuba related forum on the planet. Can you find the documented instance on the board in the last 19 years of it's existence. This isn't one of the many ways that people get hurt where we can find multiple accounts of how it has gone wrong. I'm asking for some documented cases involving people that we know of. One?

I can send you several instances of partial pressure blending mishaps where people were severely injured or killed. I'm going to stop engaging on this because you are right some of us you will never be convinced (without evidence). If you need the instances that show explained and some unexplained incidents related to pp blending I can link to some.

I have looked for the same when it comes to properly setup continuous blending accidents. I can't say they haven't happened. I'm just saying I have been unable to find them in the absence of extenuating circumstances. I would be interested in any examples that can be found. I can assure you I'm no expert. I am looking for new info. Iain hasn't provided anything that I haven't seen him post on other threads and other boards. None of it is specific to what I am doing.

Reactions: BRT
look A/ this is not a court of law so I don't get cross-examined . B/ if the manufacture of my compressors says don't do or your warranty is up and it could hurt you ,I listen , they are NOT trying to sell me another compressor, so I don't think they are lying , ive told you to talk to them you wont , so be go with god im done with you do what you want .

look A/ this is not a court of law so I don't get cross-examined . B/ if the manufacture of my compressors says don't do or your warranty is up and it could hurt you ,I listen , they are NOT trying to sell me another compressor, so I don't think they are lying , ive told you to talk to them you wont , so be go with god im done with you do what you want .
We will, along with most of the dive shops in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom