Nitrox/Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the SP Mk25 S600. It's a great regulator!

Speaking for myself, my Titanium regulator is worth it for the reason pointed out by "fnfalman"...less weight.

Many of my favorite places to dive are in Southeast Asia. Some of the smaller domestic flights I take there have a baggage weight limit of 15 kilos! So saving a couple of pounds here is important to me.

Otherwise I might only be able to carry my dive gear and a pair of speedos......and nobody wants to see a guy my age in speedos!

-thomjinx

do you need anything else but speedos to dive in that area :wink:

Yeah, you're right. They're all hype. My bad.

I'm sorry but as a chemical engineer I cry foul...

The problem with titanium regulators catching fire was that titanium oxidizes easily (exothermic reaction). Coupled that with high pressure and you get a case of flame.

So in other words, they catch fire more easily than brass, which was exactly my point.

Tom

Thanks for all your input, I had a talk with my local dive shop and I think buying a used reg, on eBay even if it is say $400.00 for a used $1100.00 reg may not be a wise move seeing I would have no warranty and have to pay $200.00 or so for an over haul. I'm really enjoying this site.
Thanks again

I hope you dont fall for that Dive shop line.. Ugh...

You are better off saving your $ than spending 3 times the money just to appease a dive shop.

Look at online shops..

So in other words, they catch fire more easily than brass, which was exactly my point.

Tom
No. You said that titanium burns at lower temperature than brass which is patently incorrect.

Let's take Atomic Aquatics for example, their T2X titanium regulator is rated for up to 40% nitrox. You telling me that Atomic is purposely putting out a product that catches fire and kill divers?

A lot of metals will burn in an oxygen atmosphere.
The problem with Titanium (and magnesium) is once they start to burn, they can sustain themselves as the metal is the fuel for the fire. And that is in an 21%, 1 atm environment. Once a titanium fire starts its very hard to put out. It also burns very very hot.

That said, Titanium brings a lot to the table besides weight. It is the only metal that has a zero corrosion rate in salt water. Even 316L has a small surface and a moderate crevice corrosion rate.

That said, Titanium brings a lot to the table besides weight. It is the only metal that has a zero corrosion rate in salt water. Even 316L has a small surface and a moderate crevice corrosion rate.

I personally don't consider the mass reduction a benefit. Rather, that just forces me to add ballast elsewhere.

I doubt that the corrosive properties will be evident over the average life of a reg.

While I personally use titanium for many aerospace applications, I can't find a way to call it appreciably beneficial to divers

Last edited:
I don't use titanium regs if that tells you my opinion :wink:

The Titanium is only in the first stage, as most 1st stages weigh in at about 1 pound, the weight reduction from the use of titanium would be at most 2 to 4 oz.

For air travel you would be better off having an enema prior to going to the airport.

Now come to think of it, buying a titanium regulator is just like an enema for the wallet.

Back
Top Bottom