Nitrox training worth it w/o a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree on all that. The instructor could probably also show all the many functions on the computer, thus skipping trying to understand all that stuff in the manual. I've had two computers so far.
If you came to me for instruction with a computer I had never used before, I wouldn't have any more of an idea how to find its features than you would.

In order to cover themselves, the fill the manual with much more information than you will ever need, so the RTFM (Read the Manual) advice is problematic--your head will be spinning with useless information before long. A computer-based OW course teaches you the key ideas of all computers, so you can know what they do. this enables you to navigate the manual effectively. If instead you open the manual with the intention of finding out the key features you learned about in your OW class, like dive planning, emergency decompression, ascent rate monitoring, setting oxygen, etc., you should get would you need and actually understand it.

There is a question in the open water course quick review that the answer on using a computer is READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

I agree with boulderjohn regarding instructors and computer manuals. First, while my EAN instructor could give me some good basic info about what my computer should do, he was not familiar with an i300, nor did I expect him to be. Too many different computers out there.

Second, I got my first computer after my AOW class a year and a half ago, which was more of a refresher class after 25 years without diving. I was able to figure out the basics, but there was a lot in the manual that still made no since. After taking the EAN class last spring, I now understand the nitrox part, and having my computer with me in the class helped me to better understand my computer. And while I can now read, and understand, that part of the manual, the whole “read the manual and know your computer before class” statement is a bit unrealistic. There is still stuff in the manual that I don’t understand, but it’s regarding functions that I don’t, and probably won’t, use.

I will say, though, that I would advise anyone that their first piece of purchased equipment should be a computer, unless diving only on vacation and staying in the 30-45 ft range.

Erik

And while I can now read, and understand, that part of the manual, the whole “read the manual and know your computer before class” statement is a bit unrealistic. There is still stuff in the manual that I don’t understand, but it’s regarding functions that I don’t, and probably won’t, use.

The "probably won't use" portion of the manual did bite me in the a** and give me a chuckle, after the fact.

The dive was uneventful but close to NDL as far as I saw on the the trip upslope and the safety stop. On the surface the computer was flashing deco. I told my buddy an we went back to 15' and I tried to find out what was going on with the computer. Everything looked fine as far as the computer was concerned, no ceiling, but we ran the air really low before surfacing.

When looking at the downloaded data, I went in and out of deco for less than a minute on a flat spot on the upslope and missed seeing it, so the computer readings looked fine to me on the dive. At the surface the computer was reminding me that I was in deco during the dive, but since I missed that sentence in the book, I assumed it was telling me I was still in deco so back down I went. It was confusing to me when, back at the stop, everything looked fine. I did the safest thing I could think of and extended my stop as long as possible.

After that episode, besides feeling like a knucklehead, I spent a lot of time reading the book. I still go through it on an ongoing basis because it easy to forget portions I don't use often.

Bob

Years ago someone made a post related to reading the manual of a computer. This was in the earliest days of computing, so it was a very early model--I have no idea what. As he was getting near the end of the dive, it gave him a curious message: dn ob.

He tried to guess what "dn ob" could possibly mean. He went through every possible acronym, every possible situation, and he could not think of a thing. So he surfaced, got out the manual, and looked it up. He could not find it in there.

After a while, he realized what it was. He had the computer on upside down. It was actually telling him to go up.

If you came to me for instruction with a computer I had never used before, I wouldn't have any more of an idea how to find its features than you would.

In order to cover themselves, the fill the manual with much more information than you will ever need, so the RTFM (Read the Manual) advice is problematic--your head will be spinning with useless information before long. A computer-based OW course teaches you the key ideas of all computers, so you can know what they do. this enables you to navigate the manual effectively. If instead you open the manual with the intention of finding out the key features you learned about in your OW class, like dive planning, emergency decompression, ascent rate monitoring, setting oxygen, etc., you should get would you need and actually understand it.
Yeah, agree on all of that for sure. My owner explained my first computer to me, but maybe he had used that model himself. But yeah, all kinds of info. that's not really necessary. There should always be a basic 2-3 pages on what you really need to know. Those manuals are much like the ones for a car. How the Hell to I change the clock to daylight time.....Much less setting tabs to your favourite radio stations.

There should always be a basic 2-3 pages on what you really need to know.
I can’t speak to other companies but both my i300 and Geo 2 came with laminated quick reference cards that cover the basics. I always take them with me for a predive refresher.

Erik

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. We did find a shop that will teach us the course next month, for $ 280 each including materials.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. We did find a shop that will teach us the course next month, for $ 280 each including materials.

That sounds high. You can do the PADI online course and then get the check out "quiz and tank analysis" at your local dive shop (that you select when you sign up for it) for considerably less, I think it's about $150.

$280 each sounds high here as well. We have students complete PADI enriched air online. When they come in for practical there is no charge at all, free.they only pay PADI for access to course and choose us a s their facility.

Back
Top Bottom