NJ/NY Wreck Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday 6/26

We headed to the Pinta and encountered a disappointing 15' of vis and 45F. A few small bugs and and egger were found but not much else. Next we headed to the Marilyn D, a nearby wooden barge. Again, visibility was not so great and the water was the same temp.

Sunday 6/27 AM

Stayed inshore and did the tugboat Venturo. 40' of vis and temps in the upper 40's. Lots of fish were seen. The schooner Dykes was the second stop and the vis was also around 40' with a bottom temp of 49F.

Sunday 6/27 PM

Based on the earlier reports of 40', we took the 2nd charter of the day back to the Dykes. Visibilty was about 25', but the water was still 49F. Lots of fish were seen including several huge blackfish. Conditions were so nice, we opted to stay for two dives!

I went out on the Tuna Seazure to the Great Isaac and Double East on Wed. The conditions were perfect, sunny, clear, less than 3 ft seas. As usualy Capt. Bill got us out fast and the mate Bart got us tied in to the Isaac. Visibility was a good 30' and bottom temp was 49 degrees. It was my first time in the ocean with my doubles, so I just toured the wreck for about 20 minutes. After surfacing we headed in to the Double East, a barge that sunk carrying huge marble or granite slabs. Still 30' vis and 49 degreee bottom temps. The wreck isn't much to look at, but the slabs create a nice environment for fish (tons of black bass) and lobsters. Bart pulled up 3 lobsters and another diver got one. All in all a great day of diving off NJ. We pulled anchor and got back quick. I was on the road home by 1:40.

ok, that is just plain crap JerseyDevil. im at work and you get to dive on a beautiful weekday. then you have to come on here and stick it in everyones face. your a bum!

weekender:
ok, that is just plain crap JerseyDevil. im at work and you get to dive on a beautiful weekday. then you have to come on here and stick it in everyones face. your a bum!
sorry, just think of it as living vicariously through me

I concur. My fiancee keep sending me pics that he is taking with his phone-cam of the view from the banner plane he is flying today over Wildwood. No fair! :blahblah: :cussing: :crying: :mad1:

Saturday 7/10 we headed for the Arundo. Surface temp was 72 and the temp on the bottom was 46. We had 50' of vis on the bottom. About a dozen bugs were brought up. Lots of flat fish (mostly winter flounder, I think), but none brought up. Next we hit one of Capt. Tom's scallop wrecks and brought up a couple HUNDRED scallops. A heck of a day to be out diving!

Sunday 7/11 I was lucky enough to be driving the boat, so there was no diving for me. Once again conditions were ideal as we headed for the Stolt but ended up on the Coney Island. Temps were similar to the day before, but the vis was only 30'. Alot of small bugs were seen, but no keepers. We headed inshore for our 2nd dive and hit the Sea Girt. Vis was 25' or so and the temp was a little warmer. Two bugs and a fluke were brought up.

Saturday 7/17: For the 2nd week in a row, we headed for the Arundo and did two dives. Although the surface temp was down to 68F, the bottom had warmed up to 49F. Vis was around 30'. A couple lobster came up including a 4 lb'er that everyone swam by that was sitting in an old overgrown lobster pot 20' from the anchor line. An old spoon (hopefully from the wreck) came up as well.

Sunday 7/18 AM: We stayed close to shore with the gloomy forecast, so we headed to the Hankins. Vis was close to 30' and the bottom was 51F. A half dozen bugs came up. We headed for the Delaware for a 2nd and were greeted with pretty crappy vis.

Sunday 7/18 PM: With the threatening forecast, we stayed even closer to shore for the afternoon charter. First dive was to the Railroad Barge where we had 15-20' of vis. Unfortunately, there were several divers who reported seeing a dead sea turtle on the wreck that was tangled in rope. 2nd dive we hit the Spartan on the way back in and had similar vis. Oh yeah, the rough seas never materialized as we had 2-3' seas until we docked at 7:30pm.

We took the Outlaw out of Bel Mar on 7/17 to the Algol.

The weather and seas were perfect for diving. The temp off the coast was high 70’s with a slight breeze. Seas where light chop.

For anyone who has not been on the Outlaw. This is an older boat. She shows her age quite a bit. It is a single level deck with a VERY narrow cabin. If the weather gets rough or wet it gets quite crowed on the ride out and back as all the divers jam together to stay dry. This, however, leaves quite a bit of space along the sides of the boat for tanks, gear, etc. Given the two, I’ll take more deck space… I can always put on my dry suit to stay warm and dry.

We got out of the harbor about an hour late due to the Mate having car trouble. As Wes (the Mate) stated it’s a sad day when all the divers have arrived and are on board before any of the crew. This was an unfortunate situation… but in the interest of fair reporting, facts are facts.

We pulled out and followed the Venture III out to the parking lot. We originally planned on diving the Stolt… but it seems the Venture is a faster boat and to the swift goes the spoils. There was another boat tied off on the Coney Island… so it looked like another dive on the Algol.

Wes drops over and we watch him drop down. After he sets the hook we can see him on the line on the way up.... The visibility is awesome! Wes climbs back on board and gives the brief:

“The sand is at 130 (140 in the cargo holds and wash out near the haul), bottom temp is low 50’s, the hook is set at the high point at the stern of the ship. Watch out for the current, it is ripping at both the surface and the wreck”

Suit-up… over the side… and down to the sand at 128... Visibility is about 30 ft. There is quite a current, but I wouldn’t say “ripping”… My buddy is at the railing so I don’t have much time before I need to go back up to him. I just want to take a quick look with the hopes of catching a lobster unaware. I swim along the haul for about 3 min and don’t see anything. Up I go back to the railing at 100’. A Big OK sign with my buddy and we swim off along the side of the ship. We have both dove the Algol before so we are somewhat familiar with the lay out. We cruise along the railing poking our heads in holes and sight seeing. After a bit, Larry signals it’s time to hunt. So using all our stealth and cunning, we sneak up on a clump of Muscles and wrestle them into the goodie bag. We stuff the bag and then Larry gives the signal that he’s running low on gas. DAMN! I really need to get him on a diet and excercise routine. Up we go… 50 for 2… 30 for 2… 15 for 3… a quick swim under the boat to the ladder and we are out.

Surface interval: Change over the tanks. The Mate takes a headcount. Everyone is up and accounted for. I wolf down my crackers and juice (I’m happy to report that they stayed down) and then took my usual service interval nap laying in the sun on the bow of the boat! Does it get any better than this?

Second dive: Drop over the side with Larry and Frank. We meet at 15. A quick bubble check and then drop down to the deck of the wreck. This time we spend the whole time site seeing. Looking into rooms… we do a couple of fun swim throughs. I REALLY need to get the skills and training to start doing penetrations. I felt like I was at the prom again. I could look and play a bit… but until I figure out how to do it safely I’m not supposed to penetrate. I guess I’ll be signing up for the wreck course soon. Up we come 50, 30 15 again. This time there is a bunch of us on the line doing our hangs. Maybe a john line is in my future too… in the end, I hung to the bottom of the group and did an extra 5 min on the line so I could stay below them and do my 15 hang without all the traffic.

Up on the boat. Strip down…. Have a snack and watch the boat crew struggle with the anchor for about 45 min. What a drag. Wes has to drop down for a 3rd dive to figure out what the anchor is hung up on (he is having a bad day, first the car problems and now this). Finally we are free… Muscles in a nice red wine sauce for dinner!

The Boat Crew did an excellent job. They were true dive professionals. We were assisted into and out of the water. Attention was always on safety. Which makes up for the boat itself, which has seen better days. The divers on the boat were mostly experienced Jersey divers which is nice. I consider myself a rookie still and it is nice to dive with people who know what they are doing and are always willing to give advice on technique, gear, or whatever.

And the quote of the day “NICE DIVE”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom