NJ/NY Wreck Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You speak truth. Or worse yet, making it out to the dive site and puking too much to make it into the water. Now THAT sucks. Don't ask me how I know this. :05:

SueMermaid:
Don't ask me how I know this. :05:

Oh please....do tell!!!!

I was out that night as well....I could have written the exact report, but substitute the Cadet for the Riggy. Got 2 lobster and had to leave a nice size female with eggs.

8/28 AM
Saturday morning found us on our way to the Tolten. Once there we found 30' of visibility and 52F bottom temp. About a dozen decent size bugs were brought back aboard and many others were just out of reach.

Our second dive brought us back to the Mohawk where we had maybe 20' of vis while tied into the Mohawk's anchor chain up on the bow. A couple bugs were brought up.

8/28 PM
After a bumpy trip back out to the Mohawk, we anchored up and did a dive ala Daylight. Visibility was 15-25’ depending on who you asked. After a hearty bar-b-q, we were treated a beautiful sunset. Around the same time the 7/8 full moon came up out of the East. 30 minutes later divers started back down the anchorline to see the dark side of the Mohawk not everybody gets to see. Fortunately alot of bugs came out of hiding. Unfortunately, only a few were legal enough to bring up.

Labor Day Weekend
The Dina Dee will be running an Open Boat on 9/5 leaving at 6am with the intended destination being the Gulftrade. Give Capt. Tom a call at 732-899-7840 if interested.

The Dina Dee will be also be running an Open Boat on 9/6 (Labor Day) leaving the dock at 7am. No destination at this time. Max 130'. Give Capt. Brian a call at 732-613-4560 if interested.

wrekdiver2:
8/28 AM
Give Capt. Brian a call at 732-613-4560 if interested.

I'm interested, I just can't get my boss to let me leave Colorado! Hope you guys are having a good summer of diving. Think of me crawling on my belly in resevoir mud on your next dive.

octotat:
Think of me crawling on my belly in resevoir mud on your next dive.

Thanks, we'll try. Sorry you can't make it.

Good luck with that MUD!

The Scuba Connection chartered the Outlaw dive boat for what was supposed to be a trip to the Maurice Tracey. Due to the rough seas and expected poor bottom viz, we stayed inshore and looked for wrecks with some bottom relief. Seven divers made the trip including one first timer NJ wreck diver.

Seas were 3'-6' with a few rolling waves to make it interesting.

The first dive was on the "Half Tanker" or "the bow", which is just that. Its a three story bow of a ship sitting upright in about 70 feet. ZERO viz. on the bottom and 5-7 feet everywhere else below 40'. At 40', there was a clear view up to the dive boat. Temp was 63 degrees on the bottom. No fish were taken and the only fish seen were inside the tip of the bow. The surge was rough...40 minutes was enough.

The second dive was on the Reef barge. Same surface conditions but rougher in the water. There was a strong current on the wreck which made it feel like a river dive. The surge was also making this a not-so-fun dive. 63' max. depth with viz. of 5-7 feet all around, even on the sand. Temp was 64 degrees on the bottom. Several very nice sized black fish were brought up.

9/11 AM

Headed out to the Sea Girt Reef in snotty seas and hit the Venturo tug and had about 5' of vis. 2nd dive on the Dykes produced around 10'. Bottom temps warmed up to low 60's.

9/11 PM

Headed out to the Mohawk for a 2-tank night dive. Seas calmed down a bit. Vis was about 15' and the bottom temp was 63F. A couple bugs were brought up.

9/12 AM

We headed out to the Mako Mania out at the Shark River Reef (aka the Parking Lot). Vis was 15' or so on the wreck and closer to 5' at the sand. Bottom temp hovered around 50 (brrr). Not much in sea life seen, except for a small bug or two.

Our 2nd dive brought us close to shore as we hit the Sea Girt. Vis was close to 20' on the gravel bottom and temps was once again 63F. Quite a few decent size bugs were landed. We even spotted a lawn chair on the bottom.

On the way back in we spotted something on the surface around a lobster pot buoy. Upon closer inspection and several guesses what it was, we saw a 4' leatherback turtle tangled in the buoy line. After a few attempts, we were able to free the turtle of it predicament and he swam away apparently ungrateful. This turtle was extremely luck as we have seen three (3) turtles dead on wrecks this summer after all got tangled in rope.

9/12 PM

After getting a 30' vis report earlier in the day from the Eagles Nest, the afternoon charter headed to the Pinta for two dives. We had an honest 30' on the Pinta and slightly less on the bottom. All had a great time.

9/26

We headed south in calm seas to the Gulftrade for a pair of dives. Vis was about 30' and bottom temps were 66F. Lots of fish were seen around the wreck and a few bugs grabbed. I even managed to bring up a brass porthole backing plate.

9/27

We headed out once again in calm seas for the Stolt. Here we found 66F down to approximately 100' and 61F below. Vis was 30'-40'. Several bugs were brought up including a 6 lb'er and 3 lb'er and several more were left on the bottom. A 4' dogfish was cut loose from some monofilament, but a few were already dead on the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom