NJ/NY Wreck Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wed went out on Jean Marie out of Hampton Bays, LI with group from Long Island Scuba. Destination the wreck of the Oregon. A two and a half hour ride from the Shinnicock Inlet, I note that the ocean could not get any flatter. Well by the time we are at the wreck and tied in, I am proved to be wrong. My bathtub had more ripples.
The tie in is on top of the engine. While usually I would be jumping in alone, today I am joined by buddy Vince and another friend from the shop Kaz. As my dive plan called for 35 minuted bottom time and Kaz was planning on only 20, I ran a line from just below the engine. Some on the boat were planning on artifacts, I was planning on bring home dinner. Going foward on the starboard side, several bugs were found. Unfortunately, some had eggs, some were short, and for this dive only one was right. While at first glance one might say unfortunately its shell was more like leather (recently molted), I later found that this "soft shell" bug was the most tasty I have had so far.
For the surface interval our friend Nick brought hot dogs and hamburgers, Jeff brought Italian sausage, I brought some dogs also, but Nick and Jeff brought so much, mine didn't even get out of the cooler.
Nick did learn an important lesson about lighting the BBQ. Take the lid off! Lighting it w/o doing that just blows it off anyway.
After two hour surface interval it was back in gear, and the water. This time Kaz decided to sit it out. For the second dive, I proceeded to the port side. Similar to the first dive, found some w/eggs, some short, some that just got away, and two that met the standards. The plan was for another 35 min bottom time. But lobster fever got me, I over extended bottom time to 40 minutes. Ouch, the computers are giving over 50 minutes ascent time. Only about 1400psi. oh, in dbl lp 98s. In addition, the main concern is that O2 bottle is only about 1200psi. Slowly I ascend, stop at 60, 50, etc. Noting the shortage of O2, I adjust my program from immediately switching to O2 at 20 ft stop to using my 30% back gas at the 20 ft mark until I am cleared for 10 foot stop. Then I remain at abt 17-18 ft on O2. (using computer capable of gas switch). I figure if i run short on O2 can always go back to 30% and extend stop time if needed (based on rough calculation I only had about 2 hours of gas at 20ft). The concern proved unnecessary, computers cleared w/ 50psi remaining in the O2 bottle. Switched back to 30% did extra 5 minutes of safety stop and ascended slowly.
The ocean remained flat for the ride home, and dinner was delicious.

qglad:
We took the Outlaw out of Bel Mar on 7/17 to the Algol.

The weather and seas were perfect for diving. The temp off the coast was high 70’s with a slight breeze. Seas where light chop.

For anyone who has not been on the Outlaw. This is an older boat. She shows her age quite a bit. It is a single level deck with a VERY narrow cabin. If the weather gets rough or wet it gets quite crowed on the ride out and back as all the divers jam together to stay dry. This, however, leaves quite a bit of space along the sides of the boat for tanks, gear, etc. Given the two, I’ll take more deck space… I can always put on my dry suit to stay warm and dry.

We got out of the harbor about an hour late due to the Mate having car trouble. As Wes (the Mate) stated it’s a sad day when all the divers have arrived and are on board before any of the crew. This was an unfortunate situation… but in the interest of fair reporting, facts are facts.

We pulled out and followed the Venture III out to the parking lot. We originally planned on diving the Stolt… but it seems the Venture is a faster boat and to the swift goes the spoils. There was another boat tied off on the Coney Island… so it looked like another dive on the Algol.

Wes drops over and we watch him drop down. After he sets the hook we can see him on the line on the way up.... The visibility is awesome! Wes climbs back on board and gives the brief:

“The sand is at 130 (140 in the cargo holds and wash out near the haul), bottom temp is low 50’s, the hook is set at the high point at the stern of the ship. Watch out for the current, it is ripping at both the surface and the wreck”

Suit-up… over the side… and down to the sand at 128... Visibility is about 30 ft. There is quite a current, but I wouldn’t say “ripping”… My buddy is at the railing so I don’t have much time before I need to go back up to him. I just want to take a quick look with the hopes of catching a lobster unaware. I swim along the haul for about 3 min and don’t see anything. Up I go back to the railing at 100’. A Big OK sign with my buddy and we swim off along the side of the ship. We have both dove the Algol before so we are somewhat familiar with the lay out. We cruise along the railing poking our heads in holes and sight seeing. After a bit, Larry signals it’s time to hunt. So using all our stealth and cunning, we sneak up on a clump of Muscles and wrestle them into the goodie bag. We stuff the bag and then Larry gives the signal that he’s running low on gas. DAMN! I really need to get him on a diet and excercise routine. Up we go… 50 for 2… 30 for 2… 15 for 3… a quick swim under the boat to the ladder and we are out.

Surface interval: Change over the tanks. The Mate takes a headcount. Everyone is up and accounted for. I wolf down my crackers and juice (I’m happy to report that they stayed down) and then took my usual service interval nap laying in the sun on the bow of the boat! Does it get any better than this?

Second dive: Drop over the side with Larry and Frank. We meet at 15. A quick bubble check and then drop down to the deck of the wreck. This time we spend the whole time site seeing. Looking into rooms… we do a couple of fun swim throughs. I REALLY need to get the skills and training to start doing penetrations. I felt like I was at the prom again. I could look and play a bit… but until I figure out how to do it safely I’m not supposed to penetrate. I guess I’ll be signing up for the wreck course soon. Up we come 50, 30 15 again. This time there is a bunch of us on the line doing our hangs. Maybe a john line is in my future too… in the end, I hung to the bottom of the group and did an extra 5 min on the line so I could stay below them and do my 15 hang without all the traffic.

Up on the boat. Strip down…. Have a snack and watch the boat crew struggle with the anchor for about 45 min. What a drag. Wes has to drop down for a 3rd dive to figure out what the anchor is hung up on (he is having a bad day, first the car problems and now this). Finally we are free… Muscles in a nice red wine sauce for dinner!

The Boat Crew did an excellent job. They were true dive professionals. We were assisted into and out of the water. Attention was always on safety. Which makes up for the boat itself, which has seen better days. The divers on the boat were mostly experienced Jersey divers which is nice. I consider myself a rookie still and it is nice to dive with people who know what they are doing and are always willing to give advice on technique, gear, or whatever.

And the quote of the day “NICE DIVE”

My one and only trip to NY/NJ wrecks was last Memorial Day weekend, and we dove two tanks on the Algol. Vis, unfortunately, was only about 3-5 feets so I never really was able to appreciate the wreck. I would love to get back out there on a good vis day, but it ain't like you can predict them or order them in!

Dove off the Eagle's Nest, by the way. As a New Englander not used to the way NY boats are crewed and run, it was an eye opener, to say the least. Runs a great boat, though, and is a hellof a captain and grillmaster.

PeaceDog:
My one and only trip to NY/NJ wrecks was last Memorial Day weekend, and we dove two tanks on the Algol. Vis, unfortunately, was only about 3-5 feets so I never really was able to appreciate the wreck. I would love to get back out there on a good vis day, but it ain't like you can predict them or order them in!

Dove off the Eagle's Nest, by the way. As a New Englander not used to the way NY boats are crewed and run, it was an eye opener, to say the least. Runs a great boat, though, and is a hellof a captain and grillmaster.

Must have just missed you. I was on Eagle's Nest on Memeorial Day going to the San Diego.
Howard is a character. And true patriot.

Despite the weather, we got out to the G&D (which is actually been identified as the Yankee)which lies in abt 110 ft of water. The seas were less than pleasant, with prospect of them getting worse. In view of this, the plan was to just do one dive.
My plan was to do 35 min on the bottom. Visability was in the 20-25 foot range. Within first 5 minutes on the bottom had my first bug. Already the dive was a success. In the next 10 minutes another two were bagged. The balance of the dive was spent trying to coax a huge bug out from under the boiler. I had it out to just about a reachable point, but it side stepped and went back under the boiler, never to be seen again. Oh well, next time.
As the clock ticked closer to my terminal time, my fingers became more and more cold in the 44 deg water. Relief came as the water temperatures soared as I approached each shallower deco stop. By the time I reached 20 ft stop, the water temp rose to 72 deg.
Capt John came up with a bag full of scallops, while the other divers came up with a couple each.
We then pounded our way back home.

qglad:
We took the Outlaw out of Bel Mar on 7/17 to the Algol.

The weather and seas were perfect for diving. The temp off the coast was high 70’s with a slight breeze. Seas where light chop.

For anyone who has not been on the Outlaw. This is an older boat. She shows her age quite a bit. It is a single level deck with a VERY narrow cabin. If the weather gets rough or wet it gets quite crowed on the ride out and back as all the divers jam together to stay dry. This, however, leaves quite a bit of space along the sides of the boat for tanks, gear, etc. Given the two, I’ll take more deck space… I can always put on my dry suit to stay warm and dry.

We got out of the harbor about an hour late due to the Mate having car trouble. As Wes (the Mate) stated it’s a sad day when all the divers have arrived and are on board before any of the crew. This was an unfortunate situation… but in the interest of fair reporting, facts are facts.

We pulled out and followed the Venture III out to the parking lot. We originally planned on diving the Stolt… but it seems the Venture is a faster boat and to the swift goes the spoils. There was another boat tied off on the Coney Island… so it looked like another dive on the Algol.

Wes drops over and we watch him drop down. After he sets the hook we can see him on the line on the way up.... The visibility is awesome! Wes climbs back on board and gives the brief:

“The sand is at 130 (140 in the cargo holds and wash out near the haul), bottom temp is low 50’s, the hook is set at the high point at the stern of the ship. Watch out for the current, it is ripping at both the surface and the wreck”

Suit-up… over the side… and down to the sand at 128... Visibility is about 30 ft. There is quite a current, but I wouldn’t say “ripping”… My buddy is at the railing so I don’t have much time before I need to go back up to him. I just want to take a quick look with the hopes of catching a lobster unaware. I swim along the haul for about 3 min and don’t see anything. Up I go back to the railing at 100’. A Big OK sign with my buddy and we swim off along the side of the ship. We have both dove the Algol before so we are somewhat familiar with the lay out. We cruise along the railing poking our heads in holes and sight seeing. After a bit, Larry signals it’s time to hunt. So using all our stealth and cunning, we sneak up on a clump of Muscles and wrestle them into the goodie bag. We stuff the bag and then Larry gives the signal that he’s running low on gas. DAMN! I really need to get him on a diet and excercise routine. Up we go… 50 for 2… 30 for 2… 15 for 3… a quick swim under the boat to the ladder and we are out.

Surface interval: Change over the tanks. The Mate takes a headcount. Everyone is up and accounted for. I wolf down my crackers and juice (I’m happy to report that they stayed down) and then took my usual service interval nap laying in the sun on the bow of the boat! Does it get any better than this?

Second dive: Drop over the side with Larry and Frank. We meet at 15. A quick bubble check and then drop down to the deck of the wreck. This time we spend the whole time site seeing. Looking into rooms… we do a couple of fun swim throughs. I REALLY need to get the skills and training to start doing penetrations. I felt like I was at the prom again. I could look and play a bit… but until I figure out how to do it safely I’m not supposed to penetrate. I guess I’ll be signing up for the wreck course soon. Up we come 50, 30 15 again. This time there is a bunch of us on the line doing our hangs. Maybe a john line is in my future too… in the end, I hung to the bottom of the group and did an extra 5 min on the line so I could stay below them and do my 15 hang without all the traffic.

Up on the boat. Strip down…. Have a snack and watch the boat crew struggle with the anchor for about 45 min. What a drag. Wes has to drop down for a 3rd dive to figure out what the anchor is hung up on (he is having a bad day, first the car problems and now this). Finally we are free… Muscles in a nice red wine sauce for dinner!

The Boat Crew did an excellent job. They were true dive professionals. We were assisted into and out of the water. Attention was always on safety. Which makes up for the boat itself, which has seen better days. The divers on the boat were mostly experienced Jersey divers which is nice. I consider myself a rookie still and it is nice to dive with people who know what they are doing and are always willing to give advice on technique, gear, or whatever.

And the quote of the day “NICE DIVE”
Hey Q, “NICE DIVE” really does sum it up, nice diving with you again, as well.

Excellent dive report.

So this is the second time I tried to get out to the Stolt on the Outlaw, and wound up leaving late from the dock. It’s not like I didn’t wake up at 4am and show up at the dock at 6. But, I’m easy going and the day’s dives turned out great, so I’m not complaining. You know what they say about strike three though.

I had two great dives. Dropped down the line, which was tied in at the stern. Took a little tour with my bro along the deck at 110’. Lots of mussels and sea stars, this is not really a bug wreck. Bottom temps coming up a bit at 52º. I thought the vis was good, but at 20-25’ it wasn’t working out well for the wide angle lens I put on my camera. We did a few nice swim throughs and checked out the rear gun turret, well really the tub where the turret once was.

Second dive I dropped over with Jim and Jamie. The plan, to collect mussels. Back down on the deck the vis cleared a little to maybe 30-35’, maybe I shouldn’t have ditched the wide angle topside but I did, it doubles the weight and size of the camera. Twenty five minutes and a couple of bags of mussels later, we were back to the line at the stern.

For those who do not know, the USS Algol is the largest ship in the NJ artificial reef program. It is an old Navy freighter stretching 459’. Built in 1942, having seen service in three wars and being moth balled for twenty years, it was laid to rest on Shark River Reef in 1991.

Back on board, and ready to head back, we were surprised to learn that the anchor was hung up. Turns out that the Captain dropped the anchor through a vent hole not much bigger than the anchor. A hole in one for a captain, I suppose. Hats off to Wes for doing a third dive to free us and more importantly not loosing a limb in the process. And many thanks to John for giving him the gas to do it.

All in all a really great day, calm seas, great surface temp, good visibility, excellent bottom temps and a load of mussels to boot.

I got a few good pics, you can check them out here, at the wreck valley gallery.

First of all, I'm a bit disappointed that this thread was way back on Page 2.

Made it out yesterday (8/14). We weren't going to let the weatherman scare us into staying home. We headed out in calm seas with a 3-5' swell (8 second period). Saw a couple turtles on the way out to the Pinta. On the wreck, we had 52F on the bottom with 15' of vis, which is 15' more vis that the Diversion had on the Delaware. The surge we had was expected considering the swells.

2nd dive was inshore on the Rockland County. The swells subsided and the ocean was like glass. You would never have guessed a hurricane was on its way. We had 15-20' of vis on the top of the tug, but 5' on the sand (mud). Bottom temp was about the same. Several nice size 'tog were seen and only 1 lobster spotted, but not caught.

Unfortunately we cancelled today's charter (8/15) based on everybody's predictions of 7'-9' seas, but of course they were wrong....again!

Capt Frank wasn't going to call it until he saw what the weather really was like. When I spoke to him on Thurs, I indicated that looking at the forcast, we were going to have a window of opportunity for Sat morning.
As it turned out the window was open all day.
We headed out to the Yankee. Considering the swells, the vis was in the 30 to 40 ft range, much better than expected. There was some current on surface which made getting from the stern to anchor line a little tedious, (but not as bad as last week).
We were tied into the stern near the prop. The water temp was colder than expected, abt 48 deg. I grabbed two descent sized bugs, and another three were bagged by the others on board.
After we were all up, I was the only one interested in doing a second dive. While the Capt didn't care, I didn't want everyone waiting for me for another 3+ hours (2hr SI and abt another hr in water) So we called it a day.
It seems the other divers were worried about the weather. The weather did hold but when we reached the inlet it was near dead low tide but still going out. This combined with the swells created an inlet that would have been great for surfers, but not for boaters.
Coming in Capt Frank timed it perfectly. Including keeping just ahead of the wave that was getting ready to curl over the stern.
back at the dock it was BBQ, beer and BS. A great day overall.

Hey Lou,

Glad there's someone to back up my story, albeit from the NY side of Lake Atlantic!

Glad you had a nice dive!

The Scuba Connection chartered the Blue Fathoms for a Wednesday night dive to the Riggy Barge. 3-5 foot waves and wind greeted us as soon as we exited from the inlet, but I think there were a few waves much bigger. Once in the water, it was calm. At 75', viz was about 10', but since this was a night dive, it was DARK. Temps were in the mid 50's I think, but my computer BROKE so I'm not sure. Scott Previte and I got one lobster that was a keeper and two that got away. Not many fish were seen except for some black seabass that were in some kind of crate (not trapped). 37 minutes on the bottom and back at the dock by 9:30 pm. All in all.....FUN!

:11: Mike, I hope you will forgive me, but that sounds like a dreadful dive!

Back
Top Bottom