NJ Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the advice. I have to give the captain a call this afternoon to discuss the plans for tomorrow. In the event that I cancel, can anyone make any recommendations for a shore dive in the area? I will be in Beach Haven for the weekend, and would like to get wet somewhere in the event that my trip is postponed or I cancel due to conditions.

Thank you all for the advice. I have to give the captain a call this afternoon to discuss the plans for tomorrow. In the event that I cancel, can anyone make any recommendations for a shore dive in the area? I will be in Beach Haven for the weekend, and would like to get wet somewhere in the event that my trip is postponed or I cancel due to conditions.

I have a place in Beach Haven, and am very familiar with the area. There's ain't any shore diving around there...

Note - if YOU cancel due to conditions and the boat still goes out, you may well be out any money you've paid.

Last edited:
Did you go out today? I think we're all anxiously waiting a trip report! The weather today reminds me quite a bit of that "sporty" boat run video I posted...

What was the boat and wreck you went to (or planned to go to)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys; I'm reporting from my phone, so please forgive any autocorrect issues or misspellings.

I was planning my dive off the Dina dee II out of barnegat light, being that I was down in LBI for the weekend anyway.

After carefully watching the marine forecast, listening to some experienced divers from SB, and talking with the guys at the dock, I decided to scrub the trip for a day with better sea conditions. A few minutes after that, the captain called off the trip anyway. I spoke with the DM of the boat, who informed me that today wouldn't be the best to introduce me to wreck diving in nj, and that another day with calmer seas would be best.

The captain collects money at the boat, so no loss on my end which was nice.

He also illustrated a story from earlier in the week in which he recovered a full set of dive gear from 70', lost by a diver a few days before. I assumed it was knocked off the boat, but apparently it was ditched at the surface. Crazy!?!

Anyway, my buddy was itching to get wet, so we took the truck north to point pleasant and hit the 11:45ish high tide. I wanted to do some nav and current work anyway, so this was pretty good.

We did about 45 minutes under, and had a blast. There was a class going on and a few other guys, but we didn't bump into anyone at depth.

Overall not a bad day, no boat, but not bad.

Thanks for the tips, and I'll be sure to post again next time I can squeeze a wreck dive into the schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 13th, 2014 at 06:32 PM ----------

Ah, forgot to add. We didn't have a wreck destination, as the captain was going to choose based on the best conditions and wind direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dina Dee is a great boat with a great crew. In fact, it was the boat that I did my first jersey dive off of. Next Saturday we are diving off of the John Jack; another great boat. Not sure if there are still spots open, but you can call the dive shop Scubadelphia if you are interested. They would make sure you dive with a dive master since it's your first trip so you would be safe and comfortable. It's a fun group so think about joining us.

Dina Dee is a great boat with a great crew. In fact, it was the boat that I did my first jersey dive off of. Next Saturday we are diving off of the John Jack; another great boat. Not sure if there are still spots open, but you can call the dive shop Scubadelphia if you are interested. They would make sure you dive with a dive master since it's your first trip so you would be safe and comfortable. It's a fun group so think about joining us.

Thanks man, I appreciate the offer. Unfortunately with work, kids, the other work, and law school, my schedule is beat up. There are only a few days in a month that I can get out. Also, I'm not done with my AOW training, so most Jersey boats won't let me on. That being said, I have 5 more days scheduled for training to complete my AOW, including 3 days up in Rhode Island, so the balance of my season for diving will most likely be dedicated to just that list. There is a chance I might be able to do a NJ wreck dive in October, but I've got to see what I can work in.

---------- Post added September 14th, 2014 at 09:04 PM ----------

Also, one last question that came up, off topic, but since I seem to have a good handful of people tracking this thread, and it seams to be a NJ issue discussed by many, here goes another question:

While diving the RR bridge at PP this past weekend, I was running a flag as required while my dive buddy worked on some new gear issues. My flag was a gift, and the rope for it is on a hand wind "H" frame of plastic, if that makes any sense. It is a royal pain in the ass, but it's also very small. I have a few other lengths of poly cord on a larger "H" frame with a handle that might work better, but I have also read that some people use reels.

So, with that discussed, what does everyone use for rope on their towable dive flags?

I dumped the "H" thing for my dive flag float in favor of a reel. I also don't drag it around with me during a dive. Depending on the site, I either let it slowly spool out as I follow the bottom or I surface swim to the area and drop down with the reel in hand. Once in the area of my dive I lock off the reel and secure it to the bottom. Retrieve at end of dive and surface.

I dumped the "H" thing for my dive flag float in favor of a reel. I also don't drag it around with me during a dive. Depending on the site, I either let it slowly spool out as I follow the bottom or I surface swim to the area and drop down with the reel in hand. Once in the area of my dive I lock off the reel and secure it to the bottom. Retrieve at end of dive and surface.

NJ Regulations about diving, which has specific requirements about the flag:

Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Gear & Training - Regulations

A nice idea to lock off the reel, but I'm not sure if that's legal in NJ. I've heard that Coast Guard, if they see a diver's bubbles and there's no flag, will fine you. Never happened to me, but the few times I dove in the Shark river inlet, I dragged the flag behind me (and it was a PITA, as you say).

Watch out for the fishermen in Shark River inlet. A lot of them think a dive flag is a target. I've been hooked more than once (but that's what shears are for).

NJ Regulations about diving, which has specific requirements about the flag:

Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Gear & Training - Regulations

A nice idea to lock off the reel, but I'm not sure if that's legal in NJ. I've heard that Coast Guard, if they see a diver's bubbles and there's no flag, will fine you. Never happened to me, but the few times I dove in the Shark river inlet, I dragged the flag behind me (and it was a PITA, as you say).

Watch out for the fishermen in Shark River inlet. A lot of them think a dive flag is a target. I've been hooked more than once (but that's what shears are for).

This is one of the reasons I don't drag the flag (and some times don't use one at all while shore diving). I have found that the vast majority of boaters have no clue what a dive flag is and many will drive right up to one and start pulling on it. Of course, you should know and follow your local regulations and be prepared for the fine if you choose not to.

Edit to add: Nothing in the rules link you posted says you must tow the flag with you. It says you must have one of a proper size and that you must surface within XX feet of it unless in an emergency.

Last edited:
...//... So, with that discussed, what does everyone use for rope on their towable dive flags?

Polypropylene. It floats and tends to stay out of your way a bit better when going slack.

---------- Post added September 16th, 2014 at 11:38 PM ----------

...//... Edit to add: Nothing in the rules link you posted says you must tow the flag with you. It says you must have one of a proper size and that you must surface within XX feet of it unless in an emergency.

If you are staying in a limited area there is no reason to tow your flag, just park it. But it also says that you must mark your position. By this they mean at all times and they will fine you for flagrant violations. However, there is a fair amount of discretion at play.

It is understood that boaters, fishermen, and divers often want access to the same space. You are not allowed to dive under a bridge, but I see the Shark River bridge abutment (under the bridge) as the perfect place to splash. Boats are to stay 50 ft away from your flag but often come closer for various reasons. A dive flag is a huge annoyance to fishermen on the jetty, fishermen on the jetty are an annoyance to divers that have to stay within 25' (wink) of the rocks.

Somehow, when everyone just grumbles and gets on with it, it all works...

Back
Top Bottom