NJ Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polypropylene. It floats and tends to stay out of your way a bit better when going slack.
Agreed with the Polypropylene and keep it as tight as you can without being an annoyance. Pull the slack out of it when you can...

lowviz the "You are not allowed to dive under a bridge." I had not heard / seen that before and I have been known to dive under the bridge - have I just been lucky?

shark_river_rules.jpg

"You are not allowed to dive under a bridge." I had not heard / seen that before and I have been known to dive under the bridge - have I just been lucky?

Doesn't the Ocean Ave bridge over Shark river have a small channel on each side of the bridge? It's been years since I dove there, so I don't remember if we stayed in that channel or just went under the bridge. I think if the bridge operator sees a dive flag in the center of the channel, they're going to be calling the Coast Guard and they'll get you for two violations instead of one.

As to the comment about having to drag the flag, the rule says you have to mark your position with the flag. When diving tidal inlets in NJ, we generally enter from the east most end (the ocean side) about 20 minutes before high tide. You ride the tide in, you get about 20 minutes of slack tide, and then the tide starts to go out and drags you with it. So you could easily cover 700 or even 1000 feet doing that. It's a fun ride, as long as you keep track where you are. Once you go into the ocean, it's a long walk back to the car.

So deploying a flag and riding the tide up river could hardly be considered marking your position. Tying the flag off and staying in the general vicinity may be a little more arguable.

You are right Industrious - it has a small channel that no boat would / should consider navigating - that is what I did - I dove in that small channel "under the bridge" - I was too literal and did not mean to be... Thanks.

Maybe too literal, but the rule is ambiguous. NJ Scuba Diving Rules See #5.

I'm pretty sure that the intent is to not impede boat traffic. There is a really nice place to dive between the abutment and the pilings that mark the start of the boat channel. But the rule does say "no diving under bridges". However, I've never been challenged there.

Agreed with your assessment about not impeding boat traffic - anywhere you dive that is a good rule to follow.
I would point to the first line of the sign if someone were to try and ticket me - it mentions Scuba diving in the Inlet east of the line which includes the bridge abutment area which is not impeding boat traffic. It would have been easy to add an additional bullet or mention the bridge is out of bounds if they were concerned.
And of course the Manasquan Railroad Bridge is a popular place too - I have never seen tickets handed out there... Of course power boats dont go under that bridge but...

Shark River
It is to my understanding that you can go under the bridge but not into the channel. We can dive the are between the channel and the jetty, going under neath bridge heading East towards A street with the current. The furthest we can go is A street then turn around and head back out to see. IS this correct? Plus the coast Guard station is right there possible instant ticket, if you mess up.

I believe this to be true - although I have not seen the Coast Guard in the inlet - ever. I have seen the building but no one patrolling the inlet.

I believe this to be true - although I have not seen the Coast Guard in the inlet - ever. I have seen the building but no one patrolling the inlet.

You need to spend more time in the inlet. Coasties live there on Sat and Sun in the summer.

Ray Purkis

I must admit I don't spend a lot of time top side - it is usually a road trip for me and night time diving - especially the inlet during the summer.

However -it does look inviting at Klien's for some cocktails and a view...
Kliens.jpg

Anybody know which tide tables work for L Street? Yeah, I know, the wind changes things. So just forget that.

I've always just headed in and kept going until I found a comfortable depth. Looking for something that peaks in the wee hours, maybe I'll "get with it" for a change...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom