No formal safety check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Happyladydiver

You need to get used to it, you are responsible for yourself. Set up your own equipment, test your own equipment, and go diving. The sooner you adopt this philosophy, the happier and more secure you will be. The last thing you do is take a couple of breaths off your regulator while watching your SPG. Dive, dive, dive.

So I did my first dove since becoming certified and it went well enough. However, it wasn’t what I thought. I didn’t get to set up my own gear as the instructor who was on the dive rushed in and took over for me as he wanted to get going. He was my buddy at first as I was new and had no buddy.

Once out there, it was just a flurry of activity in the boat and I didn’t see any safety checks. He set mine up so he knew it was ok but I could only verbally ask him about his as he was frankly too eager to get going to wish to deal with it. I don’t know if other people did theirs on land or what have you. I eventually was also paired with a different diver as the instructor had to help a refresher student. No checks happened. Everyone sort of had their gear placed on them quickly and off they went. It wasn’t deep, say 6 metres so I didn’t feel not safe.

Is this normal? Do I really have to be the annoying newbie pushing the issue as obviously being new I was a bit intimidated and that’s not usually who I am. Lol.
As you get more experience you will develop your own standard. I’ve developed the pushy nature that before the dive I tell my buddy we are doing a buddy check.

As for someone else putting my kit together, I’m not that fussed. But I still confirm it’s done properly.
One problem with buddy checks is each agency teaches it differently (different acronyms, different sequencing) and if you are given an insta-buddy, they might not even know how to interpret YOUR buddy check.
This is a bit of a red herring. It really doesn’t matter what acronym is used, the important thing is the equipment is working and fitted properly, the buddy is shown where gas can be found, and there is sufficient gas.

Hi @Happyladydiver

You need to get used to it, you are responsible for yourself. Set up your own equipment, test your own equipment, and go diving. The sooner you adopt this philosophy, the happier and more secure you will be. The last thing you do is take a couple of breaths off your regulator while watching your SPG. Dive, dive, dive.

I partially disagree with this sentiment. If two people are diving as a buddy team, they are making a commitment to each other whether articulated in words or not. Their should be some responsibility on both divers to be familiar with each other's gear configuration from a safety standpoint.

I don't think the OP necessarily needs to "get used to it", and I don't think getting used to it will make them "secure"...my recommendation to the OP is be more selective regarding who you splash with. Find people that share similar mentalities towards safety and diving in general.

A good day underwater is better than a bad day above the surface....but a bad day underwater can lead to a worse day above the surface.

-Z

We don't know what you were taught to do, but here is a story that might explain some confusion.

A couple years ago the Director of Instruction at my dive shop wanted everyone to teach everything the way he was taught to do it at the instructor training center he attended. When he explained it all, I was aghast. It was absurdly over the top, with far, far more steps than are remotely necessary. Later on, someone from PADI headquarters told me that those training centers like to guarantee that their students will get top scores on the Instructor exams, so they teach procedures that include everything any examiner in the world might like to see as something of a personal quirk. He agreed with me, and he said all the instructor examiners see those elaborate rituals they do as unnecessary extremes, but since none of it is wrong, the people do get top scores.

I don't think they should. I think PADI needs to step up and scream "Stop it already!" When students are taught to do something that is unnecessarily elaborate and then go out in the real world and see nothing like it, they will lose faith in the whole process.

So if you were taught, for example, that it is absolutely necessary for you to take 3 breaths off of both your buddy's primary and his secondary regulator in order to see if the air is on, as my Director of Instruction wanted all of us in the shop to teach (only one part of about a 15 minute check), then you will be shocked when you don't see that happening on dive boats.

I believe DMs look for some silent cues as to whether client divers want their gear set up for them or not. If a diver piles all his crap next to the boat and waits for the DM or captain to bring it on, that is a cue that they want help. On the other hand if a diver carries on his own BCD, or better yet has his regs in a bag or case, that is a sign they want to do it themselves. A few times I have even rigged my first tank while waiting for the boat to arrive.

On the other hand, some DMs will just ask -- "do you want me to set you up?". A lot of boat divers say yes.

One minor consideration, in the age of COVID I like as few people as possible handling my regulator.

I partially disagree with this sentiment. If two people are diving as a buddy team, they are making a commitment to each other whether articulated in words or not. Their should be some responsibility on both divers to be familiar with each other's gear configuration from a safety standpoint.

I don't think the OP necessarily needs to "get used to it", and I don't think getting used to it will make them "secure"...my recommendation to the OP is be more selective regarding who you splash with. Find people that share similar mentalities towards safety and diving in general.

A good day underwater is better than a bad day above the surface....but a bad day underwater can lead to a worse day above the surface.

-Z
I dive mostly solo, I'm only responsible for myself. If I had a buddy, I would make sure they understood my gear, and I, there's. I have a primary donate and a backup on a necklace, they need to know that. I have integrated weights, they need to know that. I need to know the same regarding their kit. That does not mean I have to be independently ready to dive, same goes for my buddy.

Wow! Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help as I don’t have any friends who dive.

A few points- the second person I was paired with seemed very legit and stated he had done thousand of dives and had been a dive master. Likely, he was very independent and knew the crew so he wasn’t fussed. He did stick close to me and was always helping and helped an even newer newbie under water whose tank was out of the lower strap. Like I said, it was a muddled switch out there and I was sort of with him and the dive instructor. Going forward, when I get a more clear and less muddled dive buddy assignment, I can take charge a bit and say WAIT- let me look real quick. Let’s do our checks. If nothing else, let me see their air is working well as that’s for my benefit. If they want to get snotty, then tough cookies. We aren’t going until we do it.

Regarding checking the regulator etc, we were taught to test both parts ourselves due to covid as I certified in August. Is that what you guys are doing rather than the buddy do it? I’m not going to ask to do it as to make them uncomfortable so better I do it and then they test theirs like in class? When I DID test my back up the instructor told me that’s my buddy’s problem not mine. Lol. I was simply showing him it worked as per class!

I am also going to get there extra early next time so I CAN set up my own gear. “No thanks mate. We’ve got time. I need the practice” if anyone pushes in.
I do agree that the more you can depend on yourself the better, however. I’ve also been independent and that’s a survivor quality.

Safety check starts from oneself rather than relying on someone else(could be a total stranger).
Never ever been rushed for the dive. Only you can determine if you are ready not others! They can wait while you get yourself ready.

Avoid cattle boat!

I always check my regs myself.
Even pre covid.

In fact i do the whole Check myself and my buddy just watches me. When i am done we switch.

I dont like some else touching my gear. Saw to many stupid things.
This is most important when checking the tank valve. I dont want someone to mess up. I open it, check it. And after that i don't want anyone to touch the valve.

I would always set the gear up myself.
So if something goes wrong its my fault.
Its an expensive hobby with expensive gear, so i handle it myself.

If some else sets your gear up, you HAVE TO check it! Even if he is an instructor, he might do mistakes. Especially under time pressure.

We don't know what you were taught to do, but here is a story that might explain some confusion.

A couple years ago the Director of Instruction at my dive shop wanted everyone to teach everything the way he was taught to do it at the instructor training center he attended. When he explained it all, I was aghast. It was absurdly over the top, with far, far more steps than are remotely necessary. Later on, someone from PADI headquarters told me that those training centers like to guarantee that their students will get top scores on the Instructor exams, so they teach procedures that include everything any examiner in the world might like to see as something of a personal quirk. He agreed with me, and he said all the instructor examiners see those elaborate rituals they do as unnecessary extremes, but since none of it is wrong, the people do get top scores.

I don't think they should. I think PADI needs to step up and scream "Stop it already!" When students are taught to do something that is unnecessarily elaborate and then go out in the real world and see nothing like it, they will lose faith in the whole process.

So if you were taught, for example, that it is absolutely necessary for you to take 3 breaths off of both your buddy's primary and his secondary regulator in order to see if the air is on, as my Director of Instruction wanted all of us in the shop to teach (only one part of about a 15 minute check), then you will be shocked when you don't see that happening on dive boats.
This probably best explains how things have developed.

I agree somewhat with Zef in that buddies have some responsibility to each other. Exactly how much could be debated. For many of us there is not the option of charter boat diving with someone you know and trust-- thus, the "instabuddy" debate. Personally I always do two things -- Make sure each of us knows how to release each other's weights, and agree on a general dive plan, air, etc. I'm not gunna go through the motions of seeing if the buddy does the OOA skill exactly the way I do it (and have never seen this happen anywhere on a boat). I will assume it's not gunna be me that's OOA and deal with the buddy if he/she is.
Which leads me as to why I also agree with scubadada---

You are responsible for yourself (exactly haw much you are responsible for your buddy can be debated, both from a moral and legal point of view-- see Pros and lawsuits).
Set up your own stuff and re-check everything. My thought is that the second set of eyes in a buddy check can also just be your own again. A buddy check is just things being checked again to catch mishaps. Don't get distracted. I dislike when someone starts a conversation when I'm gearing up. I have a lot of dives over 15 years, but it still distracts me.

There is always risk when diving. Diving with a buddy is generally considered safer than solo, yet it depends on the buddy's abilities. Aside from basic skills that he/she may or may not have, there are the rescue skills. You are taking a chance you are buddied up with someone who knows what to do should you go unconscious, for example. These skills aren't taught in most agencies' OW courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom