No-Harness Sidemount Rig - Just a bit of fun ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

now how the heck is a manufacturer going to get $500 for that?????? Sheesh! :cool2:

Would love to see a sidemount harness that would incorporate the foundation of a climbing harness for vertical. Instead of a crotch strap,would have leg loops. Being able to use the same harness for vertical and diving we would be awesome

Would love to see a sidemount harness that would incorporate the foundation of a climbing harness for vertical. Instead of a crotch strap,would have leg loops. Being able to use the same harness for vertical and diving we would be awesome

That should not be too hard to mock up. In fact it should be really easy. If the water levels get any lower we will need them to get in to some places!

Nice!
10lbs enough with full tanks (& weights on them)?

I dive that wing with 4 AL80s and a 3lb weight in just a 3mm shorty that's so old it's more like a 1.5mm. When I do that diving I'm entering from shore so there's no need to float on the surface but it works for maintaining neutral buoyancy during the dive.

---------- Post added March 16th, 2013 at 11:19 PM ----------

Great idea! I've had the same thought in the past. I do have a climbing harness at home. I'll have to dig it out and see what I can come up with.

That should not be too hard to mock up. In fact it should be really easy. If the water levels get any lower we will need them to get in to some places!

I have layed down on paper a hybrid sidemount harness/ vertical harness. I made leg loops to carry my weight,and worked to keep sidemount hard points that are key to tank placement etc. In places where there is a walk to the water after descending,I would probably stick with a vertical harness,and switch to sidemount,but there are quite a few places where you are dropping into the water.

Looks as capable as any "commercial" sidemount rig. Why-o-why did I pay 400+ Euros for mine!:idk:

Hi,
Here is an old video (not perfect trim :)) of diving without any bcd. You just need a polish harness with a bungee.
After you can add a bag or a DR pillow :)
Have fun :)
Jale.
Side Mounting.MP4 - YouTube

Looks as capable as any "commercial" sidemount rig. Why-o-why did I pay 400+ Euros for mine!:idk:

To be fair, my little concept/project does have limitations. You can't walk anywhere topside in the rig with cylinders attached...and it's only good for 2 cylinders.

I thought about integrating the ring-bungee concept (splicing the bungee to have the rings in the right places) for more flexibility. That'd allow 3+ cylinder to be used... would probably need thicker bungee though.. It starts to add more complexity though... which is what I set out to avoid. I'll keep a regular harness for that capability.

Gotta thank Rob Neto for the 'green light' on the Trim Pillows. They'd been in my mind for a while, but never got to lay my hands on one (never saw them here in the P.I.) so was not convinced to take the leap until Rob told me he dived them already. They work a treat - up to 4 cylinders so far, no glitches. Surface flotation remains an issue - but I don't tend to spend much time hanging around on the surface with all the cylinders attached.

Very nice! I used a very basic harness and bladder when I learned sidemount on Utila, Honduras. Kudos for creativity! :)

Hey stetching this idea a bit; I know there is someone who makes the metal pieces to make the sidemount harness.

With the trim pillow, and those metal pieces one could go full harness (thus full tank carrying) for cheap and light.

Who does make those metal pieces?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom