no-mask diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M.D.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good-day,
I'm a total newb, today is my second check-dive. I think I'm competent with regards to clearing my mask, but when I take my mask completely off I have some difficulty keeping my breathing in check. When the bubbles go over my nose and eyes it feels really strange, mainly because those areas aren't exposed at all times. Although when we were drilling in the pool during classes, we had to swim a couple laps without our mask on and I felt fine. The problem is when the bubbles are going over my face where the mask usually is. I would assume it's just a matter of experiance and training. Just wondering if other people had any difficulties having the mask completely off. Suggestions? Thanks.

Practice, practice, practice. This is something that you need to get comfortable with but you may not get totally comfortable with it for some time. It's OK. If you can swim wth your mask off, you are doing GREAT. I remove my mask during many safety stops (salt water too) just to keep my comfort level HIGH.

Keep at it; you're doing great!

Hi M.D. I have the exact same "problem/feeling". It's the anxiety of having your mask off. As with many things in SCUBA, experience, and practice will help to get you over that.

After my wife and I got our OW cert's, we've been diving in the pool, more than we've been anywere else. The pool is a great place to practice your skills, like mask removal, and since you'll be certified and diving with your buddy, it's a good time to practice what you'd do as a buddy team, should one of you loose a mask. Of course you'll want to discuss this in the pre-dive talk before you jump in the pool and toss your mask away, waiting for your buddy to do something :wink:

This is just a guess. While swimming laps in the pool without a mask the bubbles wouldn't travel up the nose and past the eyes. While doing your checkout you were probably in an upright position.

As the previous posts say, some practice will take care if the uncomfortable feelings.

RDP:
you were probably in an upright position.
Bingo! Just tilt your face downward and you'll accomplish both eliminating the bubbles in your face and position your nose so that it's more resistant to getting water up it. Once you get the mask back on and begin clearing it by exhaling through your nose, tilt your head back to an upright position so the water can drain completely from the mask.
Rick

Thanks NetDoc and rottielover, it really helps to hear from more experianced divers. SB does wonders for the confidence. I have a pool too rottielover, so I'll practice , practice, and practice some more. I'll let everyone know how my second dive goes tonight. Thanks again.

Wow, you guys reply quick. That's exactly what I was having problems with, being upright. I'll try out the tips tonight. Thanks once more.

M.D.:
Good-day,
I'm a total newb, today is my second check-dive. I think I'm competent with regards to clearing my mask, but when I take my mask completely off I have some difficulty keeping my breathing in check. When the bubbles go over my nose and eyes it feels really strange, mainly because those areas aren't exposed at all times. Although when we were drilling in the pool during classes, we had to swim a couple laps without our mask on and I felt fine. The problem is when the bubbles are going over my face where the mask usually is. I would assume it's just a matter of experiance and training. Just wondering if other people had any difficulties having the mask completely off. Suggestions? Thanks.

With respect to it being common, yes it is. I've watched documentaries on the Navy SEALS and even they have problems when they start the diving portion of their training. It's crazy to see these totally fit, physically and mentally strong people having trouble with something like breathing. But, hey, it happens. As the others say, practice makes perfect.

I think you're getting good advice here, mask removal and replacement seems to trouble a lot of people - me included- early in their diving experience.

Good idea for safety stops - but be sure and brief your buddy and maintain your depth.

On every dive you might think about practicing some of those rusty, but very useful skills - there are things you should probably do or rotate through -
- breathe on your octo/alternate, to make sure it works
- free-flow your reg and practice "sipping"
- use your snorkel in a less than calm sea
- manually inflate your bcd
- simulate a runaway inflator (have a dm or instructor walk you through this if it's been a long time since you learned it in OW)
- on surface and submerged - remove your bcd, adjust your tank, replace your bcd

Mark

M.D.....practice on this as others mentioned. But, for peace of mind..you may want to get a reg with a side exhaust like a Dacor Viper....when my mask is off, I just tilt my head very gently to the right and no bubbles hit my face at all......its a habit of mine.

Before you do this though make sure your comfortable with how it is now...for future reference and just to know you can do it if the situation arises.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom