No More 10 ft Stops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was looking through what I believe to be the latest Navy Dive manual and looking at the Deco Tables... Am I correct in my observation that they have eliminated all 10 foot stops? The minimum stop depth I saw was 20 feet.

When did that occur? Am I the only one who didn't know about this?
confused.gif
shakehead.gif

Most divers have gone to 15 or 20 foot stops. Ten foot stops are so "old school" and almost as old school as no stop. I would not worry over it, if you have made it thus far without an issue you will probably be OK doing whatever it is that you are doing.

Next week it will be 25 foot stops standing on your head with your toes at 19 feet and a half twist added in, frankly, I do not care what the latest flavor of stop is in vogue, I am still trying to figure out how to program my VCR, do I still even have a VCR, cannot keep up with it all.

I wonder if it has to do with the lower fitness standards and overall obesity. I think Seinfeld was on to something with the manzeer or the "bro" I think it was, I think guys are going to have to start shopping for two piece swim suits.

N

I read something recently don't recall where just now, about a slow rise from a 20' deco stop to the surface instead of a 10' stop. Like Nemrod said.

Most divers have gone to 15 or 20 foot stops. Ten foot stops are so "old school" and almost as old school as no stop. I would not worry over it
I agree. Ten foot stops are simply an annoyance in open ocean. Plus many people have been doing the 10 foot stop on 100%, so there is little benefit, compared with combining the times in a 20ft stop. The 20ft stop is just as effective, it is done below the 15 ft hang bar, below most of the swells, etc. The 20 ft stop is when most of us go to 100% anyway. Once am on 100%, I am not particularly concerned with additional ongassing.
nemrod:
Next week it will be 25 foot stops standing on your head with your toes at 19 feet and a half twist added in, frankly, I do not care what the latest flavor of stop is in vogue, I am still trying to figure out how to program my VCR, do I still even have a VCR, cannot keep up with it all.
I suspect it has less to do with what's I vogue, and more to do with what works, and is functional.
nemrod:
I wonder if it has to do with the lower fitness standards and overall obesity.
i doubt it has anything to do with fitness standards, or a specific scientific basis. It is just convenience. If a deco program shows me doing a 20 ft stop and a 10 ft stop on 100%, chances are I will combine them at 20 ft. In open ocean, the 20 ft stop makes sense. In other circumstances, the choice of a final depth depends on the environment. If I go to 40 Fathom, and there is a nice platform at 20 ft, where I can doze while doing my 20+ minute stop, without getting in someone's way, that's where I will do my deco. There's a 10 ft platform, too, but there is more traffic.

When a 10 ft stop might make more sense is when there is a limited gas supply concern.

I am no authority but am wondering. Was the 10 ft usefull when on air, and has that been negated by 100% at 20, as ppn2 is no longer going to be reduced by gong to 10 ft for a stop. Deco theory is not my strong point.

I've known about and have been doing the 20' stop for years now, with the verrrry slow final ascent to the surface. Well, actually I try to hold at 18 but the principal is the same and I also do it horizontal rather than vertical.

Actually, 10' stops are still used and still very necessary. While for most decompression dives this isn't true, when you're doing a deep dive (think 250'+), your CNS clock is going to get up there fast. Not moving from 20' to 10' could put you at risk for oxygen toxicity. Whenever I dive Eagle's Nest I always do my last stop at 10' for that very reason.

Anybody know about the manual? They also reference oxygen use at 30 feet...Thought that was interesting.

I was looking through what I believe to be the latest Navy Dive manual and looking at the Deco Tables... Am I correct in my observation that they have eliminated all 10 foot stops? The minimum stop depth I saw was 20 feet.

When did that occur? Am I the only one who didn't know about this?
confused.gif
shakehead.gif

Since I am big on used books, I may not have noticed that for quite some time without your help. Kind of like my experience with the safety stop and 30'/min ascents. Because I rarely dive deco anymore, I don't believe it will be an issue with me even if I hit a 10' stop out of habit.

So no, you are not the only person that didn't know anout this.

Bob
------------------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

Back
Top Bottom