No More 10 ft Stops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point i think i was trying ot make is that someone said that on 100% o2 you have no differential presure between the tissue and the bloodstreem/lungs. (i know i am not quoteing this correctly). but does not being on o2 maximize the dp of n2 lung vs tissue? and that goint to 10 ft vs20 would increase it even more. The slightest bit of nf2 should qualify for a trace of ppn2 to be put up against the tissue n2 saturated.

I think I see what you are saying. Yes, you will be offgassing nitrogen from your tissues into your lungs,thereby diluting the 100% O2 you are breathing. But, I think the amount of nitrogen is too small to worry about. (If it changes the 100% O2 to 99% O2 the difference would be lost in the noise)

Rebreather divers might have a better idea. I understand they need to flush the loop on deco at 20 feet every so often as the offgassing nitrogen reduces the pO2. Believe that takes a few minutes though at least.

Another thing to bear in mind is the body does not absorb much nitrogen. One fascinating fact I learned on Scubaboard is the body absorbs about 1 litre of N2, per atm of pressure at SATURATION. Dive to 100 feet for many hours and you will only absorb 3 litres of N2. (About HALF your lung volume Lung volumes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Not very much is it? )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom