No more BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since this forum has essentially become the BP/W section. Let's try this the other way...

When should someone use a BCD instead of a BP/W?

hmmm... if you can use a BP/W, why use a BCD?

:wink:

Walter:
A BP/W is a BC.

oh yeah...

When it works better for them.

I pull out a jacket in the following situations:

When I will be spending a lot of time at the surface.
Like when teaching a class from shore (I rarely teach now). A jacket places my head farther from the water than a BP/W, and holds me upright with stability.

Underwater wide-angle photography.
When shooting wide-angle, I shoot a lot towards the surface on my back, or rolled sideways at 90 degrees to get something on the bottom in the frame. My jacket is stable in all axis; if I roll to the side, it holds me there; on my back, on my head, or whichever way I position myself, it accecpts the position and holds me there.

Anything involving rescues, safety support, rescue training.
See "a lot of time at the surface", above, regarding surface stability.

BP/W, jackets, etc, they're all tools, with strengths and weaknesses. Pick the right tool for the job; nothing is best at everything.

All the best, James

jacket bc is good for the pool as I don't want to trash my bp/w with the chlorine.

I have have learned to use neither....makes the diving more challenging. :eyebrow:

fdog:
When shooting wide-angle, I shoot a lot towards the surface on my back, or rolled sideways at 90 degrees to get something on the bottom in the frame. My jacket is stable in all axis; if I roll to the side, it holds me there; on my back, on my head, or whichever way I position myself, it accecpts the position and holds me there
What happens when you try to do these sort of actions in a BP/W?

What is a BCD to original poster?

Horse-collar, jackets, back-plate & wings are among the popular variations of a Buoyancy Control Device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom