no more open internet :'( sad day in history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InGearX

Registered
Reaction score
dear brothers and sisters

I am posting this on my FB and other social places - what could I add / change?

VERSION 1:

Ajit Pai, the current FCC chairman, used to be a top lawyer for Verizon is rushing forward with its planned vote to kill net neutrality on December 14th

He’s made it clear that he doesn’t care what the public, small businesses, or tech experts say, he’s planning to vote to kill net neutrality in less than three weeks.

Congress can still stop him, but they’ll only do it if we can keep their phones ringing off the hook. Will you contact your lawmakers right now?

Comcast, Verizon and AT&T want to end net neutrality so they can control what we see & do online. First, they want to gut FCC rules in a December 14 vote. Then, they plan to pass bad legislation that allows extra fees, throttling & censorship. But Congress can put a stop to all of this. Write them first, then call!

just take 2 minutes to do so Comcast wants to control what you do online. Do you want to let them? OR Call My Congress

and tell your congress man/woman:
I urge you to stop the FCC's plan to end net neutrality *before* the FCC's December 14th vote.

I don't want ISPs to have the power to block websites, slow them down, give some sites an advantage over others, split the Internet into "fast lanes" for companies that pay and "slow lanes" for the rest, or force me to buy special "tiers" to access the sites and services I choose. But that's exactly what the FCC plan would do. Please read it: https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-347927A1.pdf

Blocking & throttling by ISPs is a serious problem. Comcast has throttled Netflix, AT&T blocked FaceTime, Time Warner Cable throttled the popular game League of Legends, and Verizon admitted it will introduce fast lanes for sites that pay-and slow lanes for everyone else-if the FCC lifts the rules. This hurts consumers and businesses large and small.

If some companies can pay ISPs to have their content load faster, startups and small businesses that can't pay those fees won't be able to compete. This will kill the open marketplace that has enabled millions of small businesses and created America’s 5 most valuable companies. Without strong net neutrality protections, Internet providers will effectively be able to impose a tax on every sector of the American economy.

Moreover, under Chairman Pai's plan, ISPs will be able to make it more difficult to access political speech that they don't like. They'll be able to charge fees for website delivery that would make it harder for blogs, nonprofits, artists, and others who can't pay up to have their voices heard.

If the FCC passes their current order, every Internet user and business in this country will be unprotected from abuse by Internet providers, and the consequences will be dire. Please publicly support net neutrality protections by denouncing the FCC's current plan. Do whatever you can to stop Chairman Pai, to ensure that businesses and Internet users remain protected.

Thank you!

===========================

VERSION 2:

Ajit Pai, the current FCC chairman, used to be a top lawyer for Verizon is rushing forward with its planned vote to kill net neutrality on December 14th

He’s made it clear that he doesn’t care what the public, small businesses, or tech experts say, he’s planning to vote to kill net neutrality in less than three weeks.

Comcast wants to control what you do online. Do you want to let them? OR Call My Congress

P.S. Want to do more? There are more than 200 net neutrality protests planned across the country - go to The FCC is about to kill net neutrality. It's time to protest. to find one near you!

what do you think?

this is how it is in much of the world and this is what is coming to US in a year if this passes:
lQWWsW5.jpg

good videos about net neutrality:

The Internet Is UNDER ATTACK, Net Neutrality is Dying, and What You Can Do...

see this Net Neutrality II Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

MORE net neutrality - YouTube

please improve it and please share it

Really just take 45 seconds to do it all at Comcast wants to control what you do online. Do you want to let them?

if not for your sake - for the sake of your children ...

thank you ...
dear brothers and sisters

I am posting this on my FB and other social places - what could I add / change?

VERSION 1:

Congress can still stop him, but they’ll only do it if we can keep their phones ringing off the hook. Will you contact your lawmakers right now?

Comcast, Verizon and AT&T want to end net neutrality so they can control what we see & do online. First, they want to gut FCC rules in a December 14 vote. Then, they plan to pass bad legislation that allows extra fees, throttling & censorship. But Congress can put a stop to all of this. Write them first, then call!

just take 2 minutes to do so Comcast wants to control what you do online. Do you want to let them? OR Call My Congress

and tell your congress man/woman:
I urge you to stop the FCC's plan to end net neutrality *before* the FCC's December 14th vote.

I don't want ISPs to have the power to block websites, slow them down, give some sites an advantage over others, split the Internet into "fast lanes" for companies that pay and "slow lanes" for the rest, or force me to buy special "tiers" to access the sites and services I choose. But that's exactly what the FCC plan would do. Please read it: https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-347927A1.pdf

Blocking & throttling by ISPs is a serious problem. Comcast has throttled Netflix, AT&T blocked FaceTime, Time Warner Cable throttled the popular game League of Legends, and Verizon admitted it will introduce fast lanes for sites that pay-and slow lanes for everyone else-if the FCC lifts the rules. This hurts consumers and businesses large and small.

If some companies can pay ISPs to have their content load faster, startups and small businesses that can't pay those fees won't be able to compete. This will kill the open marketplace that has enabled millions of small businesses and created America’s 5 most valuable companies. Without strong net neutrality protections, Internet providers will effectively be able to impose a tax on every sector of the American economy.

Moreover, under Chairman Pai's plan, ISPs will be able to make it more difficult to access political speech that they don't like. They'll be able to charge fees for website delivery that would make it harder for blogs, nonprofits, artists, and others who can't pay up to have their voices heard.

If the FCC passes their current order, every Internet user and business in this country will be unprotected from abuse by Internet providers, and the consequences will be dire. Please publicly support net neutrality protections by denouncing the FCC's current plan. Do whatever you can to stop Chairman Pai, to ensure that businesses and Internet users remain protected.

Thank you!

VERSION 2:

The backlash over the last few days has been incredible. Hundreds of thousands of you have taken action already and it seems like we filled every voicemail box on Capitol Hill!

Comcast wants to control what you do online. Do you want to let them? OR Call My Congress

P.S. Want to do more? There are more than 200 net neutrality protests planned across the country - go to The FCC is about to kill net neutrality. It's time to protest. to find one near you!

what do you think?

this is how it is in much of the world and this is what is coming to US in a year if this passes:
lQWWsW5.jpg

good videos about net neutrality:

The Internet Is UNDER ATTACK, Net Neutrality is Dying, and What You Can Do...

see this Net Neutrality II Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

MORE net neutrality - YouTube

please improve it and please share it

Really just take 45 seconds to do it all at Comcast wants to control what you do online. Do you want to let them?

if not for your sake - for the sake of your children ...

thank you ...

I'd rather manage this issue by voting with my dollars instead of allowing a bunch of clueless bureaucrats assisted by lobbyists take care of it. Too many competition and innovation-killing regulations result that never expire, augmented by endless unintended consequences. It's not like there is only one option in most areas of the US for high speed internet access.

Yes this is happening but like most posts you say because its done in some other country that it WILL happen here. This issue did not exist in 2015 so why does it exist 3 years later?

The pictures you are sharing are actually apps that are offered when purchasing a new phone in portugal not what the portagese pay for accessing websites on the internet. Something to do with cloud storage with those Apps but I speak very little spanish and there are differences between it and Portugese. I went to the company website which anyone else can also do and it currently offers 1 GB dl and 200 MB upload, for 24.99 euro, and does not mention plans.

If your internet provider changes your plan and tries to limit access then you can go to another company or even more of a radical idea just dont use the internet. Or just wait 5 years when the FCC members are replaced by people that also believe in open internet and make it illegal again to manipulate access on the internet.

One thing that's being dramatically misrepresented both here and everywhere else this "discussion" is occurring is that "Net Neutrality" isn't really about an open internet. "Net Neutrality" is the mostly-inaccurate (but useful to public perception) name for aggressive internet regulations. This isn't about big telecom companies fighting to keep the small guys down, it's a fight between giants. This isn't David vs Goliath, it's Google/Netflix vs Charter/TimeWarner.

This is a matter of inaccurate public perception of a subject that is MUCH more complicated than just saying "we're losing the open internet."

I'd rather manage this issue by voting with my dollars instead of allowing a bunch of clueless bureaucrats assisted by lobbyists take care of it. Too many competition and innovation-killing regulations result that never expire, augmented by endless unintended consequences. It's not like there is only one option in most areas of the US for high speed internet access.

I live in the middle of Dallas. Unless I want to pay $10k for cable to come run a line, my only option is AT&T DSL.

But I think you missed the point of net neutrality. Maybe try watching the John Oliver video.

Maybe try watching the John Oliver video.

I did, accepting it all is another matter. There may be some short term advantages to a subset of the population but the long term problems that intervention will cause will be with is far longer and that will ultimately hurt everyone.

Unfortunately not true. 50 million US homes have only one 25Mbps Internet provider or none at all

I live in the middle of Dallas. Unless I want to pay $10k for cable to come run a line, my only option is AT&T DSL.

But I think you missed the point of net neutrality. Maybe try watching the John Oliver video.

I'm sorry, but John Oliver's video had multiple inaccurate statements besides the incredible bias. Treating it as fact is simply putting blinders on to the narrative he and others want to paint. That narrative being that "Net Neutrality" means a free and open internet and is the best that things can be. Net Neutrality is more regulation on the internet, and is far from the best it can be.

Instead of blindly following a biased comedian's rant and simply being angry/frustrated at the repeal of a 2-year-old set of regulations, maybe work positively towards viewing the bigger picture overall and realizing that Net Neutrality is incredibly flawed and there are better ways of ensuring the internet stays properly open and even.

25 Mb is high speed. I live in the sticks (150 miles north of San Francisco on the coast). It is a very small community and Comcast and AT&T are both pulling more fiber lines over 40 miles. That is competition, not mandated. A few years ago, most people were delighted when they could get over 3 Mb. The technology is moving way too fast for government can keep up.

Cellular, satellite, cable, and phone companies are all fighting for our money and doing their best to entice us with better service and a lower price. Fortunately, technology is allowing them to still make an attractive profit or we'd still be using 128 Kb modems.

If we applied the laws of Net Neutrality to other industries, I believe it becomes painfully obvious that it's incredibly flawed. Let's apply it to shipping.

With Shipping Neutrality, all mail has to take the same amount of time to deliver. Short distance? Long distance? International? It all must take the same amount of time. That's being neutral. Well, what if you want to pay more for overnight delivery? Too bad. What if you want to include shipping in the cost of the item? Too bad, that's favoritism. Amazon Prime is now illegal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom