No Topic/Chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciated the report Jamie.

If you didn't like it why didn't you delete it? Works for me. :D

I don't delete posts arbitrarily. The conversation had not escalated to a point where that was necessary, but was showing the potential to. Since several users have chosen to self-censor, I've removed those posts as they've requested. Thanks to all of you for the cooperation.

With out considering the cold water how many days of good wind direction and weather would you say it take before there is a half way decent chance of diving?

Only been diving Venice area for less than a year....so I am no expert (with the ocean conditions, who is right?)... but generally before I make the 80 mile drive I look for about 2 days of easterly winds. And I check the forum and the SwellInfo page. But again, I haven't really figured it out.

Been really wanting to go fossil hunting, but conditions have been washed out. I heard that 3 or 4 years ago no one did any tooth hunting between December and March (conditions were so bad). Hope it is not another year like that.

Remember, if anyone goes out, please post. :)

With out considering the cold water how many days of good wind direction and weather would you say it take before there is a half way decent chance of diving?

That would depend on what you consider "diveable conditions". One day of east winds will cause the surf to lay but for visibility to clear, east winds for:
1 day =~ 1 ft viz
2 days =<3 ft viz
3 days =~ 4-5 ft viz

This also depends on tides, and if the wind stays steady from the east. It's not absolute but a good rule for beach diving out to about 25 FSW. Vizibility improve faster in deeper water but it's unlikely you'll find 2-4 ft viz after only 1 day of east winds, especially if the winds were blowing 25+ MPH from the west for several days beforehand.

Well, been a looong dry winter due to some financial issues. Over the hump and ready to get wet again. Going down to Venice this weekend 9-11 April, Woohoo! My first submersion since November!

Hoping with the weather and conditions improving that I'll see some of the regulars out there on the beaches. I'll be coming alone as my daughter's temperature tolerance doesn't extend below 75 deg.

:(Bad news is wife of 20 years is now 'ex' and has no interest in continuuing diving. (single male diver anyone?) Consequently I have a Diva XLT size Lg available. I wanted to make it available to those I'm acquainted with before I publish it to the for sale/trade forum. It's in new shape but been closet bound for two years - been worn by my wife for four dives (2 salt and two spring dives). Weight integrated. Very comfortable and I would almost wear it myself if I could get over the fact it's made specifically for women (maybe I'll put a piece of tape over the name). For reference, wife is about 5'4" and a 36D, curvaceous, and it fit her well. Comes with brand new wenoka deep see squeeze knife and 5' SMB. I was going to ask $200 obo, or trade for steel tank, regulator, older used SOT kayak, etc. I'll bring it with me if you want to look at it or try it on. PM me if interested.

See you down there,
Steve

Last edited:
Hey Steve, sorry to hear.

But, OTOH, will that mean we will be seeing more of you at SB gatherings? :D

Yea, it was a bit of a surprise after 20 years. Took me a bit to realize she was right.

I hope to be a bit more active in diving now. Still have the custody schedule to work around but the kids are one thing we both prioritize on and on my days off I'm not compromising with a non-diver anymore.:wink:

The dive reports are sounding better and better and thanks to all for reporting them. I'm hoping the east and northeast predictions hold for the weekend. I just might get out......assuming the boat runs after sitting all winter. What are the odds of that? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom