NO where close to Matt....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the replies and sorry for the slow response.

I'll give HSA a call or e-mail.

Thanks again.

Michael

I'd totally encourage you to pursue further training! And don't get hung up on the training agency -- I think most are flexible enough to accommodate those with physical disabilities.

Ultimately, it depends more on your instructor / course director as to how you advance.

I'd love the opportunity to work with someone who has the direction and motivation to pursue an endeavour such as yours.

Cheers,

Obviously you were able to become SSI certified therefore the field is open in my opinion. You may need to find a way to accomplish tasks in an alternative manner but overall I see no reason for you to not pursue further accreditation. It is important only for you to recognize your own limitations and accept what you may or may not be able to accomplish. Quite often there are different ways to do the same thing. It can take some time and a sense of humour to find. It is also important to be able to recognize your own limitations in regards to accommodating your disability. Although I was able to complete and attain full ACUC open water certification I do not feel capable of becoming a rescue diver, I cannot walk and my finning and arm strength are compromised. Nevertheless I may take the course for educational purposes, you never know. Fortunately I have trained with instructors who did not make "allowances" for me in regards to diver and buddy safety. Granted I cannot do a standing stride entry, but my in water skills were tested at the same level as the rest of my class. And I was able to tow a buddy the required length of the pool. Whoo hoooo. Anyway best wishes to you and happy diving.

I can't think of any skills or any other issues that would keep you from becoming an instructor just because you only have one arm. If you can get certified, you can keep going from there. Some skills may be a little more difficult, but if you were hanging drywall, then I'm pretty sure those will be a breeze.

Thanks all and again sorry for the late reply. Been really busy and missed these posts. I think sometime next month, my dive buddy and I are going to get our advanced and nitrox certs. I'm thinking i want to get wreck, cavern and shallow certs as well. In June, I think, I plan to take a DIR-Fundies class. So, maybe going a little tech will be in my future. Who knows, I may go full board into an instructor cert. :)

Thanks again for all the encouraging words.

Michael

Best of luck in the class, It really depends on the course director from what I would imagine, and have seen. If the SSI instructor / DM classes are like the PADI ones at all, the only issue I imagine is having you support the head of someone out of the water while doing rescue breaths, i'm sure theres a way around that problem for you, but my guess is thats where you will have to convince the course director. So see what works for a situation like that for you, that way when it comes time to take the course and they try to give you argument, you can personal explain the technique that makes it possible for you to demonstrate the required skills.

I am a disabled instructor Michael. I was an instructor prior to incurring the disability, went inactive for a couple of years then started teaching again. SDI required a special evaluation in order to renew my full instructor status. The concern was the ability to meet the physical demands of being an instructor. This means not just the diving aspect but your ability to provide aid and assistance to your student(s) should they have a problem.

If you find an agency to certify you as an instructor you still need to make a realistic assessment of your capabilities. You may find you do not want to get involved in some aspects of training even though the certification agency has given you the green light.

Even though I received a complete recertification with no restrictions I limit my certifcation activities based upon the dive conditions with respect to my disability. (I had burst fracture of the L1 and a spinal cord injury)

You also need to consider your personal liability situation.

I think Lewis gave some really sound advice.

Thanks Cheeky and Lewis,

I might be taking a small break to diving and more classes for an instructor status. My wife and I are pregnant and I need to spend time with her and then the baby too. but, on the other side of that, before the baby gets here, I'm going to be getting into better shape. I've slacked off quite a bit and gained some unneeded pounds. So I'm going to work on that. I only have 20 dives right now, but I can feel myself getting better each time. Yesterday, I actually took my time to look at things and not worry so much about everything. So in time, I know I'll get better and better.

Thanks again guys.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom