Non Diving, Quiet Beach Loving Wife - Where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheFife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are looking to plan our first trip to Cozumel. My purpose in going is to dive. I don't have any other requirements. However, my wife doesn't dive, so I need to make sure the accommodations work for her needs. For a point of reference, in Aruba, Manchebo or another nice hotel in the low rise area is ideal. Having never been to Cozumel, I don't know what the options are. Here is what I am looking for:

• Non AI - My wife loves to eat good food. Neither of us drink. It seems like an AI is a waste of money, since we will be eating at a variety of restaurants. On vacation, we won't be prepping our own meals, so a kitchen isn't needed either. If a hotel happens to be an all inclusive, but it fits all the other criteria, then I would be willing to stay there, and just consider the wasted food/alcohol the cost of doing business.
  • Beach Front - While I am diving, my wife will be lounging in a chair, enjoying the weather. A beachfront is ideal. Something where you don't have to reserve loungers is what she wants. From my initial investigation, this seems to be where Cozumel is very lacking. I haven't run across many nice beaches right in front of hotels. Many seem like small, man made sand boxes with 4 or 5 chairs.
  • Quiet - A more laid back beach is a lot more relaxing than an overcrowded place for cruise ship passengers to trample through. Ideally, staying far from high traffic cruise ship areas is best.
  • Nice - We aren't looking for a budget motel sort of place. If it were just a trip for me to dive, that is what I would seek out. For my wife to have a good time, staying in a "nice" place is a must. It doesn't have to be 5 stars, but it can't be a run down, shabby place.

Does Cozumel have anything that fits the above? I really want to experience the famous Cozumel drift diving, but I need a place to stay that gives my wife a reason to go too.

My wife and I are looking to plan our first trip to Cozumel. My purpose in going is to dive. I don't have any other requirements. However, my wife doesn't dive, so I need to make sure the accommodations work for her needs. For a point of reference, in Aruba, Manchebo or another nice hotel in the low rise area is ideal. Having never been to Cozumel, I don't know what the options are. Here is what I am looking for:

• Non AI - My wife loves to eat good food. Neither of us drink. It seems like an AI is a waste of money, since we will be eating at a variety of restaurants. On vacation, we won't be prepping our own meals, so a kitchen isn't needed either. If a hotel happens to be an all inclusive, but it fits all the other criteria, then I would be willing to stay there, and just consider the wasted food/alcohol the cost of doing business.
  • Beach Front - While I am diving, my wife will be lounging in a chair, enjoying the weather. A beachfront is ideal. Something where you don't have to reserve loungers is what she wants. From my initial investigation, this seems to be where Cozumel is very lacking. I haven't run across many nice beaches right in front of hotels. Many seem like small, man made sand boxes with 4 or 5 chairs.
  • Quiet - A more laid back beach is a lot more relaxing than an overcrowded place for cruise ship passengers to trample through. Ideally, staying far from high traffic cruise ship areas is best.
  • Nice - We aren't looking for a budget motel sort of place. If it were just a trip for me to dive, that is what I would seek out. For my wife to have a good time, staying in a "nice" place is a must. It doesn't have to be 5 stars, but it can't be a run down, shabby place.

Does Cozumel have anything that fits the above? I really want to experience the famous Cozumel drift diving, but I need a place to stay that gives my wife a reason to go too.

I have the same "constraints". We both love the Aldora Villa. Not exactly a beach (there is a ~5' seawall), but there is a sand 'beach' up to that seawall and a very easy stair entry into the water. FWIW the ocean is ~15' deep at the seawall and excellent snorkeling. Once the divers leave, the 'beach' it is usually almost empty. "Nice" accommodations is a relative term, we're very happy with the creature comforts.

Finally, the whole place has a relaxed, laid-back vibe that makes it easy for us to move into vacation mode

Restraurants are in town. Beaches are not. Most lodging with a beach are AI. El Presidente may be the only exception that meets your requirements.

I've never been to Cozumel, but I've read that some of the resorts the AI aspect is cheap enough that you can use it just for breakfasts and drinking and just when convenient, and not feel guilty if you skip it and go elsewhere for most dinners. I don't know how true that is but perhaps worth considering?

I've never been to Cozumel, but I've read that some of the resorts the AI aspect is cheap enough that you can use it just for breakfasts and drinking and just when convenient, and not feel guilty if you skip it and go elsewhere for most dinners. I don't know how true that is but perhaps worth considering?
It was true for us last December! $1068 for TWO AI for 8 days...thought we would hit town for dinner each night but in reality, we did only twice....Occidental Resort. Alcohol included :wink:

Cozumel Beach resort...about 3-4km south of town was a nice resort...we did breakfast only there. Across the street, they had a nice private beach also with a step off into the water...we had there only 2 bedroom suite....nice setup. We ate locally each night on this trip...dive shop on premises too.

I have not personally stayed here, but based on your stated criteria, this place might fit the bill? Probably could ask them for a modified meal plan and about 4km from the central plaza. Casa del mar Cozumel

I suggest you ask your question on the Cozumel subforum. You will get a ton of answers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom