Non-existent EU support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is OSTC an abbreviation (or acronym) for and what are you advising some unnamed person to replace with it?
It's another brand of dive computer (made in Germany?). Similar to Ratio and others.

The OP is talking about Shearwater computers.

If goods are sent in for repair in the UK and return to the EU then they should be classed as a temporary import, sounds easy yes, but the freight forwarders would need to do register this on arrival and then match it back to the re-export declaration once the goods are repaired and Shearwater would probably also need to registered with customs and excise.

The owner of the goods might be liable for VAT on the services carried out in the UK when they reimport but there should be no import duties, however the freight forwarded will likely charge for the customs declarations

Before brexit this would have all been done without any paperwork or costs

We have a similar situation in Canada having to send many goods to the US for warranty work. I've had a good and a bad experience with this - neither scuba related.

Good: the manufacturer sent me a return shipping label within minutes of contacting them via website chat. They took care of all paperwork and sent back the repaired unit with everything prepaid. (Oppo Digital - sadly no longer in business)

Bad: I paid shipping to the manufacturer, they shipped it back but labelled it like it was a new purchase and with a value at "Comparable" price which was higher than listed on their website. I was stuck for a pile of tax and duty and fees. Ended up paying almost the the original price I paid to get it repaired. (Cambridge Soundworks - now part of Creative labs and sadly effectively gone)

I don't own a Shearwater, but if I did and needed service they are located about 45 minute drive from my house. Most products I'm not so lucky on.

Did you get your Teric fixed? What did you end up doing and long did it take?
I had to sold it, there wasn’t a way to repair it with acceptable budget (and time). I found a buyer who didnt need the AI functionality so he got it with a small discount, and I was in better place then if I had to fight eith the non-existent European support. :/

Quite sad experience was that to me, never experienced anything similar whrever I bought anything from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom