Non-spearing charter ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People who buy seafood or meat in a grocery store but cry out about spearfishing test my patience to the extreme. The destructive practices -- and huge and wasteful bycatch -- of commercial fishing means nothing to them. Exact same kind of people who could hold a deliteful tea party while slaves were working in the fields. Get in touch. Grow up. "I'm OK with people killing fish for me to eat, but I don't want to watch it." Hyporites.

Nice melt!:rofl3:

People who buy seafood or meat in a grocery store but cry out about spearfishing test my patience to the extreme. The destructive practices -- and huge and wasteful bycatch -- of commercial fishing means nothing to them. Exact same kind of people who could hold a deliteful tea party while slaves were working in the fields. Get in touch. Grow up. "I'm OK with people killing fish for me to eat, but I don't want to watch it." Hyporites.

It's ok, like I said, when I'm spearing I don't want to be on the boat with people who aren't just like they don't want to be with us.
Although spearing tends to be very "green." I have yet to be on a boat with a non spearo that didn't say, "What was all that green stuff when you shot him?"

I've seen some weird stuff and even though some people dive with no current and swim back to the boat, I wouldn't leave an empty boat. Just friendly reminder because not everyone has dived from a boat on their own before. I know it was weird the first time I did it.

Even leaving someone at the boat may not be safe if that person is not situationally aware -- and capable of operating the boat! Read about a couple guys here who left their girlfriend on the boat a few months ago. The anchor was dragging, and she didn't notice the GPS coordinates changing. Boat drifted to heck and gone before they surfaced. Then the GF didn't know how to come and get them. They had to ditch their gear and swim for it, or they would have floated away to Mexico.

As a member of P.E.T.A (People Eating Tasty Animals) I for one can say it isn't a 'green' thing, it's a 'I don't know you and how safe you are' thing...

It's kinda like saying, 'Hey, let's go to the park with a bunch of strangers with loaded guns and have them shoot stuff around us.'

Since there is no licensing required to own/use a speargun, I watch speargunners like a hawk when/if they end up on a cattle boat I am on. When I dive with my buds, spear away, because I know them and I know they are safe.

I prefer to patronize boats that drop speargunners off a distance away from everyone else and let them do their thing, than drop the whole boat of divers off in the same drop zone.

As a member of P.E.T.A (People Eating Tasty Animals) I for one can say it isn't a 'green' thing, it's a 'I don't know you and how safe you are' thing...

It's kinda like saying, 'Hey, let's go to the park with a bunch of strangers with loaded guns and have them shoot stuff around us.'

Since there is no licensing required to own/use a speargun, I watch speargunners like a hawk when/if they end up on a cattle boat I am on. When I dive with my buds, spear away, because I know them and I know they are safe.

I prefer to patronize boats that drop speargunners off a distance away from everyone else and let them do their thing, than drop the whole boat of divers off in the same drop zone.

Excellent point there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom