normoxic/Hypoxic diffrences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Actually your naming convention is even more confusing. 30/30 is called triox and contains 30% oxygen and 30% helium but 50/50 contains 50% O2 and 50% helium?
Yep. Normally, nitrogen is assumed to make up the rest of the mix. The use of terms like "triox" is something I am not so sure is a good idea.
wedivebc:
If I wanted a heliox mixture containing 15% 02 and the renainder HE how would I designate that?
15/85 would get you there.
wedivebc:
BTW helitrox is not the same as heliox.
The last I saw on it, helitrox was 26/17. I do not understand the advantages of that. I also feel the same about the name as I do about "triox".
wedivebc:
And I forgot about heliair, yeah yet another name for a gas commonly used in the dive industry.
That was an interesting kludge made by putting helium in a tank and topping it with air. Since it has become easier to top with nitrox, heliair has lost much of it's charm.

To_Narced:
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone could explain to me what he diffrence between normoxic and hypoxic is. My buddys are tech divers and I often hear them use these terms but I jave never grasped there full meaning. Thanks to anyone who could help.

They may have been just trying to impress you. Or else they were referring to the classes they took for their trimix C-cards.

In real life all these mixes are referred to verbally simply by their first 2 numbers which represent their oxygen and helium fractions, respectively:

30/30
25/35
20/40
18/50
15/60
12/65
10/70
5/95
etc

They are all identified in the same manner, as TMX xx/xx. Therefore they are all technically called trimix. When speaking about them, divers often mention the numbers first and then say "trimix" afterwards, such as "30/30 trimix." But when ordering them, you alway designate as: "TMX 30/30."

The 5/95 blend is actually called Heli-ox as well, since it contains only oxygen and helium and not air nor any of the gasses found in air, such as nitrogen or argon etc. Although it is not a "tri-mix" in the strictest sense of the term (O2 plus He plus air) it is still designated like a trimix for identification purposes, when you would order it. This is a commercial diving mix that most amateur tech divers will never use.

The hypoxic mixes are anything with an O2 fraction less than 21. These are normally mixes designed for diving deeper than the MOD of air (using 1.4 ATAs for the ppO2), at which point you must thin out the oxygen in order to dive to a shipwreck or reef deeper. The course designation for the certification to dive these mixes is called "hypoxic trimix" but the mixes are simply referred to as TRIMIX. Nobody really uses the term "hypoxic" after they get their advanced trimix C-card. Unless they are trying to impress you.

Anything with a 21 fraction for O2 is normoxic. But it would still be called trimix to indicate that it contains O2, He, and air. The course designation for the beginning trimix class is called "normoxic trimix" but nobody calles the mixes that. Occasionally you will hear a diver say that he/she is certified for "normoxic" trimix. That simply means they have completed the beginner trimix class but are not finished with their advanced trimix training yet.

The hyperoxic mixes are anything with an O2 fraction more than 21. These are normally decompression mixes, although then can also be dived as primary mixes in the shallower ranges from 70ft to somewhat deeper. They are also called Heli-trox by some, a bad conglomeration of "helium" and "nitrox." But again, they are simply referred to as TRIMIX in the general parlance of technical deco scuba, and ordered as TMX xx/xx.

You will hear trimix mentioned all the time around tech deco divers, but more frequently you will just hear them mention the first two numbers of the fraction designation when they are talking about trimix. You will also hear nitrox mentioned, referring to EAN32, or EAN36, or EAN50 to distinguish these mixes as NOT having helium in them. And when divers mention oxygen they are referring to 100% O2. I do not think anyone dives with EAN80 anymore, except possibly in some training classes with older instructors who still believe that pure O2 is a voodoo gas.

Heli-Air? That is what you get when you start with a tank partially filled with Helium, and then you add air to it. It is still designated TMX xx/xx it is just mixed without adding oxygen to the tank first. These mixes tend to be high in nitrogen, and therefore frowned upon. It is not a trimix in the strictest sense of the word, because you did not blend 3 gasses to get it (oxygen, helium, and air), you only blended 2 (helium and air). However the TMX xx/xx designation still represents the 2 major fractions for O2 and He.

If you get your basic nitrox cert, then your advanced nitrox cert, then take a deco class, then basic trimix, and finally advanced trimix, then that will train you for all mixes and all depths. It won't train you to go into a cave or shipwreck, but it will train you for anything else at almost any reasonable depth.

Don Burke:
...The use of terms like "triox" is something I am not so sure is a good idea... The last I saw on it, helitrox was 26/17. I do not understand the advantages of that...

30/30 is a helitrox as well. It is great as a deco mix in the range of 130 to 80 ft, before you switch to your EAN50, and after you have been doing deco with your backgas or another hypoxic trimix, on a really deep dive, such as over 8.5 ATAs.

26/17 and 25/35 are also Helitroxes, however they are not very useful as deco mixes, although good for diving in the range of 100 ft and slightly greater. And some people dive with TMX 30/30 as a primary mix for single tank diving as well. At least, lately. :)

triton94949:
30/30 is a helitrox as well. It is great as a deco mix in the range of 130 to 80 ft, before you switch to your EAN50, and after you have been doing deco with your backgas or another hypoxic trimix, on a really deep dive, such as over 8.5 ATAs.

26/17 and 25/35 are also Helitroxes, however they are not very useful as deco mixes, although good for diving in the range of 100 ft and slightly greater. And some people dive with TMX 30/30 as a primary mix for single tank diving as well. At least, lately. :)
So, what's the difference between trimix, triox and helitrox?
BTW lots of divers use 80%. Sometimes it's just the best mix for the job.

trimix is oxygen, nitrogen, and helium

triox is just hyperoxic trimix, used around 100-180.... so... it's still trimix

helitrox is a pre-mixed mixture of trimix containing 26% O2 / 17% He
(i can't figure out why those percentages got named helitrox... but there you have it).

so... helitrox is also triox, since it's hyperoxic?

and...they're both trimix :11:

yeah, i got helitrox and heliox mixed up... go figure...

really its not about what you call it, its about what the appropriate gas is for your depth and profile...

but since we're talking silly names how about hydreliox, hydrox, neox, neoquad, argox, xenonox and kryptonox?

H2Andy:
trimix is oxygen, nitrogen, and helium

triox is just hyperoxic trimix, used around 100-180.... so... it's still trimix

helitrox is a pre-mixed mixture of trimix containing 26% O2 / 17% He
(i can't figure out why those percentages got named helitrox... but there you have it).

so... helitrox is also triox, since it's hyperoxic?

and...they're both trimix :11:
This is the best argument against buzzwords have seen in some time. :)

H2Andy:
trimix is oxygen, nitrogen, and helium...

Trimix is oxygen (which normally goes into the O2 cleaned tank first), and helium (which normally goes in second), topped off with AIR (not nitrogen).

Remember that AIR contains nitrogen (78%), oxygen (21%), argon (0.9%), and other trace gasses like CO2, etc.

We often think of trimix as being 3 elements (O2, N2, and He) when in reality it is more than that. It sounds like a nit, but when you try to calculate your oxygen fraction and your mix ratios and the compressibility of gasses, you gain a greater appreciation for the actual 3 gasses in the tri-mix. Air complicates things immensely. It would be easier if the third mix were pure N2 but it is not unfortunately. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom