North Carolina diver found underwater, retrieved by Coast Guard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be shocked if the Coast Guard found a Captain so impaired (not only alcohol, but any impairment that did not allow him to complete his voyage) that they relieved him and brought his vessel home.

As a point of order, keeping in mind this is A&I, let's all acknowledge that this is an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. Diverdown did use the word "apparently" :).

Apparently the USCG relieved the captain of his duties on site

Looking back on it, I should have just kept my mouth shut unless it was confirmed. I was wrong to do that, my apologies

My understanding of what happened is inconsistent with what DiverDownD3 shared. I can understand how pieces of the story could be misinterpreted to come to that conclusion though.

I'm not the right person to share anything more. I wasn't involved in the accident, and I'm not involved in any investigation. Just thought it was important to try to clear that up before speculation took over the conversation.

I'm sure that more and better information will come out when the time is right, so we can learn from whatever mistakes they may have made that day.

My understanding from some one who does not speculate but has a lot of connections in the Wilmington diving community was that there were two people in the boat. Doing spear fishing. Captain and the diver. When diver did not report back the captain called in. When coast guard came they dropped a diver who got on the boat. Then the captain retrieved the down diver. They were not anchored but had a buoy marking where the diver was dropped. The diver's tanks were not empty but this person I talked to did not know how much air was left nor what the mix was.

Assuming this information is all correct, crucial information seem to me to be the dive profile, the mix, and a check for contamination in the tanks. Otherwise it sounds like SOP for similar operations. Like Brad says we will have to wait to see what information the Coast Guard eventually releases.

Note that with this version of the events the dropped coast guard person took over operation of the boat while the boat captain became a recovery diver so that technically the captain was replaced so that someone could be at the helm during the recovery. I did not hear anything about the replacement being anything but termporary. No idea about that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom