Northern AL Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lifes an ocean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have moved down to AL from NC and lost all my dive buddies, and presently looking for anyone in the Northern AL area who is searching for a dive buddy. I live in the Huntsville Area. My experience:

12 dives-5 of which have been ocean, rest in quarries.
My air comsumption as of now lasts me about 20-30 minutes in the water.

I am looking for someone along my lines so I am not hindering any divers, or an experienced one to go out with every once in awhile.

Hey welcome to the area. I think you'll like it. We have a active bunch here just jump into the Deep Dixie Divers forum and you'll find us. We have two local dive clubs that you can join. You have the NNDC that's meeting at 6:30 this evening at Market Street Cafe in Decatur and the SEAS club that meets once a month at Landry's in Huntsville.

If you can make it to tonight's meeting just drop me an PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you directions. I'll also send you my SEAS notice when I get it.

We've got a quarry in Madison that we dive and I'm thinking about running over there Saturday. If I go you can join me if not i'm sure there's someone else that will be there. We also sometimes go and dive Cape Lookout every three years or so. We may do another trip this summer.

AL

Welcome to Alabama, and to SB. Make sure to register and align yourself as an Ala or Auburn fan. Can't be none of this 50 yard half and half stuff. Lol.

On a serious note, there are quite a few divers around here. If you haven't done so, make sure you turn on the buddy finder in your profile. As for you SAC rate? don't sweat it bud, it will go down with practice.

Kenny

Thanks all, and as for Alabama or Auburn, I am sorry I can go for neither right now...Still stuck with UNC, but if it helps, I will root for whichever team has the majority of supporters around me, or whichever will get the most rise out of the people around me :) What can I say, I like to stir the pot sometimes.

Are there any local quarries to dive in around here. I was told the one that is in Decatur is not public, and I was told that there was one in Madison somewhere but it is closing down soon, or has already. Any of that true?

The one 'near' Decatur is not public, but we dive it a few times a year. The owner is nice and will let us diver it. not much to see in it but a pile of tires though. but it's one of the clearest quarries I've been in.

Madison Quarry is open until the end of October. check Better Diver Madison Quarry
It's open on weekends. Cost is $20 bucks (cash reccomended as I don't think they have a credit card machine on site). It's closing down soon because the lease is only until the end of October. Hopefully we'll hear some good news on that soon though.

The Madison Quarry will be about 72f to 76f right about now with little or no thermocline to a depth of about 45 feet max. Nice and warm still. They have a couple docks set up for entry and several items sunk. A firetruck, s-10 pickup, several runabout boats, 3 houseboat size boats, assorted tubes, a F4 fighter, a Minuteman Missile, a small bridge span, lots of display stuff from the local NASA museum that the dont use anymore and was sunk. Lines are strung from most items to other items. It's a great place to dive and nice and convienent.

They have some rental equipment and tanks onsite, but it's advised to reserve them first as they might already be all in use (by rental or a class). If so there are a couple other dive shops around that have gear/tanks also. They have airfills on site and I think his air is o2 clean now and might have nitrox fills. Most folks just bring what tanks they'll need so that they don't have to drive back up top of the quarry and wait for a fill though.

The quarry up outside Nashville (Martha's Quarry) is closed right now. So is Glencoe Quarry (DiveLand) near gasden. Alabama Bluewater (just south of Birmingham) is open also. There is another quarry outside of Moulton (about 1/2 hour west of Decatur) that may or may not be open. I haven't heard a report on it all year. So not sure.

Thanks for the info on the Quarries. looks like my Saturday just opened up so I think I am going to try for the Madison Quarry this weekend. Anyone up for a few dives on Saturday?

I am going to try to get out there Saturday. I'll let you know if I'm coming.

AL

Do you ever dive "Alabama Blue WaterAdventures" in Pelham? I try to get over there about once a month from Atlanta. Nice dive, lots of stuff to see. Blue gill that eat hotdogs!
I try to go there on a Wednesday as that seems to be the slowest day, weekends can get a bit crowded.
If your interested I could let you know the next time the wife and I plan a trip.

Back
Top Bottom