Northern Gulf of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
I'm sad to hear the Whiskey Wreck is almost buried.
I also want to dive the army tanks sometime.
- The Whiskey Wreck being covered or uncovered is sort of a daily condition - it may be flat sand today, and after a good thunderbumper tonight is can be totally exposed tomorrow - or vice versa - you really don't know 'til you get there.
- There are 310 tanks, scattered about. Interesting dives. They're supposed to last a century because of their thick hides, but my bet is a decade because their weight is causing them to sink into the sand - so don't wait - dive 'em soon.
Rick

Any one ever dive, or have info on the Empire Mica out of Port St. Joe FL. I know the history, would like to here from someone that has dived it. (465 foot tanker went down June 3, 1942 in just over 100 fsw ) Thinking of making a trip over there this spring.
:tree: :mean:

I've been diving around the area for years.

We did Gulf shores every other weekend for years until we got on a first name basis with all the barnacles on the barges and liberty ships. Fred Givens ran a good boat out of Pleasure Island Divers, even if the diesel did get into the cabin no matter where the wind was. Then it was with Bert at UC2 in Orange Beach when Fred retired. About 7 years ago the yuppies found the place and "ruined" the Beach for budget divers. The Lighthouse used to be $20 for a room between Thanksgiving and Easter, and right across from the shop. Now the prices and such are high year 'round. It has been a while though so there may be a new batch of barnacles off there I havn't met yet

We also dove Destin regularly for several years and have dove off of Pensacola occasionally. For a dynamite charter out of Pensacola try a trip out on the Lowe Baby. Capt Lowe is more of a fishing charter than a diving one, and his "amenities" for divers are spartan at best, but he has a book of outstanding small "private" sites. He's a "take the whole boat or don't go" charter, but he's worth the extra effort and $s if you can get a trip of 6 to 10 relatively experienced divers together.

The grey ghost, and mica out of PC are primo, as are the deeper stages. The strength has improved a lot since the last 'cane tore her open too.

Of course for REALLY outstanding dives depart the Biloxi or D'Iberville Small Craft harbor and head out Dog Key Pass. Bear SSE for 40 to 70 miles and then look for structures sticking out of the water. Any and all of those rigs are good diving, and will fill the freezer in short order!

FT

I started Diving with Fred Givens and his son Rick in 1986 every weekend for years. When the GulfDiver (there dive boat) did not have eneough to go he would get his Buddy< I forget his name , to take my buddy and myself out on his 25 ft. CC.
Now I'm instructing at DownUnder Hope to have my own Shop SOON. You can contact me at www.gulfdiver.net (not quite on all finished yet, but soon) or gary@gulfdiver.net If You are Interested in diving some excellent sites.:tree: :mean:

If that's the case I'm certain we've shared deck more than once. At theat time I ws divng with a "viking". My buddy at that time had red hair, full red beard, and swims like an otter. Him you would remember, there are lots of black haired bearded critters around to confuse me with.

FT

Originally posted by algulfdiver
Any one ever dive, or have info on the Empire Mica out of Port St. Joe FL. I know the history, would like to here from someone that has dived it. (465 foot tanker went down June 3, 1942 in just over 100 fsw ) Thinking of making a trip over there this spring.
:tree: :mean:
Dove her this summer. There is about 125' of hull left, from the spare prop aft to just forward of the boilers - the rest has collapsed into a vast rubble field. Still a wonderful wreck that takes at least half a dozen dives just to see the whole thing with any kind of detail at all. Tons of fish - barracuda are frequently stacked in there like cordwood; bull sharks seen on probably every third dive or so.
Highly recommended.
Rick

Rick,
I dove the Mica in 1996 with Capt Black's Marine out of Port St. Joe. Do you know which dive operations are currently visiting the Mica? I know Hydorspace (Panama city) does it occasionally, but that's a 75 mile run each way.

Sieger (aka John)

Hydrospace is who we usually use - an all day affair. If it's rough it can be less than fun. My trip this summer it was glass and we had a wonderful time.
With the Gulf you never know 'til you're there.
Rick

Originally posted by sieger
Rick,
I dove the Mica in 1996 with Capt Black's Marine out of Port St. Joe. Do you know which dive operations are currently visiting the Mica? I know Hydorspace (Panama city) does it occasionally, but that's a 75 mile run each way.

Sieger (aka John)

Use Capt Killfish out of Port Saint Joe. The run from Port St Joe is a MUCH better ride than from Panama City.

CaptKillfish@aol.com

Here's a trip report I did on the trip we made 10/2000...

Empire Mica Trip Report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom