Northwest Ohio Quarrys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stop by Gilboa this Saturday around 10am and say hello....a bunch of us are sinking the Christmas tree for the 3 year running.

So what do you find in them there quarries? Always reading about 'em, but never done it. Seems like it would be a little boring compared to ocean diving of any kind!:drowse:

but the quarry at Gilboa has lots to look at. Boats, cars, trucks, a school bus and a pretty good sized airplane that you can penetrate. Tubes, platforms, tires are all suspended are various depth. Also, there is a large population of protected fish of various species that are fun to watch. A sunken forest to play in, walls to dive along, a road to follow to the deep end, that sort of thing.

No, it's not the ocean ( it's not even a Great Lake), and only 15 acres at the surface, it's kind of small, but you won't find a nicer group of divers anywhere and it's a much shorter drive than Florida is.

That's what quarry diving is about....

lobsterhead once bubbled...
So what do you find in them there quarries? Always reading about 'em, but never done it. Seems like it would be a little boring compared to ocean diving of any kind!:drowse:

Besides the comraderie with fellow divers [biggie], it's a local place to keep your gills wet and your skills in shape... like it or not, dive skills are perishable, so we have to keep wet in whatever area is close by so that those distant dive trips are more fun.

bob

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...

That's what quarry diving is about....
Damn and here I was thinking quarry diving was all about tormenting fish, carving your name in objects, and walking along the bottom...<<troll>>

O.K...yeah, I like gilboa a lot...I need to get there more often. Hopefully in the near future, I will be getting there a whole lot more. So I can enjoy those infrequent trips wb416 is talking about.

Back
Top Bottom