Norway or Iceland Next April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pete340

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be taking a business trip to Lillehammer, Norway next April. I'm considering doing some diving while I'm in the area. What's there to see in Norway? Another possibility is stopping in Iceland on the way out or back. Does anyone have any experience with The Sportdivingschool of Iceland (www.dive.is)?

Norway is pretty cool. Lots of wrecks and stuff. Iceland I have no idea. If you go post up and let us all know!!. Either way sounds like a great trip..........

Chris

chrisch:
Norway is pretty cool. Lots of wrecks and stuff. Iceland I have no idea. If you go post up and let us all know!!. Either way sounds like a great trip..........

Any recommendations for dive operators near Oslo?

I'd jump on a chance to dive in Iceland. The waters look pretty awesome plus they have great chocolate there. Norwegian wrecks sound pretty hot too though.

I haven´t been to Iceland myself but I´ve heard that its really expensive! Even compared to Norway!
Divecenters in Oslo:
www.hydra.no
http://www.prodykkoslo.no/

Both wrecks and naturedives are good in the deep Oslo-fjord...

Hope you enjoy your trip!

I haven't dived Oslo but have been a couple of times on business. Its a very nice city and has a good range of resturants etc. English is almost universally spoken and while alcohol is expensive most other things are not too bad.

Jealous.........

Chris.

pete340:
I'll be taking a business trip to Lillehammer, Norway next April. I'm considering doing some diving while I'm in the area. What's there to see in Norway? Another possibility is stopping in Iceland on the way out or back. Does anyone have any experience with The Sportdivingschool of Iceland (www.dive.is)?

I really want to go to Iceland. From what I've read and seen the viz is absolutely incredible (probably the best the world) the marine life is big and it's a real "divers" destination. So much accessible coastline to explore and so few have been there..... You could lose yourself in months of diving extacy in a place like that.....

R..

There was a good article on Iceland diving in Dive ( or possibly Diver) last month which gave a couple of contact details etc - it looked stunning.
We're considering a trip there in the next year or so camping or hostelling/diving, but perhaps taking our own compressors.
Icelandic Hotels and restaurants are expensive, but if you stay in their Hostels it is cheaper than the UK - it is worth filling the car with some tinned stuff unless you're a fan of seal/puffin meat.
There's a Smyril Line run the Norrona which runs Bergen-Lerwick-Torshavn-Iceland and offers 'package' deals for touring which are good value, which is what we're thinking to do

Never mind the wrecks, go for the scenery! -Under water as well.

You'll be staying in Lillehammer, next to Lake Mjøsa. I live in Hamar, just 45 minutes drive south. If you want to keep away from expensive professionals (They're not. Competition is huge), you can always go with any of our scuba clubs. Boats and compressors are available pretty unexpensive. Good advice is free, we'll help you to the best spots.

If you need to rent equipment, Oslo is the nearest place. On sundays diving in DRØBAKSUNDET is available with local clubs. Diving in Lake Mjøsa? Send me an email, I'll go with you. Air at my place, for free of course :)

http://mo-5.home.online.no

Reidar

EDIT: Oh, are you a dry suit diver? If not, you'll be one after Norway... :crafty:

Image10.jpg

yes Norway is cool, but iceland is world class! Thingvallir lake in iceland is my best dive ever. crystal clear water ( drinkable ). Visibility 150m plus. Imagine beeing around 35 m ( 100ft) and feeling a little thirsty, no prob, just take out your reg, and take a sip of the water!! water is quite cold though around 2 degrees C.
And YES, iceland is expensive, but worth it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom