Nose problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atilla

New
Reaction score
I got my PADI OW certification about a year ago, but I've only been diving a few times since then. Everytime I go diving I feel a little uncomfortable because I have problems flooding my mask/mask off. I get water up my nose, and it stresses me to the point that it's pretty much the only thing I think about when I'm diving. I know it's been discussed many times before, but I found this link http://www.eureka-club.org/fullPageInv.phtml?ref=935 . Apparently someone has invented a nose clip with a one way valve, so that the user is able to exhale. This sounds like the answer to my problems. Only problem is that I can't find anyone that sells these thingies. Have any of you guys heard of this before? Or know where I can get one?

Not having seen it, I would imagine that it would interfere with the proper fit of your mask. If I smile underwater my mask starts to flood. If I had sonething attached to my nose (even the regular swim nose clips) I would think my mask wouldn't properly seal.

Welcome to SB Atilla! Some water up the nose kind of goes with the territory. If it drives you completely crazy you might want to look at an FFM (full face mask)

Good Luck!

More practice! Lots more. Take snorkel, fins, mask to pool and work on it. :wink:

What DaddyDon says. With a little practice, you should get to where you can dive just fine (other than not being able to see much) without a mask at all. It just takes a little time. You have been teaching yourself not to breath underwater for many years now and it takes just a little while to learn how to do it. It may help at first to hold your nose shut. Just remember that to do so is a crutch and the goal is to learn to breath only through your mouth.

I have a purge valve on my mask and there is usually a bit of water trickling in there. It tickles and bothers me sometimes, but I blow out my nose quite a bit to clear it out. If you do not have a purge valve in your mask, of course you can't blow the water out. You might want to try out a purge mask and see if that helps because you can pretty much exhale through your nose as much as you want without fogging your mask.

I'm really bad about DeFogging poorly. Sometimes I have to let water in often to clear the fog, or just keep a bit in and roll it around, and other times I don't rinse well leaving my eyes burning - so that I have to take my mask off for a minute at 100 ft. I learned to not let this be a bother, and I've lived my life on the West Texas High Desert.

But I cheated. I learned as snorkeler, before I got into scuba. :D Can't get better practice.

IMO you need to get past this and a gadget is not the answer. It would also seem to be an impediment to performing a Valsalva maneuver to equalize your ears.

The truth of the matter is that you could have you mask dislodged at any time. Masks may leak as you laugh, cough, frown, get air in your hood or make a contortion. A wet nose from time to time is just part of the game.

Trouble starts when multiple things go wrong and letting this become a high stress situation is not a good thing to be dealing with.

Now I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong or did anything wrong. However I might say that your OW instructor did not completely guide you through your adaptation. Coming here looking for a path to comfort was a smart move.

Many aspects of diving are alien to humans. Sustained oral breathing, breathing with your face underwater and breathing when water is lapping at your nostrils are all things we have been bred and raised to interpret as alarming conditions.

Get in some safe water, like a nice warm bathtub and spend some time with a flooded mask, with no mask, all while breathing from your snorkel. Transition to a pool and eventually open water. You will be amazed how progressively challenging yourself in envionments that you are comfortale in will let you adapt.

It wasn't that long ago that I had a life long fear of opening my exposed eyes underwater. I now find it relaxing and I got there in the same way I am suggesting.

Spending some time skin-diving is also a great way to get accustomed to these sensations without the limits and risks of scuba-diving.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Pete

DandyDon:
But I cheated. I learned as snorkeler, before I got into scuba. :D Can't get better practice.

Amen, Skin-Diving the forgotten lesson.

Pete

zinnia7:
I have a purge valve on my mask and there is usually a bit of water trickling in there. It tickles and bothers me sometimes, but I blow out my nose quite a bit to clear it out. If you do not have a purge valve in your mask, of course you can't blow the water out. You might want to try out a purge mask and see if that helps because you can pretty much exhale through your nose as much as you want without fogging your mask.

I agree with you. Try the mask with the purge valve, mine does not leak but like DandyDon I sometimes fog up and have to fill my mask. I just exhale from my nose and the water is gone.

Oh, Sorry welcome to SB also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom