not a shearwater fan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no its not about comparing one for the other obviously a 1000 dollar cpu is going to do more then a 300 cpu .i dont think i will ever need the functions of a cpu like a shearwater but i have not seen any entry level or mid range that are led ,so curious what people are using other than shearwater ps i never liked APPLE products either never was a follower

You bring a good point. IMO even the entry computers can provide functions with a simple firmware update. functions like GF metrics., As I see it it should be a simple matter of saying display current GF and calculated surf GF. Its known any way even by the entry models other wise it could not do deco at all.

People who I know don’t like Shearwater go for Suunto. The Eon Core seems to be pretty popular.

I've JUST switched to shearwater, so can't comment yet, but I had an eon core for a couple of years. It was an OK computer, liked the display, didn't like the proprietary AI transmitters. And Suunto support is non-existent

You bring a good point. IMO even the entry computers can provide functions with a simple firmware update. functions like GF metrics., As I see it it should be a simple matter of saying display current GF and calculated surf GF. Its known any way even by the entry models other wise it could not do deco at all.

Entry-level computers with segmented liquid crystal displays are severely limited in what they can display where. It's a hardware limitation that can't be fixed in software update. Entry-level computers with programmable pixel displays are about one whose name I'm legally not allowed to say anymore.

For the other contenders you need to define "entry-level": is it under $200 or is it $400 and over. If it's the former than no, there isn't one with pixel-matrix display. Or at least none that I know of.

Entry-level computers with segmented liquid crystal displays are severely limited in what they can display where. It's a hardware limitation that can't be fixed in software update. Entry-level computers with programmable pixel displays are about one whose name I'm legally not allowed to say anymore.

For the other contenders you need to define "entry-level": is it under $200 or is it $400 and over. If it's the former than no, there isn't one with pixel-matrix display. Or at least none that I know of.

So you are saying that the operator can not just push a button to shift to a different screen to read a different group of data. I cant say I have ever seen a computer with only one screen display. again if you can have multi screen to set the computer up or go to a set FO2 screen you can certainly have at minimum a short term display to show more data.

So you are saying that the operator can not just push a button to shift to a different screen to read a different group of data. I cant say I have ever seen a computer with only one screen display...

Yeah, you could possibly do it that way. You'd still need your firmware in EEPROM instead of the cheaper non-rewritable PROM, you'd need enough room in there to store the extra bytes where added functionality is implemented and so on. There's no reason to not have all that in an entry-level computer designed today. The ones sold today, OTOH...

Yeah, you could possibly do it that way. You'd still need your firmware in EEPROM instead of the cheaper non-rewritable PROM, you'd need enough room in there to store the extra bytes where added functionality is implemented and so on. There's no reason to not have all that in an entry-level computer designed today. The ones sold today, OTOH...

Its just my opinion but for me it looks like if all had surf gf available they could go to SS depth and stay until gf surf drops to say 95 and head up. that may be in 1 minute or 5 minutes but it would be a period resultant to teh specific profile you done instead of an assumed one. At minimum the surf GF will say the earliest you can surface, and then if divers had a minimal grip on conservatism they can make that call at 95 or 85 or 70 as they desire.

Its just my opinion but for me it looks like if all had surf gf available they could go to SS depth and stay until gf surf drops to say 95 and head up. that may be in 1 minute or 5 minutes but it would be a period resultant to teh specific profile you done instead of an assumed one. At minimum the surf GF will say the earliest you can surface, and then if divers had a minimal grip on conservatism they can make that call at 95 or 85 or 70 as they desire.
Part of not being a Shearwater fan is not thinking that GF is a great scheme.

Following your plan hardly anyone would do a safety stop unless they had just done a pretty quick ascent or an actual deco dive.

The idea of a safety stop is to add APPARENTLY UNNECESSARY time which on average reduces bends.

Following your plan hardly anyone would do a safety stop unless they had just done a pretty quick ascent or an actual deco dive.

I think the point is you calculate your NDL off GFHi X but then at the safety stop you wait for your GF99 to drop to Y. I expect with carefully selected Y < X you can get this to keep you exactly for 3 minutes at the stop.

Now why you'd want to do that instead of just stopping for 3 minutes -- or lowering your GFHi to produce a "deco" dive with a 3-minute deco stop at 3 msw -- is another question, and I always thought GF99/SurfGF were just glitzy eye candy, but it doesn't have to eliminate the stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom