New computers announced by Shearwater and Garmin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recreational watch style dive computer (with and without AI) from Shearwater

Technical watch style dive computer from Garmin

I guess I should dive with a Tern/Teric and see if I can get over my preconception that I prefer the peregrine form factor

Surface GPS is how you don't get invited on my boat.

You don't allow Garmin and Ratio dive computers on your boat?

Do you also disallow anyone taking pictures with their smartphone? Most smartphone camera apps will store GPS coordinates in the photo image file by default.

Unless you go to extremes, I think you are fighting a losing battle.

Do you also disallow anyone taking pictures with their smartphone? Most smartphone camera apps will store GPS coordinates in the photo image file by default.

The old nautilus lifelines also captured GPS coordinates. There are cell phone apps which track your GPS coordinates. Maybe you can't take cell phones either?

also the liberty rebreather captures gps. its become more and more common for devices to have gps standard.

You are forgetting the SP HUD!!!!!!

Not mentioning Olympus TG4 & TG5 and probably a handful of other cameras often used for diving photography.

Spot theft is a losing battle, but worth a fight. I didn't spend all that time and money to bring the new guy with his GPS computer to steal my spots. I make it an issue these days and am selective who I'll bring out.

I also realize if you're not fishing this is hardly a concern so most divers on this site don't get it.

Good (&logical) move of Shearwater... A recreational version of the Teric for almost half the price.
I'm diving the Teric happily over 5 years without any issues.
The main difference: Garmin makes smartwatches with dive computer function, Shearwater makes (really good) dive computers. But I do wished that the Teric & Tern would have some simple watch functionality like a contentious-on option in watch mode or nightstand mode when in the charging cradle.

Back
Top Bottom