New computers announced by Shearwater and Garmin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also realize if you're not fishing this is hardly a concern so most divers on this site don't get it.

Most of us get it, we just don’t care. Yours is not the boat we’d be on anyway.

Surface GPS is how you don't get invited on my boat.
Alright, I guess you're talking about fishing spots, this I can understand. However, when it comes to diving, secret coordinates might not be beneficial. There are instances of salvaging secret or protected wreck sites, also I've heard from a dive site explorer that he tries to keep good locations under wraps for as long as possible, although it often doesn't stay a secret for too long. On the flip side, the more people who dive a site, the better the chances of keeping fishers at bay and eventually getting a site protected.

1700047053573.png

Alright, I guess you're talking about fishing spots, this I can understand. However, when it comes to diving, secret coordinates might not be beneficial.
He's talking about diving sites. Diving sites that hold fish. Some of us fish while diving.
On the flip side, the more people who dive a site, the better the chances of keeping fishers at bay and eventually getting a site protected.
Sheesh. So I guess the ocean belongs to a select group.

Around here it's those that have fishing licenses that fund conservation efforts. Divers without a fishing license don't fund any of these efforts unless they donate privately.

It's extremely difficult these days to protect GPS coordinates of sites. Even without DCs with GPS capabilities, other methods have existed for quite a while. Downloading a dive from a DC to a smartphone app often gives the chance to snag the coordinates. It is a losing fight for sure. I'm selective about who I bring on my boat. Haven't really had an issue with people stealing spots. If I were to find a buddy at one of the spots I've taken them to, might be the last time they go on my boat. On the other hand, if I know the person is an occasional user, I probably would share the spot if they asked.

He's talking about diving sites. Diving sites that hold fish. Some of us fish while diving.

Sheesh. So I guess the ocean belongs to a select group.

Around here it's those that have fishing licenses that fund conservation efforts. Divers without a fishing license don't fund any of these efforts unless they donate privately.

It's extremely difficult these days to protect GPS coordinates of sites. Even without DCs with GPS capabilities, other methods have existed for quite a while. Downloading a dive from a DC to a smartphone app often gives the chance to snag the coordinates. It is a losing fight for sure. I'm selective about who I bring on my boat. Haven't really had an issue with people stealing spots. If I were to find a buddy at one of the spots I've taken them to, might be the last time they go on my boat. On the other hand, if I know the person is an occasional user, I probably would share the spot if they asked.

The coral kickers will kill a reef spot in no time flat. Scuba divers are some of the worst environmental offenders out there. From working over a reef twice daily to flying half way around the world to take a picture of fish...

Anyway, definitely hard to keep any spot away from the rest of the stakeholders. Between cell phones, modern MFDs and Radar, to scuba computers, nothing is safe.

I like diving during the week, fewer people on the water. I look forward to when my kids are old enough and my crew will be family.

Confidential pictures have leaked, but I can’t confirm their authenticity. At first glance it appears the animated interface is intended for recreational divers (and individuals intimidated by numbers). It’s my understanding the unicorn becomes very angry if the computer goes into deco. This is an interesting concept, but I’ll stick with my Teric.

CC153F42-77C7-4051-81C7-888A272E1431.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom