not a shearwater fan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As possibly the most outspoken Non Shearwater person here...

My preference is the Eon Steel. I do have a Perdix, I brought it to see what all the fuss was about, and because it was advantageous to plan Buhlmann. I don't' love my Perdix, I've written before about the reasons I prefer the Eon. But basically the interface isn't' as nice as the Eon. I say that after 150 dives on teh Perdix so it's not a knee jerk reaction

I'm not saying it's bad - but equally the fanboyz who claim it's The only computer etc etc are talking nonsense. A lot comes down to personal preferences and experiences. Suunto have been great at resolving my one problem in 700 dives. I know of 5 other Eon users that have near similar usage and they've not had a single issue. My rechargeable Battery is still going strong 4 years later and when it finally has a poor storage (currently 32hrs on a full charge) I'll consider whether to repair or replace - I'm guessing by that time it'll have done 1000 dives so won't owe me anything

Who knows what shearwater have up their sleeve perhaps (and I hope) they'll launch a Perdix size computer with a Teric screen and have similar customisable pages as the Eon - I'd certain give it a look and a try.

And for those that say, buy a Shearwater and it'll be the only computer you'll ever need - I heard that with the Petral, and then watched as users moved from that to the Perdix, then to the Perdix AI and finally jumped onto the Teric *snort*

And for those that say, buy a Shearwater and it'll be the only computer you'll ever need - I heard that with the Petral, and then watched as users moved from that to the Perdix, then to the Perdix AI and finally jumped onto the Teric *snort*

That's kind of a silly assessment. You do realize that the reason people continue to buy is to "upgrade". Not that the first computer wasn't satisfactory. I had a predator and still use it. I bought a petrel as the backup to my predator. Never bought a perdix because the only difference was size which wasn't a big enough issue since the difference in size between the two is minimal. I recently bought a teric because I like the small form factor. I'm diving a rebreather with a petrel as my p02 monitor and didn't really see a need for a larger computer like a petrel as the backup since the backup will rarely be used except for emergencies. Having a smaller form factor is nice since it's something that just sits in the background. But the statement that it's the only computer you need is accurate. People don't upgrade because they need to. They do it because they want to. I'd be fine with an iphone5, but I have the newest one because I like it better and see it as an unnecessary upgrade.

I'm surprised you found the menus on the petrel not intuitive. I think they're dead simple compared to any other computer I've used. I like my teric for form factor and the screen, but I honestly wouldn't use it as my primary. I find the buttons less user friendly than the bigger computers, I find the screens less intuitive and a little more annoying to navigate, and I wish they stuck with a 2 button configuration instead of 4.

As possibly the most outspoken Non Shearwater person here...

My preference is the Eon Steel. I do have a Perdix, I brought it to see what all the fuss was about, and because it was advantageous to plan Buhlmann. I don't' love my Perdix, I've written before about the reasons I prefer the Eon. But basically the interface isn't' as nice as the Eon. I say that after 150 dives on teh Perdix so it's not a knee jerk reaction

I'm not saying it's bad - but equally the fanboyz who claim it's The only computer etc etc are talking nonsense. A lot comes down to personal preferences and experiences. Suunto have been great at resolving my one problem in 700 dives. I know of 5 other Eon users that have near similar usage and they've not had a single issue. My rechargeable Battery is still going strong 4 years later and when it finally has a poor storage (currently 32hrs on a full charge) I'll consider whether to repair or replace - I'm guessing by that time it'll have done 1000 dives so won't owe me anything

Who knows what shearwater have up their sleeve perhaps (and I hope) they'll launch a Perdix size computer with a Teric screen and have similar customisable pages as the Eon - I'd certain give it a look and a try.

dont hold back lol but thats the debate i like to hear .im not saying they are bad i dont own one but just like apple products there are other things out there that are just as good if not better and for a lower price

is there anyone not a shearwater fan and if the case what do they like instead

Reminds me of the old Far Side cartoon where there was an international organization called DLDWWS (Didn't Like Dances With Wolves Society). There were three people in attendance.

Reminds me of the old Far Side cartoon where there was an international organization called DLDWWS (Didn't Like Dances With Wolves Society). There were three people in attendance.
i was one of them lol no wait that was the game of thrones

dont hold back lol but thats the debate i like to hear .im not saying they are bad i dont own one but just like apple products there are other things out there that are just as good if not better and for a lower price

Ahh, an adroid person. Don't worry, we won't judge you too much

That's kind of a silly assessment. You do realize that the reason people continue to buy is to "upgrade". Not that the first computer wasn't satisfactory. I had a predator and still use it. I bought a petrel as the backup to my predator.
I was being sarcastic - but it is a phrase often rolled out!

I would be the last to criticize someone for choosing to upgrade - I've just pushed my "I Want button" by choosing to throw a bag full of money at Bonex for 2 Reference RS DPV's - even though I have 2 Dive X Sierra which work fine

I'm surprised you found the menus on the petrel not intuitive. I think they're dead simple compared to any other computer I've used. I like my teric for form factor and the screen, but I honestly wouldn't use it as my primary. I find the buttons less user friendly than the bigger computers, I find the screens less intuitive and a little more annoying to navigate, and I wish they stuck with a 2 button configuration instead of 4.

I don't like them as much as I do on the Eon Personal preference, just as I prefer the 3 button interface to the 2 button. I think the menu and screens on the Perdix could just be way better. The Teric is somewhat nicer but I didn't' need that form factor. I've been using the OSTC Plus for 50 or so dives (on loan), and I much prefer that to the Perdix. However support is very Germanic. I've seriously wanted to buy the OSTC 4 but not willing to splash the cash until I've held one in my hand which has proved near impossible unless I travel to the right dive show in Europe

dont hold back lol but thats the debate i like to hear

I wouldn't' say the Shearwater is bad at all. It's not. If you live in teh US or Can then you benefit from easy access via shipping to the manufacturer. The rest of us have to (or should) go via a recognized third party agent for repairs - unless SW have changed that.

Also in the US the Perdix is cheaper than the Eon it used to be by a wide margin - In Europe that's not the case (about the same price) so how much you spend can be of influence. In the US you can't have OSTC - in Europe its a big brand. Basically more choice for similar cash

I've also had the opportunity to actually dive a lot with the options so my opinions are based upon that some others write opinions on gear they've never dived or gained from hearsay

The Eon is far from perfect but overall I find it the better computer (apart from weight) If teh new Firmware includes the promised Buhlmann algorithm for the Eon (Steel only) I'll be even happier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom