not enough weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Blues

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is my pany ZS3 rig with single strobe, no weights, causing me to be more buoyant.?
When I dive without camera I'm only using 10 lbs, for neutral buoyancy, but when
I'm shooting video I require much more weight. The camera feels heavy enough to sink on it's own.
Just wondering if others experience this? thanks for all replies

You would soon know if it was actually making you more buoyant, a positively buoyant rig is positively painful to use because it wants to float up all the time. You should be able to tell if you are diving with it - it will either hang from the lanyard or floats towards the surface. If it hangs from the lanyard it can't make you more buoyant.

Likely causes? could be that you are under-weighted but compensating for it some how, but when you are concentrating on your camera you suddenly float because you stop what you were doing before or it could be a trim problem made worse by the camera or perhaps you are holding your breath while concentrating - but it's hard to see how any of that that could be more than a pound or two of lead.

I would think you would need to be particularly stable when shooting video to avoid it bouncing all over the place and you find this easier with more weight on board?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom