Not Feeling Well? New Hand signal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I didn't get the memo, but when has the original "something is wrong" signal been canceled?

How does "I don't feel well" provide any additional information to "something is wrong"?
It's not like you're going to receive medical treatment from your buddy underwater, the reaction will always be to end the dive.

On top of that, you have to be in an upright position for your buddy to be able to see the signal. If you're going through a wreck, a swmithrough or any other restricted space, "something is wrong" is much easier to signal.

This new signal is redundant and confusing. Keep communication underwater simple and straight to the point, you can discuss your bowel movements once you're safe on the boat.

and the replies on this thread are exactly why I haven't been on SB in YEARS. You can disagree without being disagreeable. "this is stupid" "why do we need a new signal" blah blah blah... my buddy and I were ascending the Olson line at Peacock last weekend, the viz wasn't that great. Upon the ascent, I thought they hit their head but they were trying to tell me they felt sick to their stomach all of a sudden and wanted to pause due to feeling nauseous. we were exiting anyway so no need to thumb the dive. Since I was thinking they hit their head and felt like they were going to pass out, I was also thinking we should move expeditiously to the surface and not pause. I had read about this signal maybe on facebook but didn't think to discuss it with said buddy. Had we discussed this previously, I could have been advised that they were nauseous instead of trying to prod them to ascend to prevent passing out underwater. 🤔
Think I'll take another hiatus, a permanent one this time. ugh

and the replies on this thread are exactly why I haven't been on SB in YEARS. You can disagree without being disagreeable. "this is stupid" "why do we need a new signal" blah blah blah... my buddy and I were ascending the Olson line at Peacock last weekend, the viz wasn't that great. Upon the ascent, I thought they hit their head but they were trying to tell me they felt sick to their stomach all of a sudden and wanted to pause due to feeling nauseous. we were exiting anyway so no need to thumb the dive. Since I was thinking they hit their head and felt like they were going to pass out, I was also thinking we should move expeditiously to the surface and not pause. I had read about this signal maybe on facebook but didn't think to discuss it with said buddy. Had we discussed this previously, I could have been advised that they were nauseous instead of trying to prod them to ascend to prevent passing out underwater. 🤔
They should have used the "stop" signal. An "I'm feeling nauseous" signal wouldn't tell you anything useful in this situation.

They should have used the "stop" signal.
Yep. I've been in this exact situation of nausea on ascent. I gave the hold sign, buddy returned it and patiently waited eyes on me for potential assistance. I then gave the "something's wrong" waggle and deliberately tapped my belly 2x to elaborate. After about a minute, it subsided, at which time I pointed to myself, gave the OK, and then the thumb. Buddy knew exactly what I meant at all times.

Yep. I've been in this exact situation of nausea on ascent. I gave the hold sign, buddy returned it and patiently waited eyes on me for potential assistance. I then gave the "something's wrong" waggle and deliberately tapped my belly 2x to elaborate. After about a minute, it subsided, at which time I pointed to myself, gave the OK, and then the thumb. Buddy knew exactly what I meant.
That's exactly what I was thinking I'd do in this situation.

In general, if you are communicating something urgent or important you want to give an unambiguous command first and then follow up with the explanation.

Works with kids and - if I may speak for the husbands - us too. Actually it works way better than dropping subtle hints and then getting upset when we miss them. :)

The signal would not help in your case.

It would not tell whether he banged his head or whether he was nauseous.

As a PADI OW diver certified in 2016, who then dove three times in Grenada and not since, I have a couple quick thoughts:

Firstly, my GF (who is doing e-learning for PADI OW) certainly did not try to commit to memory the current list of ~25 signals PADI OW course lists. I can’t see how new divers should be expected to remember yet another signal.

Second, with my limited experience, if I was sick and wanted to end the dive, I just signal “not okay” then “end the dive”. Or just “end the dive” because even after these years, I remember that “end the dive” is not a request, and if your buddy signals it, you end the dive and accompany your buddy to the surface, no questions asked.

As an aside on the signals, I remember either my instructor, or his divemaster (who was a semi-retired guy I worked with) told me something to the effect of “this is the OOO symbol, I have to teach it, but in all honesty you’ll never see it out of training. If someone is legitimately out of air, they will either likely give you the ‘choking’ symbol that everyone knows means can’t breathe outside of diving, or more likely will be swimming towards you and grabbing one of your regulators or bolting to the surface.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom