Not going by feel - how, then? Tips? Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many (experienced) divers are lax in this area and it creates a major risk factor.

Yup. I still can't help being a bit shocked at how many experienced divers who don't perform a good pre-dive check. I hope I'll still be doing mine when I log my dive #1000.

---------- Post added November 4th, 2014 at 10:04 PM ----------

Storker, Imla was pulling your leg since he's down in Oslo, tongue in cheek mate, laugh with him....

I know that and I got it, I guess deadpan doesn't translate too well to written format. And I'm pretty certain that Imla is a 'she' :wink:

Last edited:
R, SPG clipped to the right shoulder not the left. Clipping to the right doesn't interfere with stages as it just crosses over and follows the same path as your drysuit. Another option is a nice little trick that Jim Wyatt showed me a while back and that is to run the SPG on a really short hose and have it inside of the corrugated hose on your inflator. Follows the inflator straight down and you don't have to deal with clips. Works really well.

I've seen this in photos but I haven't tried it.

I also haven't tried the spg on the right. I don't have an inflator on the right to attach it to. When I'm carrying multiple stages I don't carry them DIR style either so seems we're working from different paradigms.

[/QUOTE]

R..

sorry wasn't paying attention, have a cousin in Oslo who is Imla, so that should have registered. My apologies!

One of the prechecks that I do is the positive pressure wing test, required in the CCR camp, but it is just inflating the wing all the way while you're getting your gear together making sure it doesn't leak, super simple, but really important.

Edit:
R, for the inflator on the right it comes down on the left like normal but crosses the body to the right side. It's more common for consoles than it is for SPG's obviously, in this type of situation it would work quite well. Coming down the inflator hose is actually super convenient for most types of diving and I really do prefer it over going down and coming back up.

sorry wasn't paying attention, have a cousin in Oslo who is Imla, so that should have registered. My apologies!

One of the prechecks that I do is the positive pressure wing test, required in the CCR camp, but it is just inflating the wing all the way while you're getting your gear together making sure it doesn't leak, super simple, but really important.

Edit:
R, for the inflator on the right it comes down on the left like normal but crosses the body to the right side. It's more common for consoles than it is for SPG's obviously, in this type of situation it would work quite well. Coming down the inflator hose is actually super convenient for most types of diving and I really do prefer it over going down and coming back up.

I'd say essential. The most over-looked safety check imo.

Yeah, I've been meaning to try this routing. I'll defer to your experience at this point.

R..

Coming down the inflator hose is actually super convenient for most types of diving and I really do prefer it over going down and coming back up.

The SPG clipped to the chest D-ring is probably a no-go for me. I'm getting rather presbyopic these days (+2 from my distance vision), so even my backup PDC - a Suunto Stinger on my wrist - is a bit of a pain to read. Even with progressive contacts; in low light I struggle to see close even if the prescription is as correct as techically possible (I'm also somewhat astigmatic, and they don't make progressives with astigmatism correction). Besides, I clip my camera rig to my right chest D-ring...

The SPG clipped to the chest D-ring is probably a no-go for me. I'm getting rather presbyopic these days (+2 from my distance vision), so even my backup PDC - a Suunto Stinger on my wrist - is a bit of a pain to read. Even with progressive contacts; in low light I struggle to see close even if the prescription is as correct as techically possible (I'm also somewhat astigmatic, and they don't make progressives with astigmatism correction). Besides, I clip my camera rig to my right chest D-ring...

I have the same problem. If you're +2 then put +3 (or 2,5) in your mask

Water magnifies. You need compensate for everything looking closer. If you're +2 and you put +2 in your mask then everything is going to look blurry.

R..

I know that and I got it, I guess deadpan doesn't translate too well to written format. And I'm pretty certain that Imla is a 'she' :wink:

I am sorry... Yes.. it is basics... but my apologies... I must admit that taking into consideration that you actually dive in close vicinity to where Hell freezes over, you are slightly above average in diving :wink: My dexterityproblem with drygloves went away when I found the correct size (And they do feel way too small on land). Before that the tip of the finger would always get stuck in my boltsnaps.

(Oh.. and yes... Imla is most definitively a she... :wink:

I use a D-ring extender to keep things within my line of sight: It's a snap bolt on a 6" length of webbing with a large brass ring on the other side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom