Not having fun in my class, having trouble keeping up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfgirl,

I'll echo the comments above about getting a prescription mask. If your prescription is not super strong or out of the ordinary, you may be able to buy "pop-in" lenses. These are available for many mask models and do not have to be special ordered -- many shops have them on hand and can pop them in within minutes.

Good luck.

Well, much better news to report! Thank you all for the great advice. I am very glad I wrote to the board about this and got a bunch of opinions. I decided to go to the shop and talk to whoever was there about my problem. The owner wasn't there, but the store manager was. I told him what the issue was, and interestingly, he confided that his wife had taken a course from this same instructor and hadn't been too happy with him either. He told me my best option was to jump into another class the next day that was an "accelerated" class a tiny bit behind where I was. The manager offered to call my other instructor and explain the situation to him for me. The only downside is he told me I'd have to pay the $100 instructor fee to the new guy as well as the old one who I'd already paid. I was willing to do that to not have to go through an experience that would turn me off of scuba.

I jumped into the class and it was MUCH better. Even the students were better! I don't think I realized how much I disliked the first instructor's style until I got a chance to see something else. I also found out many other "little" things the first guy hadn't done (e.g., he hadn't ever had us take out our log books and thus hadn't signed off on anything I'd done!) This guy was nice, a good teacher, and made sure everyone was with him before he went on to the next thing.

When we went to the pool in the afternoon, I couldn't believe it- he had 4 divemasters with him!! I think the way they do classes there they have no required number of DMs (the other class only had 1-2 and they weren't too experienced). I commented on this to one of the DMs because since there were only 8-9 people in the class, EVERY buddy team had a DM or the instructor with them the entire time. It was great! The DM said something like "a lot of DMs like to work with this instructor, so he always has several in his classes." That says a lot to me. Also, I got all of my questions answered and wasn't made to feel stupid or like I was lagging behind. Actually, I was ahead in some things because I'd already done them, but it was good to have the extra practice. Then I heard the dreaded command to "take off your mask and swim across the pool without it and then put it back on under water." I was hoping they'd have already done this skill, but no such luck. But I did it! And I didn't breathe water or panic. Hopefully I won't ever have to do that in the ocean. I do have disposable contacts, so it's not the end of the world if I lose one or both; I'd just rather not, since I don't see too well. (I know about prescription masks, btw, but if I lose my mask, it's the same problem. Anyway, one of these days I'll probably get lasik and then it will be a moot point.)

The only negative was that one of the DMs had also been in the original class with me and wanted to interrogate me on why I'd switched classes. He obviously thought the other guy was great. I was as polite as I could be, but had to get more and more vocal about it because he was just not getting the message. It was kind of uncomfortable. Also, the first instructor has left a message at home for me to call him and tell him why I wanted to do extra pool sessions. He didn't seem to realize that I wasn't just doing another session with another class, but that I was not coming back to his. I think he's so full of himself that he's in denial. He did mention that if I had a problem with him that he wanted to know about it. Then mentioned that I should know I have to pay the new guy the $100 because "we just don't [switch classes like that]". As if it were a bad thing I was doing. I guess I'll call him, but I really have no desire to talk to him. I know it's good to give feedback, but I don't think he'll really hear it.

So, I can't say that I feel completely ready to take on the cold waters of Monterey (I'm starting to think that maybe you just feel more comfortable as you dive more), but I certainly feel a lot better about my gear and my skills and this teacher.

So, thanks everyone for your feedback and advice-- I really appreciate it!

wolfgirl

PS, no, I'm not covered in hair and I don't howl at the moon. :)

Well that sounds MUCH better than before. I'm very happy things are working out. It sounds as though you will be a much better diver than you would have if you hadn't switched.

I don't like the $100.00 fee, but I guess this is to the Instructor, rather than the shop. I just don't understand how these guys work.

In my shop we teach computer networking. One of our selling points is that a student can audit any class they take for up to one year afterwards. I'd like to see the dive industry do something like that.

Well let us know when you get that C card!

Strange about the extra fee. But I think DiverInAK might be correct. We don't do it at our shop.

Sounds like the instructor "might" be just trying to rack up certifications for advancement in the PADI system. We have one like that, and you know it's strange, with his teaching style not too many people want to train with him.

Great to hear things are happening for the better for you. Keep it up, you'll have fun. Let us know how you do.

Can't be that cold in the bay -- or is your water hard like the water around here? (Ottawa,Canada)

>Can't be that cold in the bay -- or is your water hard >like the water around here? (Ottawa,Canada)

Well I'm not sure what you mean by "hard", but there is a myth around the world that the Pacific off the coast of California is warm... I'm here to tell you as a San Francisco-area native that you consider yourself lucky if you go completely numb within a few minutes of being in one of the bays or the ocean out here (this is without a wet suit, of course). I was able to stand that as a little kid, but now... I heard it was about 51F last weekend at Monterey. Probably not as cold as Canada, but cold enough to be considered "COLD" by me.

Originally posted by wolfgirl
>...I'm not sure what you mean by "hard", but there is a myth around the world that the Pacific off the coast of California is warm... I heard it was about 51F last weekend at Monterey. Probably not as cold as Canada, but cold enough to be considered "COLD" by me.

Hard -- water in the frozen state is hard, as in ice. <he-he-he> Well cold, let's see a friend went diving last weekend (note I said he went diving) and reported a balmy 37F. I think he's nuts! 51F average temp here in April, and then again in October (I'm talking about diving in the St Lawrence). Hey it warms up to a high of, oh around 72F. Now that's shortie water! Honest.

Was out your way (well in San Diego) last August and shocked the heck out of some of the divers I was with on a charter. Went diving with a 3/2mm, no hood. Thought it was great (water temp high 60s) -- they thought I was nuts, this as they suited up in dry suits and thick wet suits. When I said I was from Canada, they just sort of nodded their heads.

(FYI: approx conversions 37F=3C, 51F=11C, 69F=21F) 3/2mm=0.1inch)

Congatulations Wolfgirl,
Both on your certification and for standing up for yourself.
Unfortunately even the dive industry has its share of losers and it was your misfortune to find one of those.Don't worry,there's alot of nice guys and dolls in the industry who like new divers and love sharing their sport.There's heaps of them on this site.I guess that a person can be qualified and not naturally a teacher.
Please accept our apology on behalf of the dive industry and WELCOME TO THE MOST FUNNEST THING YOU CAN DO !!!!!
(aside from you know what....hehe)
Chow.....frisco girl....

Wolfgirl I wish I had read your post earlier I'm a Divemaster and I can tell that your Instructor should understand what it is to be a newbie I wish you would have asked the Divemaster for help that's what we are there for many times I worked with studends ONE ON ONE as far as the mask goes get prescription lenses it cost about $100.00 but it is worth every penney just remember this is the hard part the training once you get it the water you will soon be like a fish the 1st. time you go into the ocean or quarry you will be a little scared and nervous but soon you will be like this is greattttt and it is. If you every have any questions always ask never stay quite I still ask questions you can never know to much and you really should do an advanced class when you can you can only get better. Good Luck,Sealord

I wouldn't even call the first instuctor back. He'll eventually learn from the dive shop that you are in another class. Let it go. That call will just put you in another awkward circumstance. And screw the interrogating DM. It's your money, and you'll go with whom you're comfortable, and that's it. You don't have to justify yourself to either of them. If enough people switch out of that class it will be understood where the problem is. Now go dive with your boyfriend and have fun.

Wolfgirl you're a better diver already than you think you are. why do I say this. Because you are using your brain. You are thinking through your problems and you're making decisions. You re asking for help. all good signs of a good diver! A good diver is always learning. you haven't had the best experience with your first insttructor but you've learned there are good and bad ones. Put the experience behind you and get out there and go diving. Practice the skills that you feel the least comfortable with, on your own (with your buddy!) when your at the end of your dive. For example at the end of a dive, in shallow water, calm conditions, tell your buddy you are going to swim without your mask for 1 minute and have them swim next to you. Any skills that you did in class and at open water that ,in the back of your mind you said" I hope I never have to do that again" do it again, but on your own with your buddy, no one watching just you and your buddy practicing. Soon all the skills,that you were nervous about, in the back of your mind, will be second nature. Dive Safe-Dive Alot-M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom