"Not just a dust cap" cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've had one of these on a mk10 down to 7 bar without water ingress using the attached style of dust cap.

My regs get vigorous submerged rinsing and a soak after every dive. It's becoming common knowledge online dust caps aren't designed to be water proof. Some apparently are or at least can be water proof.

What am I missing?

Regards,
Cameron

. .. Accidentally depress the purge on the second stage while submerged and all bets are off. But I've yet to do that.

Attachments

• 20171203_152223.jpg
    20171203_152223.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 242
I've had one of these on a mk10 down to 7 bar without water ingress using the attached style of dust cap.

My regs get vigorous submerged rinsing and a soak after every dive. It's becoming common knowledge online dust caps aren't designed to be water proof. Some apparently are or at least can be water proof.

What am I missing?

Regards,
Cameron

. .. Accidentally depress the purge on the second stage while submerged and all bets are off. But I've yet to do that.

I'd love to get some of those if I knew where from.

How did you know it was 7 bar? Did you take a reg down to 200+ feet without a tank? Did you put it in a pressure can?

+1 to @BurhanMuntasser 's comment
I have a few on my old regs. Some have a groove for an o-ring; some don't.
Anyone know where they can be purchased new?
If @northernone is right, this would obviate my worrying when I dunk my Atomics: their second stage valve is open due to the seat-saver feature. So I usually keep the first up on the sink when I dunk the second, and then blast out the hose by hooking it up to a tank after soaking. It would be nice to dunk it all in the sink, and rely on ~1 atm pressure to keep the little bit of water in the hose from tracking all the way up to the first stage.

I'd love to get some of those if I knew where from.

I'm on constant watch. Haven't found a source besides for random junk sales on old regs, not even an old new stock source. They also have the added benefit of housing a save-a-dive yoke oring.

I suppose if we had a bunch of people wanting them we could get a small production run of them done.

@rsingler that 7bar test happened by my miscount. Showed up at the dive site with 4 tanks and 5 regs. The environment wasn't encouraging to leaving one on the shore. So it clipped it off and dove it tankless to the neighbour of 220fsw. A little embarrassing to demonstrate my inability to count regs successful in the same sentence as recounting a deco dive.

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited:
Well, shoot! Your post got me looking again, and here it is!

O-Ring Seal Dust Cap - Yoke $4

Sounds like I need to place an order! 7 bar, wow!
But yes...maybe we'll take a third diver along when we do some deco...just to count. :wink:

Last edited:
Well, shoot! Your post got me looking again, and here it is!

O-Ring Seal Dust Cap - Yoke $4

So tell me more about this 7 bar thing? Should I really order some of these?

I love you!

Hah. Well, I'm almost that enthusiastic at your find.

I'm about to head out on a dive. I'll bring a spare reg along capped off today to confirm it wasn't a fluke. Won't be deep as I'm doing an evening photography dive but might get 40ft for 3hrs if we're lucky.

... I'd hold off on ordering based on my reasoning until we hear a few horror stories how the idea can destroy a reg.

Cheers,
Cameron

I
... I'd hold off on ordering based on my reasoning until we hear a few horror stories how the idea can destroy a reg.

Cheers,
Cameron
Can't help you with a horror story, but I used that kind of dust cap for years on my gear with nary a drop of water in the first stage. I'm all DIN now, and I'm not nearly as anal about water in my regs (titanium), but I will tell you that they don't work a lick if the o-ring falls out.

Can't help you with a horror story, but I used that kind of dust cap for years on my gear with nary a drop of water in the first stage. I'm all DIN now, and I'm not nearly as anal about water in my regs (titanium), but I will tell you that they don't work a lick if the o-ring falls out.

Now that's a word to the wise!

Back
Top Bottom