"Not just a dust cap" cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are so many reasons to love ScubaBoard. <3

I'm in awe guys. The knowledge base we have is phenomenal. Love the stopper idea.

Haven't had good luck with the balls, they aged and cracked.

Just had the bare mk5 and witch's hat down to 145fsw just now. Dry interior after 128 minutes. I'll consider the octopus photos a bonus.

A light blow dry with compressed air before capping is my standard as to not trap in moisture. Thankfully I'm rarely on dive boats to annoy those nearby.

Last edited:
I personally didn’t like any of the solid rubber stoppers because they seem to take a set and I just didn’t trust them when they got too deformed.

Underwater Kinetics made an exceptional injection-molded solid stopper from a resilient material that held up really well, in fact I still use them. The advantage over rigid plastic caps with an O-ring is there was no cavity that you needed to blow-dry before putting on the regulator. I don't think they have been made since the 1990s. The right material matters.

Underwater Kinetics made an exceptional injection-molded solid stopper from a resilient material that held up really well, in fact I still use them. The advantage over rigid plastic caps with an O-ring is there was no cavity that you needed to blow-dry before putting on the regulator. I don't think they have been made since the 1990s. The right material matters.

I agree.

Interesting thread, however, am I right to assume that o ring equipped dust caps might not be necessary with DIN screw on dust caps?
Cause there is already an o ring on the DIN reg itself that would keep water out once screwed tight into the dust cap.

Interesting thread, however, am I right to assume that o ring equipped dust caps might not be necessary with DIN screw on dust caps?
Cause there is already an o ring on the DIN reg itself that would keep water out once screwed tight into the dust cap.

Correct. This style is used for yoke regs. Not DIN.

Aqua Lung has the ACD feature on the first stage. Basically, when unpressurized, it closes and seals off the 1st stage but not sure how good that is at actually keeping water out. I guess you’d need an o-ring to really keep it out....

@rsingger

Sam, you ARE a legend.
These are a heck of a lot cheaper than $3 each!

Amazon. A pound of #4 stoppers for $10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not a legend ... just a lousy antique diver with a memory

Be certain you check the OD of the stoppers ..Both # 3 & # 4
Also check the ID of the regulator yoke so the stoppers will fit,

Use a 1/4 inch drill to make a horizontal hole through the stopper

Thread a line through the hole and fasten to regulator yoke

Complete !

SAM Miller, 111

Back
Top Bottom