Not sure where to go diving with the family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Longimanus1975

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I know its a long time away, but I am starting to think about a holiday in 2013, but really not sure where to go.

I will be taking my family with me, 2 sons who will be 2 and 4 at the time and my wife of course.

I want to be able to keep everyone happy, so will need something for all to do, althought the wife will just want sun!!!!

I have dived in Thailand, Maldives and Egypt, I really like the big stuff, sharks, Mantas etc.

There is such a wide variety of places to go and wanted peoples thoughts/advice where to go with the children. It doesnt have to be a whole weeks holiday (Probably wont get away with that) but somewhere that I can add on to a trip that we do for about 4 days.

I have looked at Borneo, we could all go and see the orangutangs and then do a bit of diving or maybe a trip to the maldives with a stop in Dubai, really dont know, but at least I am giving myself enough time to save:)

I think the Maldives could be good choice if you like BIG Stuff.
If you choose to go on an island would the best. As your children will be too young to be on a live-aboard.
Being on an island gives you the choice to make 2 dives a day at least plus a night dive once or twice a week (some cases more :) )
Island gives your wife all the SUN she wants,maybe spa. Plus plenty of fun for your KIDS.

So many islands to choose from, according to your Budget.

Cheers

@sea

Small children and diving just do not mix.
Bali in Aug/Sep for Mola Mola. The beaches need no introduction.
Current can be pretty strong.
The orangutan will definitely keep the boys excited. And if the timing is right then watching Green turtle coming ashore to lay eggs is pretty amazing. They tend to do it at wee hours though.

Cheers all

I was not expecting to do a liveaboard, just a beach holiday with the option of some diving. I really enjoyed the Maldives so this maybe the best options, just will need to try and find the islands right next to the channel we patrolled on the liveaboard I did this year looking for the whalesharks as that was amazing.

I will look into Bali as that was something that I didnt look at

thanks all

If you are looking for whale-shark Ari-Atoll South and Baa Atoll are the best options.

Some resorts near Ari-Atoll whale-Shark area are Holiday Island Resort, Sun Island, Ari Beach (Ari beach has a new name now)

Baa Atoll could be interesting too.
But you have to be there during the whale-shark season.
Only place I could recommend from Baa atoll would be Reethi Beach.

Just make sure you find out from the dive centers when could be the best time to visit them in terms of diving and your taste.

Good luck and have a great one.

Cheers

@sea

Hey!

Ever considered the Philippines? It has a real mix of awesome diving - macro and pelagic. Malapascua (for thresher sharks) , Moalboal (awesome sardines), Coron (wrecks), Puerto Galera (lots of stuff and macro), Dauin (macro), Apo Island (endless corals) - that is to name only a few. Two flights from the UK away.

Dauin in particular has a great mix of diving - macro (some of the best in the world) and Apo - a stunning atoll with over 350 species of coral. True, we don't get huge stuff (maybe the passing whale shark if you are very lucky :wink:) but it is a beautiful place to dive with fantastic wall dives and countless turtles. On Negros there are loads of outdoor adventure opportunities including dolphin watching at Bais (an AWESOME trip), waterfalls, canyons, volcanoes etc.

Good luck with your planning! Any questions on the Philippines, or the Dauin area, I'll try and do my best to help!

Emma

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for the reply

I will look into the Maldives places to see where they are, much appreciated for the info.

I will also have a look at the Phillipines, there is so much to look at though, I will look at some of the suggestions above.

I have been looking into Bali a bit since the last post and it seems reasonably priced and the diving looks good, Mantas and Mola Mola! Gonna look into where we need to change flight and possibly stop on the way there.

Just got to convince the missus where to go now:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom