'nother new gal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holly sheldon

Registered
Reaction score
Impressed by the speed of help from this site... Thought Id be brave and do the formal hello thing rather than hiding behind my recent tech. questions...

so, hello to all, you seem a friendly lot! Never done an internet 'forum' thing and i have to admit its slightly unerving... the world becoming suddenly so small and all....

Just a bit about me then... currently working on a scientific research diving project monitoring our only statutory 'no take zone' here in the UK (Lundy Island). And in between that im delivering letters to the happy people of Falmouth.

Hi to the other English gals who've posted recently, come dive with the basking sharks in Cornwall!

Speak to some of you soon,
Cheers, Holly

PS. appologies for the slightly posy looking photo - hardly got any digital pics!

Hi Holly and welcome to the board. The most active scuba forum I've found by the way.

What exactly does one do when studying basking sharks? Sounds interesting

mark

from Cambridge, East Anglia!! Nice that we've got some Uk girlies on here!!!:wink:

Hi Holly. Welcome to SB. Wonder if you can dress like that while you're diving the UK given the summer heat wave? A pretty strange summer.

Dr. Bill

Hello again, cheers for the welcomes!

TJisthe1 - the good 'ol basking shark (Cetorhinus maximus) is merely the second largest fish in the world! Ive attached a photo to this mail. Just for info - its a plankton feeder, mainly seen feeding at the surface on plankton blooms (hence the name). At up to about 12m in length, you can imagine its incredible to see in the water! We're really fortunate to have it here in UK waters : )
But no surprises to learn populations are threatened by shark finning - the massive dorsal fins fetch a huge amount on the shark fin soup market.

The shark trust website below has some more info - plus theyre really getting stuff done for shark conservation across the board... and always need more support!
http://www.sharktrust.org/sharkconservation.html

Bridgediver - as for research... my colleagues are currently completing their annual basking shark survey which runs from Cornwall (SW UK up to the Hebrides in Scotland). They sail transects observing and recording all marine wildlife. With the basking sharks we get video footage and photo ID their fins, to assess whether we're seeing the same sharks. We saw a couple of the same sharks again this year - ones with really unique fin shapes, which was great. There's also a guy at Plymouth uni who's satellite tagged basking sharks to discover where they go in winter and how deep.

DrBill - Yup, its been a crackin' summer in the UK... and long may it continue into September.

Fens lass- i used to live in good ole Cambridge in 91... did my a levels there and drank away my pennies in the Devonshire Arms!

holly

Welcome to the board!

I noticed your site had a link to adopt a shark. . .

I already have all the shark I can afford!! Her name is Sophie, here she is ready for a boat ride, and looking for trouble!

enjoy the board, I know do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom