'Nother question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 'Active Topics' link and the 'New Posts' link?

I assumed that 'Acrive Topics' would return a list sorted by latest activity, and 'New Posts' would return a list sorted by original post date/time, but both links seem to return the same list.

Thanks.

New Posts shows the new posts since you last logged in. There is a timeout on activity; not sure the exact number... but I'm guessing 15 minutes or so. In other words, you don't do anything for 15 minutes, you're logged out. When you hit "new posts" again, it'll be since your last point of activity before the logout. You can also log out directly with the logout link.

In other words, "New Posts" is based on -your- last login.

Active Topics is just a list of all the topics, in the same time based order, as New Posts, but instead of it being based on your last activity, it's based on the system clock. e.g. the last day of posts, last 2 days of posts, etc..

So an example would be... you're looking at the new posts, and your boss walks in. 20 minutes later they leave and you now have lost the list that you had. Active topics will give you that list sorted by time; even though it extends before your last 'logout'.

Make sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom