Nothing says welcome to Mexico like...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
being buzzed by a Great White Shark at Guadalupe Island. I just got back from a trip on the Nautilus Explorer. All I can say is look at the photos. It is a wonderful experience to see these majestic animals up close. The rules have recently changed and chumming the water with animal blood or fish oil has been outlawed. Wrangling the sharks to come close to the cages has similarly been banned. The only attractant allowed is to use a couple pieces of tuna on ropes. In the three days I was there, I never once saw the shark take the tuna (although others did), but the GWS still seemed interested in us. It is possible that they have been conditioned to be attracted by the sound of the boats, or it could be because another ship in the area was flagrantly ignoring the new regulations. Here are a few images. Click on them for more details.

Here is one in B&W

and here is one showing the baitfish scattering before the GWS

Very nice Steve!! That's the same shark (your first two photos) I photographed there a little over a year ago in September of 2007 (mangled dorsal fin, dark black spot on right side of head just alongside edge of mouth):

2145763683_873c871ac9.jpg

Yep. That is Shredder, and apparently he is a regular. It is interesting that he looks fatter in my images. Perhaps he has been eating well!

Good old Shredder!! Yes he seems to have porked up over the last year :)

PS maybe Shredder is a she?? I can't find any claspers on him/her in any of my photos.

Wonderful shots! I'm so jealous!

What an awesome experience!

My wife knows that I would love to do this someday and has often times wanted to give me a trip for Christmas or my birthday. Could I ask what costs are involved?

The black and white shot is as good a GWS portrait as I've seen (and I work daily with some pretty good stuff ... Bavendam, Nicklin, Wu,Newbert, Wilms, Minakuchi, Candisani, Parry, etc.)

I also like the B&W one! He looks FIERCE...

Back
Top Bottom