Novae Products: 12W Dive LED Cree MC-E Dive Light 900 Lumens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See post #19 above- they explain
Lumens

it would be nice to have both specs saying the same thing, i bought the light myself but at a sales advantage it would be nice to have consistent information.

But overall this is a great light compared to my 400 lumen light

so does your light have any trouble regarding flooding or having to do some modding to the light like mentioned in this post? Have you thought about selling these to dive shops for a lower price per the bulk?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/313670-recreational-dive-light-manufacturers-behind-times.html

Never had any problems with flooding.
Just make sure you check the front where you adjust the settings periodically at depth.

The only problem I had was the batteries that came with the light.
I left them in the light for a few weeks and they died....TOTALLY DEAD.......
They won't charge.....they are DEAD.
I had to go online and purchase new batteries.....the protected style.
The ones that came with the light weren't protected and I think that had alot to do with them trashing so quickly.
Keep that in mind when you order.
Buy extra batteries and buy the protected kind.

I am very interested in the light here. The only question that I can think of at this time is the capacity of the batteries that come with the light. I would need to pick up two more sets of batteries to be able to use the light in the manner that I want to. Does anyone know what the capacity of the stock batteries are?

Thanks

Dan

Dashrynn, what 400 lumen light are you comparing to the Cree MC-E? How do you describe the differences between your two lamps in terms of (1) brightness and (2) coverage area? And which seems more natural and/or convenient to carry, hold and use?

princeton tech shockwave led

the shockwave wasn't brighter than this light but this light has a redder light tint to it

the shock wave has a wider "hotspot" but very little spill compared to this light, i would guess 25 to 40% wider radius hot spot but the spill from this light is dimmer but pretty nice, and its a wide area spill not a narrow spill

so this light has a tight beam with a wide spill while the shockwave led has very little to no spill but has a wider but dimmer hot spot.

Having dove my shockwave for over 70 dives i can say i like how this light is less bulky but i would buy a hands free light holder if this was my primary (personal preference)

my opinion would be have this as a tech backup but i am not a tech diver so this is just a guess or it also makes a nice primary for the casual diver who likes a bright light but because of the run time on high, i would be conservative with this light.

I have a video of both being used underwater around 55 ft but since im at work i can't post. Look me up on youtube with the screen name "Dashrynn" the extra light in the video that pops up every once in a while, is a buddies 21w hid light.

Dashrynn, wonderful detailed commentary and outstanding video comparison and video labeling. And that bright light popping in now and then was funny.

There was a big tire in the video; it looked like a truck tire. What would you guess the size of that tire to be? It was great to use a real-world object as a point of reference. You could clearly see that the Cree MC-E had a bright hot spot AND a wide area of coverage compared to the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED.

You mentioned the Cree ME-E has a slightly "red" color in comparison to the Princeton Tec. I couldn't see the difference in the video. Is the color difference a distraction, an annoyance, or simply a noticable difference when you are underwater?

Dashrynn, thank you for the commentary and video. Enjoy your new toy!

the truck tire was actually a tractor tire i do believe, from the ground it was about 2 feet tall and then the diameter is about 5 to 6 feet. I was hovering between 5 and 10 feet, mostly the 10ish range.

the mc-e light has more of a white light and the shockwave has more of a blue light (which i prefer) its not really bad, its more of a preference. So i guess a barely noticeable difference.

this light is very nice, on high it stayed on for 112mins

i must say the main reason i love it is the size and second is the feel third would be the magnetic switch.

I am very interested in the light here. The only question that I can think of at this time is the capacity of the batteries that come with the light. I would need to pick up two more sets of batteries to be able to use the light in the manner that I want to. Does anyone know what the capacity of the stock batteries are?

Thanks

Dan

* High = 1.4A (2.8A @ LED) = 2 hours run-time = 700 lumen
* Medium = 650mA (1.3A @ LED) = 5 hours run-time = 375 lumen
* Low = 250mA (500mA @ LED) = 12 hours run-time = 160 lumen
* Strobe = 650mA (PWM 1.3A @ LED) = 5 hours run-time = 700 lumen

You still did not answer the question as to the capacity of the batteries that come with the light. Are they 1000 MHA, or are they 3000 MHA batteries. This will make a big difference as to the cost to get an extra set of batteries. Thank you for the run times though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom