November in Coz... What are dive conditions like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shardison

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this has most likely been asked 1000 times, but what are conditions like in November?

Are currents ripping any more then they are in May?

Is there a greater risk for down currents?

Trying to figure out when i can get back to Coz... I've only been in May, but I went to Roatan in November over Thanksgiving week in 2008.

I figure that conditions would be similar, but Roatan was virtually current free and very easy diving.:idk:

We went last November and I don't remember the currents being any different than when we were there in January or April. We did have the port close one morning but only after we had headed out. We got soaked coming back to the dock as the Dive Cat doesn't have a sheltered area like the other boats. I asked if they might go out later but they said "no" so we went ahead and made an appointment to see someone in preparation of our move to Cozumel next year.

Well of course once we had just showered and stowed our gear...the port re-opened and everyone ran around spreading the word that the boats were going out again at 11am. We passed because of the appointment but it was okay as we did complete our package for 5 days of 2-tank diving. We were okay with this as we go on 4 one-week dive vacations every year. The dive shop just set aside our Nitrox tanks for the next day.

All was good. So much so that we are booked again this year for Nov 9-16 at SCC and can't wait. This will also be our last trip there as a tourist as we move in Feb or March.

Betty

Thanks Betty!!

And congrats on you being a Coz local in the near future... I'm so envious!!

Ohhh.. BTW any idea why airfaire seems to almost double in November? (my guess.... low season and not many flights?)

This will be our third year spending Thanksgiving week in Coz. The diving has been great and we haven't experienced currents any stronger than other times during the year that we've visited. We always stay at the Blue Angel_--it's a wonderful place that caters to divers. If you go in November make sure to bring something warm to wear after your dives. Sometimes the air is a bit chilly as the boat speeds along to the SI location or back to the BA. We ended up buying fleece lined boat coats and they were a great investment.

If you do go at Thanksgiving, there are a number of restaurants that serve the traditional turkey dinner. My husband is happy that he doesn't have to eat turkey dinner and and I'm happy I don't have to cook it!!

Back
Top Bottom